Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Overnight transfer DCA - IAD?

Overnight transfer DCA - IAD?

Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ohliuw
I have a flight arriving at DCA in the evening (from Canada) then on to Asia next day AM from IAD (check in with Japanese). The flights are on the same United ticket, and I assume United does not provide accommodation.

First question is, will they transfer the checked bags, or I have to drag them with me?

Second is, what would be the best (and cheapo) strategy for hotel and transfer?

Thanks
Did you take the flight already? I would suggest taking a shuttle from DCA to IAD and then staying at one of the closest hotel to IAD. Probably the cheapest way of doing things.
The airports are 30 minutes apart. And yes, about 30 miles. I think taking a one-way rental is an absurdly expensive idea. (Not being disrespectful.)
ANOTHER OPTION IS UBER. UberX is probably about $45 to IAD from DCA. A Black car would run probably $120 airport to airport. So, if halfway, cut that significantly. Then you can find a hotel with shuttle from the hotel to IAD.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Some hotels near IAD can be very cheap - dependent on the time of week and the time of year. I've snagged the Westin Dulles for less than $90 for night getaways with the family.

Only concern is getting to the hotel from DCA. The savings might be lost in cabbing there.

If I could find a cheap hotel near DCA, I'd almost rather the OP do that and then be able to take Metro from Crystal City/Pentagon City to IAD (transferring to Washington Flyer at Wiehle Ave.).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Smile

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Some hotels near IAD can be very cheap - dependent on the time of week and the time of year. I've snagged the Westin Dulles for less than $90 for night getaways with the family.

Only concern is getting to the hotel from DCA. The savings might be lost in cabbing there.

If I could find a cheap hotel near DCA, I'd almost rather the OP do that and then be able to take Metro from Crystal City/Pentagon City to IAD (transferring to Washington Flyer at Wiehle Ave.).
Chances are that you can find a ride buddy that will be transferring. You can do a split-fare on Uber. I suggest never taking a "shared ride" (not meaning splitting.) Shared can mean several stops and hours of driving (As you may know.) Even by yourself, I looked and the estimated fare with UberX starts at $35 airport to airport. Whether you split the fare or you pay alone, it is very reasonable. You could then get to a close hotel if you have to split and direct to IAD. Otherwise, the airport to airport price is a good estimate for what it will cost to get to an IAD nearby hotel from DCA. I wonder what hotels if any provide complimentary shuttle... Probably the Ritz, in which case it wouldnt matter what it costs anyways. Hahaha
If you can remember the name of the hotel, please get back to me.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The OP hasn't been back since the day he first posted 3.5 months ago. Not sure why this old thread was bumped.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'll refrain from offering advice to stay at Rosslyn and not Crystal City, then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.