FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Overnight transfer DCA - IAD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1757485-overnight-transfer-dca-iad.html)

ohliuw Apr 4, 2016 5:12 pm

Overnight transfer DCA - IAD?

I have a flight arriving at DCA in the evening (from Canada) then on to Asia next day AM from IAD (check in with Japanese). The flights are on the same United ticket, and I assume United does not provide accommodation.

First question is, will they transfer the checked bags, or I have to drag them with me?

Second is, what would be the best (and cheapo) strategy for hotel and transfer?

Thanks

Yoshi212 Apr 4, 2016 5:31 pm

It looks like your ticket may be from UA but your first segment will be flown on AC if it's a direct flight. If so you'll be responsible for the baggage and accommodations. I'd look for a hotel that have a complimentary shuttle for both airports so you're near/have easy access to IAD for the morning flight.

ohliuw Apr 4, 2016 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 26437011)
It looks like your ticket may be from UA but your first segment will be flown on AC if it's a direct flight. If so you'll be responsible for the baggage and accommodations. I'd look for a hotel that have a complimentary shuttle for both airports so you're near/have easy access to IAD for the morning flight.

first flight is United 8488 onto United 7941.

Any ideas of such budget hotels?

BearX220 Apr 4, 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 (Post 26437011)
I'd look for a hotel that have a complimentary shuttle for both airports...

As the two airports are 30 miles apart I know of no hotel with a free shuttle serving both.

I would stay in Crystal City, across the parkway from DCA, on arrival -- a shuttle will come fetch you from the airport, though some stop running at 10p or 11p. Your flight is supposed to arrive around 719p though. Next morning, use Metro to get from Crystal City out to Dulles for cheap (Blue Line Crystal City to Rosslyn, change to Silver Line for Wiehle Avenue, then pick up the shuttle bus to IAD from there).

Your flight to NRT, UA7941, is actually operated by ANA and does not depart Dulles until 1240pm, giving you plenty of time to get out there in the morning.

You can almost always Priceline a 3* or 4* Crystal City hotel for less than $100, and many are within walking distance of the Crystal City Metro for a quick morning getaway.

ohliuw Apr 4, 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 26437061)
As the two airports are 30 miles apart I know of no hotel with a free shuttle serving both.

I would stay in Crystal City, across the parkway from DCA, on arrival -- a shuttle will come fetch you from the airport, though some stop running at 10p or 11p. Your flight is supposed to arrive around 719p though. Next morning, use Metro to get from Crystal City out to Dulles for cheap (Blue Line Crystal City to Rosslyn, change to Silver Line for Wiehle Avenue, then pick up the shuttle bus to IAD from there).

Your flight to NRT, UA7941, is actually operated by ANA and does not depart Dulles until 1240pm, giving you plenty of time to get out there in the morning.

You can almost always Priceline a 3* or 4* Crystal City hotel for less than $100, and many are within walking distance of the Crystal City Metro for a quick morning getaway.

thanks, my biggest worry is the checkin bags, as I will be travelling with a wife and a toddler and 2 checked bags + carry ons. So I really don't see how I could do it. Maybe a one-way car rental?

glennaa11 Apr 4, 2016 6:16 pm

As noted, the airports are pretty far apart.

If you do plan to use the Metro as noted above, leave yourself plenty of time. It's not the most reliable system and there are lots of breakdowns and delays.

A taxi would probably run somewhere around $75-80 or so.

As for where to stay, Crystal City is not a bad option as there are many hotels there so Priceline or Hotwire is a decent idea. There are a few hotels out near IAD if you'd prefer to take your time in the morning.

BearX220 Apr 4, 2016 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ohliuw (Post 26437145)
thanks, my biggest worry is the checkin bags, as I will be travelling with a wife and a toddler and 2 checked bags + carry ons. So I really don't see how I could do it. Maybe a one-way car rental?

Ah, OK. Better then to get your Crystal City hotel to order you a car service to get you out to IAD. Returning a rental car at Dulles is a time-consuming pain in the neck, no fun for toddlers or anyone else.

You can call the hotel before you fly your first leg to set this up. As you want to get to Dulles no later than 1030a, fix the car to depart Crystal City at 900a. Might make good time, but you'll be glad of the extra cushion if you don't. DC traffic is a nightmare.

I didn't know you were a family + toddler -- that makes a Crystal City hotel even more sensible -- it'll be a fast five-minute trip from DCA and as little stress as possible in the evening / cranky hours for the little one.

ohliuw Apr 4, 2016 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 26437174)
Ah, OK. Better then to get your Crystal City hotel to order you a car service to get you out to IAD. Returning a rental car at Dulles is a time-consuming pain in the neck, no fun for toddlers or anyone else.

You can call the hotel before you fly your first leg to set this up. As you want to get to Dulles no later than 1030a, fix the car to depart Crystal City at 900a. Might make good time, but you'll be glad of the extra cushion if you don't. DC traffic is a nightmare.

I didn't know you were a family + toddler -- that makes a Crystal City hotel even more sensible -- it'll be a fast five-minute trip from DCA and as little stress as possible in the evening / cranky hours for the little one.

Good point about the crankiness, but actually I am more concerned about the long stretch form IAD to BKK, so I am thinking of getting to IAD on the evening and allow for more time and less stress in the morning. The little has travelled around the globe few times already, so the short flight from YOW to DCA wouldn't be an issue. Plus I got "one of these" who won't go to bed before 10 no matter how hard we try.

I checked the PL Express deals, and the prices for IAD and DCA are in the same range. Just need to figure out whether I should rent or get a cab ... Rental is about $40 + gas, not a big saving over a cab, but I don't mind driving. I guess I can bid on PL, and if there is no shuttle included in the hotel, I will rent. If there is a shuttle, I will cab ...

BearX220 Apr 4, 2016 7:26 pm

Fair enough -- only caveat would be that there are fewer hotels at Dulles and they are generally more expensive. Good luck!

Often1 Apr 4, 2016 7:43 pm

OP - You are on codeshares even if they have UA flight #'s. But, it doesn't really matter. Either way, you are responsible for your own hotel, transportation and luggage

Uber (w. car seat option) will be substantially cheaper than a taxi and a lot more pleasant. I would price out hotels around DCA and IAD and stay at whichever one is cheaper, with a strong preference for an IAD hotel if the prices are anywhere close. It's always better to be closer to your destination than to have the added stress of a journey in the AM.

Also, DC area traffic can be miserable in the morning and the last thing you need is extra time in a car before a long-haul flight.

Give yourself plenty of time at IAD. Security checkpoint lines can be really long.

466SHH Apr 4, 2016 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by ohliuw (Post 26437145)

Save your sanity. Here's a link to a shuttle service between the two. Not worth trying to save a few bucks with a toddler in tow. You will regret it in the end.

http://www.theairportshuttle.com/airport_to_airport

It is possible that they will drop you or pick you up at an airport hotel. Details on the website. At $59 for the first person in your party and $9 a person thereafter, it's a $77 proposition for 3 of you. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Especially if you have bags and a baby seat as well as the baby. ;)

If you can't get them to pickup or drop off at a hotel, it might be easiest to stay in Crystal City (one stop on the metro from DCA and the station is connected to some of the hotels) and then just go back to DCA for your airport to airport shuttle in the morning.

Alternatively, take the airport to airport shuttle on the front end and then stay at an IAD hotel with free shuttle service.

HTH

466SHH Apr 4, 2016 9:22 pm

Just saw the other suggestions that got posted while I was researching mine.

For a $30 or so difference, I think I would avoid the stress of driving in an unfamiliar city and dropping off a rent car. For a rental that short you will either have to prove you bought gas or pay a huge top off fee (it was $15 a gallon in FLL last month -- glad I remembered to replace the 4 gallons I used).

I agree that DC traffic is awful. I never drive there.

swag Apr 4, 2016 10:14 pm

You don't mention the day of the week; Dulles area hotels can be more expensive mid-week ($100-150), but are often dirt-cheap ($60-80) on Friday and Saturday nights.

If you do rent a car, Dulles returns aren't bad, just a 5 minute shuttle ride from the lot to the terminal. And there's a reasonably priced gas station on the airport grounds, right around the corner from the rental lots. If you don't want to deal with the bags and family on the shuttle, just drop the wife and toddler and bags at the terminal, then go by yourself to return the car.

szehui Apr 5, 2016 3:22 pm

If this is going to be during the week, I would strongly suggest getting a hotel near IAD instead of DCA. The Beltway is its own circle of hell at morning rush hour, which starts at like 6 and probably doesn't end until 10 (in other words, right when you are going to want to be headed towards IAD if you overnight in Crystal City as has been previously suggested). By the time you arrive at DCA, on the other hand, the evening rush should be largely over and the journey to an IAD-area airport hotel smoother.

Oformula Apr 5, 2016 3:56 pm

I'll second the Dulles Hotel recommendation. Especially if you're landing at National in the evening, taking the Dulles Access Road at night and skipping rush hour the next morning is a good idea.