Wiki Posts
Search

Connection through ORD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver; BA Silver
Connection through ORD

Looking for some advice please. Arriving into ORD from LHR on AA47/BA1544 on 23rd December into I assume, Terminal 5. Scheduled landing is 1455. I want to get a domestic United flight from Terminal one which leaves at 1641. Is this connection of 106 minutes too tight or doable? Flying business so hopefully off the plane fast!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

One ticket or separate tickets? Checked baggage or not?

More importantly, have you consulted your local soothsayer to determine whether AA47 will operate on time on December 23?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by voyager83
Looking for some advice please. Arriving into ORD from LHR on AA47/BA1544 on 23rd December into I assume, Terminal 5. Scheduled landing is 1455. I want to get a domestic United flight from Terminal one which leaves at 1641. Is this connection of 106 minutes too tight or doable? Flying business so hopefully off the plane fast!
I think this depends mostly on how many people happen to be in front of you in the passport line, and I am not sure how to figure that out in advance. I have stood in some MONSTER passport/customs lines at ORD.

The T5 - T1 train is pretty fast.

I would plan for a bit more cushion if you can, especially winter/summer with the common delays.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I agree with the above. In my experience, allowing less than 2 hours to clear immigration and customs at any major US airport without Global Entry is taking a big risk. There is no way to predict whether your flight will be on time or how long the lines are. Three hours would be much safer. It's like the slogan I learned when I took flying lessons when trying to decide whether the weather is acceptable for flying - better to be down here wishing i was up there than up there wishing I was down here. Better to be early than late.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JerryFF
It's like the slogan I learned when I took flying lessons when trying to decide whether the weather is acceptable for flying - better to be down here wishing i was up there than up there wishing I was down here. Better to be early than late.
I remember that one well!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I agree with the above. In my experience, allowing less than 2 hours to clear immigration and customs at any major US airport without Global Entry is taking a big risk. There is no way to predict whether your flight will be on time or how long the lines are. Three hours would be much safer. It's like the slogan I learned when I took flying lessons when trying to decide whether the weather is acceptable for flying - better to be down here wishing i was up there than up there wishing I was down here. Better to be early than late.
Yes. Three hours = less stress + much better chance of making it.

And I remember that lesson from my IP very well.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by voyager83
HBO would help a lot as you could use the "one stop" combined immigration and customs route. If you have separate tickets then you should really allow more time or be willing to risk buying a new UA ticket. You would be protected on AA even on separate tickets. ORD can be very quick with GE, even with a checked bag, but regular immigration to the baggage claim can be very slow if a few jumbos get bunched.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember also that if you miss a flight on December 23rd, the odds are that there won't be another seat to your destination until December 25th.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Last time I made a connection through ORD from an INTL to a domestic I had 2 hours and almost miss-connected. I was also in Business class and the flight arrived on time. However, I didn't have global entry at the time and had been to Turkey and was traveling alone so I required additional screening (that TOOK FOREVER).
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget it. ORD will be a zoo on that afternoon and the 24th will be worse. AA will protect you even across tickets, but that is not the issue. The issue is when the next available space is and that could well be the 25th or worse if there are other IRROPS.

Where are you headed? Knowing your options will help a great deal.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Often1
AA will protect you even across tickets, but that is not the issue.

Yes, that's not the issue, because he wants to connect to UA not AA. On separate tickets between AA and UA he's got absolutely no protection, even if there was availability on later flights.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Connection through ORD

even a 3 hour on this would be risky and unwise. for december holiday travel in Chicago plus separate tickets on separate airlines, I wouldn't feel comfortable without an overnight stay. Not sure how much money you save with 2 separate tickets here, but it may be penny wise pound foolish.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No IROPs protection and no holiday availability at any price means a very expensive Christmas spent at ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.