Wiki Posts
Search

reward flight - which one is easier to modify

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

reward flight - which one is easier to modify

Hi,

I am planning to book now for a reward flight in December, I have points for UA, AA and BA, I can book AA flight on BA website or UA flight on United.com..

I have googled and check the wiki pages, however, due to the changes last year, I am not sure whether they are still accurate, hence I am hoping I can confirm here...

It seems that I can make changes on the BA site and the worse scenario will be for me to lose the tax which is about $5...

but it seems that I cannot get around paying the $75 for changes on united.

I hope to know whether the above is still valid....another reason for me to double check is that if I were to use BA point, I will have to fly out of LGA instead of EWR which is closer, but if there is a chance I may have to make the changes, I will just take LGA....

sorry, should have posted which one is easier/cheaper to modify
thanks

Last edited by annamom; Jun 8, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Current BAEC policy is not to make any additional collection when a BAEC member cancels a reward. So if you only paid $5.60 for a domestic redemption on AA, you will only forfeit $5.60 -- even though BAEC's published cancellation fee is higher.

However, if you want to change a BAEC redemption rather than cancel a redemption and book a new one, then BAEC's change fee would apply.

If you're flying on a nonstop to a destination that is not very far from NYC, BAEC will also charge fewer Avios than United would charge miles.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Based on Mileage Plus's fee schedule, it appears that non-elite members are charged hefty fees for changing or canceling award flights:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ticketing.aspx
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

thanks. that's what I found... but I saw a blog claimed that there might be a work around...but I don't want to take the chances...
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by annamom
thanks. that's what I found... but I saw a blog claimed that there might be a work around...but I don't want to take the chances...
What is the supposed workaround?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
What is the supposed workaround?
sorry, my mistake, I mixed up with another reward booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.