Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can gate agent change award flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Thank you everyone for all your imput. It was a no go. It appears we would have to pay a fee of $200 per pax and the difference in fares. Not worth it. Its funny bcause the lovely young woman at the ticket desk's first reaction was that it shouldnt be a problem....until she made a phone call to check. It just seems so illogical as our friends boarded the flight with tons of empty seats in biz class. I guess I will have to whittle away the hours in this dismal excuse of a lounge...I know, first world problems.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Wouldn't there be a potential issue with number of meals loaded on the respective flights etc.? I would think for logistical reasons, if nothing else, a last minute change might be seen as awkward. That said, definitely worth asking.
USA carriers are likely to be catered close to full because they will fill seats with nonrevs. BA is notorious for offering upgrades with the understanding that there will be no meal service.

OP should first try to call the airline whose miles are being used for the flights that OP would like to change. Some carriers open a lot of last minute award space and hence OP might be able to change the tickets in advance for free or a small fee by calling agents of the FF program whose miles are being used--not the operating or marketing carrier.

If this doesn't work, it can't hurt to ask nicely at the airport, but not that you're asking for a favor. Even if seats are open, this doesn't mean that the right category of award inventory is available. Note also that there might only be "leftover" seats available for assignment on the new flight, so be prepared for bad seats and not sitting together.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by crazy4travel
Thank you everyone for all your imput. It was a no go. It appears we would have to pay a fee of $200 per pax and the difference in fares. Not worth it. Its funny bcause the lovely young woman at the ticket desk's first reaction was that it shouldnt be a problem....until she made a phone call to check. It just seems so illogical as our friends boarded the flight with tons of empty seats in biz class. I guess I will have to whittle away the hours in this dismal excuse of a lounge...I know, first world problems.
What airline and FF program was this? The $200 fee is the normal change fee for most domestic paid tickets. I'm not aware of fees this high for changes to award tickets--for example, DL charges nonelites $150 but refuses to make changes within 72 hours of departure, while other programs allow free changes if the route/date/origin and destination rare unchanged.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BA is notorious for offering upgrades...
Actually, BA is notorious for not offering upgrades!
Old May 9, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by crazy4travel
What airline and FF program was this? The $200 fee is the normal change fee for most domestic paid tickets. I'm not aware of fees this high for changes to award tickets--for example, DL charges nonelites $150 but refuses to make changes within 72 hours of departure, while other programs allow free changes if the route/date/origin and destination rare unchanged.

The very first post says it was an Avios ticket, flying BOS-DUB, which means it was Aer Lingus.
Accordingly, this entire thread belongs in the Aer Lingus forum, as the OP was asking about Aer Lingus policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.