Wiki Posts
Search

Can gate agent change award flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

Hi everyone, I googled till the cows came home but couldnt find an answer to this question. Hubs and I are using avios to fly Bos-Dub tommorow. We are going with another couple but couldnt find 4 awards so we are flying 3 hrs apart. Expert flyer is showing 7+ seats available (biz) on the 6:00pm so i was hoping aer lingus would release them but they did not. Several calls to BA got me no where. Is it possible that they can be changed at the airport? I realize awards are a different animal than purchased tickets but it does seem silly to have empty seats and not allow a last minute switch. Has anyone been able to make this work or am i looking at a 5 hr wait in the lounge?
Thank you in advance.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the time I spent working for an airline, the GAs can do pretty much whatever they want. They would get into trouble only if it impacted revenue or was blatantly against the rules.

Now, whether they will do it is another matter. A lot depends on the kind of day they've been having, how many dipstick pax they've been exasperated by, whether the city manager is clamping down, and so on.

You've already got confirmed seats and the trip will go off as planned. It wouldn't hurt to ask, but be polite. As Don Corelone says, "Mention it - don't insist".

Acting like a DYKWIA is pretty much guaranteed to get you a cold shoulder.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks BigLar,
I guess the question will be is it against the rules. We will find out and i will follow your advice and be ever so sweet😌
Old May 4, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are at the airport, and the plane is going to leave with the seats empty, it would seem odd if they would not be permitted to make a change for you
Old May 4, 2015, 5:45 pm

You mention waiting in the lounge - sometimes the lounge desk people have a lot of power also. Try asking there first, if they say no-go, then go to gate agent and try your luck there.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Are you checking bags? If so, I'd ask before the gate... ask when reaching the check in counter, with bag matching procedures and all.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good point re airline lounge if there is one (and even better point re checked bags, if not carry on only)
Old May 4, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,
We are not checking bags and will ask at check in, at the lounge and at the gate. It truly seems ridiculous that we couldnt use the empty seats but the BA agents were pretty adamant its not going to happen.....it will be interesting, but travel always is
Old May 4, 2015, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A number of airlines require the desired flight have the requisite award class inventory to be able to do this. Some agents may be flexible enough to do this if your desired flight is about to depart with empty seats, but many either may feel inhibited if the rules don't allow it.

Ask nicely and be prepared to take "no" as the answer; if your changes are granted, congratulations; be sure to thank the agent.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it's unlikely, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that these ticket types are really inflexible and gate agents don't have a great deal of latitude where this is concerned. I do agree that you should ask at the gate, but I'd expect the answer to be a firm 'no' regardless of how many J seats are open on the later flight.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
From the time I spent working for an airline, the GAs can do pretty much whatever they want. They would get into trouble only if it impacted revenue or was blatantly against the rules.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it's unlikely, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that these ticket types are really inflexible and gate agents don't have a great deal of latitude where this is concerned.
In my experience gate agents in the USA tend have more authority to make changes than in other countries. In many non USA countries the gate agent is for checking only. A ticketing counter or lounge personal is needed to ticket changes.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In my experience gate agents in the USA tend have more authority to make changes than in other countries. In many non USA countries the gate agent is for checking only. A ticketing counter or lounge personal is needed to ticket changes.
An excellent point which I forgot to make in my haste. Ex-US I'd say your chances might be as high as 50%, Ex-anywhere else very slim.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
True. Some cultures have a very unempowering way of training front line employees; they would feel compelled to follow the rules and not ask a supervisor or take any initiative themselves.

Australia, USA, Austria iirc are at the top of the list where the opposite is true.

The best thing is to inquire at the ticket counter and then the gate agent. If the gate is particularly busy, even in the USA such a request is likelier to get shorts grift - though if they view granting the request as ridding themselves of an annoyance, they just might do it if there are several seats available.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
such a request is likelier to get shorts grift
Ouch, is there a cream for that?

I take it autocorrect messed up with 'short shrift'?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I think it's unlikely, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that these ticket types are really inflexible and gate agents don't have a great deal of latitude where this is concerned. I do agree that you should ask at the gate, but I'd expect the answer to be a firm 'no' regardless of how many J seats are open on the later flight.
Wouldn't there be a potential issue with number of meals loaded on the respective flights etc.? I would think for logistical reasons, if nothing else, a last minute change might be seen as awkward. That said, definitely worth asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.