Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a TENeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Planning a TENeymoon

This is my first foray into the world of reward travel. I have been spending time reading the forums and researching different methods of earning rewards. I would like to get some advice/help when it come to booking a big trip for my wife and me. Please read the outline below and let me know any suggestions you may have. I will appreciate all help given.

Currently using AMEX Target RedCard to pay bills such as car and mortgage so I have been able to meet the MSL on the cards applied for.

Background
Graduated College in May '05, Married in Jan. '06. Being broke recent grads we were not able to take any kind of honeymoon nor weekend getaway. We decided that we would wait and on our tenth anniversary go somewhere nice of my wife's choosing. Neither of us are a world traveler, she's never had a passport and I have only gone to China once for work.

Desired Results
2 Weeks in Europe, split between Paris, Rome, and Athens (4 Days in each City)
Dates: May 2016, 6th-21st or 13th-28th

Current Plan
1.) Flights
Trans-Atlantic
Fly RT on American (MSP to CDG) in Business Class
We both have the US Airways and AAdvantage Personal Cards. Totaling 100k+ miles each person
Intra-European Flights
Fly PAR to ROM to ATH to PAR
Currently using Kayak to find cheap economy cash fares.

2.) Hotels
Paris - 4 Nights
Planning on getting Hyatt Visa Card for each.
Would use free night certificates to stay in Paris.
-Which hotel to stay at?
-How do you use certificates from 2 people to stay in same room for all 4 nights?
Rome - 4 Nights
Both have IHG Rewards Club Card - 70k points each
Thinking about staying at either Hotel Indigo or Intercontinental
-Suggestions?
Athens - 4 Nights
Where to stay?
What rewards could we use here?
Possibly Paris again - 1 Night
This is in case our layover/transfer in Paris is overly long.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Your questions are probably not very well suited to the Info Desk forum. That said, we will leave the thread open for a bit in case other members have some suggestions for better ways of allocating your hotel awards.

Meanwhile, I suggest you take a look at FT's hotel program forums to see what advice has been shared in the past for the specific cities you're interested in booking. Click the Miles&Points link in the page header to find the index.

Also, search the FT destination forums dedicated to each of those areas to find recommendations on accommodations, etc. See the Destinations link in the site header.

Finally, if you still have questions, you'll get the best feedback by posting them in the relevant forums.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

1. Finding two Business Class SAAver award seats on the same AA TATL flights in May might prove challenging. Have you found anything yet?

2. Since AA awards are all one-ways, you do not have to return to PAR to return home: you can fly home to MSP from ATH (or perhaps from one of the Greek Isles) if you can find the needed SAAver award seats.

3. To get four nights at the same Hyatt hotel, you would book the first two free nights, and your wife would book the last two free nights.

4. Not sure if there are Fairmont hotels in any of your desired cities, but if there are, take a look at the Chase/Fairmont credit card for additional free hotel nights.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Don't limit your searches for cheap flights in Europe to Kayak. Many of the low cost airlines do not come up on Kayak. I have used billigflieger.de in the past, but I am sure there are other portals, jut google "low cost airlines europe".
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Originally Posted by Sapalas
This is my first foray into the world of reward travel. I have been spending time reading the forums and researching different methods of earning rewards. I would like to get some advice/help when it come to booking a big trip for my wife and me. Please read the outline below and let me know any suggestions you may have. I will appreciate all help given.

Currently using AMEX Target RedCard to pay bills such as car and mortgage so I have been able to meet the MSL on the cards applied for.

Background
Graduated College in May '05, Married in Jan. '06. Being broke recent grads we were not able to take any kind of honeymoon nor weekend getaway. We decided that we would wait and on our tenth anniversary go somewhere nice of my wife's choosing. Neither of us are a world traveler, she's never had a passport and I have only gone to China once for work.

Desired Results
2 Weeks in Europe, split between Paris, Rome, and Athens (4 Days in each City)
Dates: May 2016, 6th-21st or 13th-28th

Current Plan
1.) Flights
Trans-Atlantic
Fly RT on American (MSP to CDG) in Business Class
We both have the US Airways and AAdvantage Personal Cards. Totaling 100k+ miles each person
Intra-European Flights
Fly PAR to ROM to ATH to PAR
Currently using Kayak to find cheap economy cash fares.

The key is to find TATL flights in business, you can connect within europe for the same amount of miles. Fly into MAD, BCR, FRA,(just some examples) and then connect to CDG. you could also pay cash for that flight as well if there are none. the good news is you are about 11 months out so when the AA award calendar opens up (normally 330(1?) days out) book then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.