Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which miles or points to use for intra-Asian flights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A

After 5-6 months of churning. Im planning on booking some intr-asia travel and currently have the following points below .

Could anyone please advise on if you were to book the trips below yourself, would you use budget carriers or your points balances?

Thanks so much, my girlfriend and I very much appreciate it!!

Program Points
AAdavantage 225,447
AAdavantage (Girlfriend) 115,000
AMEX MR 46,296
Chase UR 80,413
Citi Thank You 92,847
IHG 160,000
US Airways 80,000
United Mileage Plus 55,000
United Mileage Plus(Friend) 55,000
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by JBG89
After 5-6 months of churning. Im planning on booking some intr-asia travel and currently have the following points below .

Could anyone please advise on if you were to book the trips below yourself, would you use budget carriers or your points balances?

Thanks so much, my girlfriend and I very much appreciate it!!

Program Points
AAdavantage 225,447
AAdavantage (Girlfriend) 115,000
AMEX MR 46,296
Chase UR 80,413
Citi Thank You 92,847
IHG 160,000
US Airways 80,000
United Mileage Plus 55,000
United Mileage Plus(Friend) 55,000

it seems most of your points are valid for oneworld . I would suggest booking your US to Asia segment via AA miles (you should be able to go at least once in in biz class without even touching your girlfriend's miles, Also, utilize those US air miles and book itineraries with stopovers (while you still can)
then, transfer your UR miles (MR points maybe also) to BA and utilize their distance based redemption costs to your advantage for inter asia travel on carriers such as Cathay pacific whom often utilize the 777 for example, even on short flights.

the ultimate decision on how to use your miles is up to you, but always remember to keep a stash of reserve miles avaliable in case you find yourself in a bind.

hope that helps
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:57 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Message and reply transferred to the Information Desk forum because award redemption is not a credit card topic. Once the miles and points are earned the way they were generated is unimportant.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, AS, Good food in distant places
I've used Air Asia on multiple trips within Asia, and they never fail to disappoint. I've bought tickets from HKG/Macau to KUL or BKK for less than $30ai one-way before with them, you should take a look.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: most of them
Avios can be great depending on how long your flights are.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
it seems most of your points are valid for oneworld . I would suggest booking your US to Asia segment via AA miles (you should be able to go at least once in in biz class without even touching your girlfriend's miles, Also, utilize those US air miles and book itineraries with stopovers (while you still can)
then, transfer your UR miles (MR points maybe also) to BA and utilize their distance based redemption costs to your advantage for inter asia travel on carriers such as Cathay pacific whom often utilize the 777 for example, even on short flights.

the ultimate decision on how to use your miles is up to you, but always remember to keep a stash of reserve miles avaliable in case you find yourself in a bind.

hope that helps
Thanks so much! Just booked the AA long haul flights! Regarding the US airways miles. Which segments would you recommend for the US Airways stopovers?

Thanks again
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:42 pm

Don't forget, flights might just be cheap enough to buy. Sometimes you can get a flight using points, but the time of the flight is inconvenient compared to a paid LCC flight.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: most of them
That's a good point. And in that part of the world there are also some interesting Fifth Freedom routes which tend to have cheaper fares than you might expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.