Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

[Wiki] What does this mean?! (The newbie glossary thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Before posting here, check out the FlyerTalk glossary. Also, many forums have their own glossary threads, which may provide help with jargon used in specific forums. Be sure to check any that apply out:

[to be added--please add if you know of one!]

If you're still stumped, post here and we'll try to help! It often helps if you include some of the context where you found the term.

List of frequently-asked definitions:
  • MR=Mileage Run
  • AS=Alaska Airlines
  • FT=Flyertalk
  • DO=crazy Flyertalk gathering traditionally involving food & wine
  • CPM=Cost per mile (for MR calculation)
  • EQM/EQP/EQS=Elite Qualifying Mile/ Elite Qualifying Point/ Elite Qualifying Segment
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

What is BR*G please?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by THE LSE
What is BR*G please?
Hmm, what's the context?

It could be Best Rate Guarantee, something offered by some hotel chains to guarantee the lowest rate is shown on their own site (with various refunds and credits available if it isn't)--although the asterisk wouldn't make sense, in that case.

Maybe Eva Airlines (BR) Star Alliance Gold (*G)?

ETA (edited to add): I see you got an answer in the Star Alliance forum confirming my second guess was correct. Note that on FlyerTalk, cross-posting (posting the same thing in multiple forums or threads) is typically frowned upon, as we like to keep all discussion on a particular topic in one place so everyone has the full story when reading it.

Last edited by jackal; Nov 15, 2013 at 11:37 am
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Help Menu Link to Glossary and others...

Originally Posted by jackal
Hmm, what's the context?
This is the context from a different thread, and LA_Traveler had already given the answer:

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Originally Posted by THE LSE
What is BR*G ?
EVA Air *G
For future reference, FT has a Help Menu at the very top, where one can find Glossary and other helpful links:

Link to FT Glossary
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:46 pm

List of acronyms

Is there a list somewhere?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
For many. Look at the "Help" link at the top of every page. You'll get a dropdown menu when you hover your pointer over the link. Three-letter airport codes may be found under "Airport Code Lookup." Other commonly used abbreviations can be found under "Glossary."
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UR, SPG, HHonors Gold
Is there a glossary of acronyms for us newbies?

I've seen at least a dozen or so new acronyms just by lurking around the board. I figured out a few, but some still elude me (AOR?).

Is there a glossary thread or something that has all of the common shorthand acronyms used by FT members?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Locke42
I've seen at least a dozen or so new acronyms just by lurking around the board. I figured out a few, but some still elude me (AOR?).

Is there a glossary thread or something that has all of the common shorthand acronyms used by FT members?
Click on the word "Help" at the top of the page. You will find access to the glossary. And welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:05 am

It took me about two months to notice there is a "Glossary" link on the bottom of page. Next to it is the "Airport Code Lookup," which is also helpful
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Locke42

Originally Posted by onthego15
Click on the word "Help" at the top of the page. You will find access to the glossary. And welcome to Flyertalk.
Yes, but the glosssary doesn't seem to contain credit-card-related terms, like AOR (which is short for app-o-rama, which is applying for a bunch of card offers in a short burst of time) or "app-o-rama" spelled out.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UR, SPG, HHonors Gold
Yeah, I finally figured out AOR, but that glossary does need more credit card-related acronyms.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, but the glosssary doesn't seem to contain credit-card-related terms, like AOR (which is short for app-o-rama, which is applying for a bunch of card offers in a short burst of time) or "app-o-rama" spelled out.
If anyone knows the definition for terms that are missing, please send them to [email protected]. The IB team will be delighted to add them. We went thru a big scrub and update several months back, but inevitably have missed terms commonly used on FlyerTalk.

I've just submitted this one. Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, Marriott; BeWelcome, Servas
Acronyms?

Is there a sticky anywhere listing various of the acronyms used on the FT forums? If not, it might be worth creating one here, in the FAQ, or in the wiki, as seems most appropriate.

Thanks...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Go to Help ->Glossary and you'll find it.

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA, Marriott; BeWelcome, Servas
Thanks. My bad for not looking there first. Now another question unrelated to the thread title - no make that two questions:

1) Is it preferable to start new threads even if, as in this case, the second topic is likely small and not terribly useful to most people, and

2) What is the procedure, if any, to post one's itinerary on the Flight Connect / Lounge Connect boards if said flight is actually a train (or - gasp! - even a bus)?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lumeria

1) Is it preferable to start new threads even if, as in this case, the second topic is likely small and not terribly useful to most people, and
If it's not already covered by a thread -- perhaps a more general thread -- feel free to start a new thread. (A moderator can always consolidate it.) If you bury a question within a thread with a different title or topic, the people with answers to your questions may not see it -- and it will be harder for future searchers to find answers in the future.

In my experience, I find the small, narrow topic threads to be a lot better resource than long rambling threads that cover multiple topics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.