Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program for this specific flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which FF program for this specific flight

I normally fly Star Alliance, and collect Aeroplan, and have nothing meaningful anymore in other programs.

I am taking a flight Toronto - Dallas - Brisbane - Townesville - Brisbane - LA - Toronto, with the flights operated by American and Qantas (ticketed on Qantas). In economy.

I have no plans in the near future to fly back to Australia, and there is a small chance I may use American to fly domestic, but certainly not a lot.

Is there a program you can recommend that would give me the best options (e.g. in terms of miles, but also expiry of miles, etc.)

It would be nice to get something out of this one trip, but if not, for the miles not to expire before I can earn more on a similar carrier.

Is there any "alternative" FF program (like the Aegean of * Alliance) I should look at to simply gain some sort of status more quickly?

The only hotel program I have anything useful with is Priority Club, if that weighs into things at all (most other hotels I have bits and bobs, but would consider joining a hotel program if that was the best way to get / use some miles from the airline (like I do with Marriott - Aeroplan for example).

Thank you!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not clear to me if all the flights are all QF flight numbers or both AA & QF flight numbers.

Alaska is a good FFP and has good range of partners, many in OneWorld
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Otherwise AA. Do not even think about QF: a very poor program compared to AA for people in North America

Both AA & AS will have way's to keep the account alive with non flying activities.

For both AA & AS check if the fare class is eligible to earn miles. Some are not. You will not get status.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
QF is a pretty poor program to accumulate in. Higher redemption levels + YQ I think. However you might not have a choice if the fare earns only with QF.

I suggest AA if it earns miles, followed by AS.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might look at what your ticket would earn on BA. Avios are good redemption value for short flights, which can cost amazingly few miles. On AA you might not earn enough miles for one of their good award tickets, plus the merger makes their program seem uncertain now.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys. The flights are all booked in Economy N class - how do I ascertain whether / what that will earn on the different FF programs?

The itinerary is:

Flight QF 4480from Toronto (YTO) to Dallas (DFW) (operated by AA)
Flight QF 008from Dallas (DFW) to Brisbane (BNE) (operated by Qantas)
Flight QF 970from Brisbane (BNE) to Townsville (TSV) (operated by Qantas)
Flight QF 971from Townsville (TSV) to Brisbane (BNE) (operated by Qantas)
Flight QF 015from Brisbane (BNE) to Los Angeles (LAX) (operated by Qantas)
Flight AA 1586from Los Angeles (LAX) to Toronto (YTO) (operated by AA)

Sounds like BA / AA / AS are the three options to consider - any further advice given the specifics above?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a feeling you might be in N. Looks like AA is out with no miles, BA will give only 25%. However you can earn with AS or LA. With AS you might not earn anything on the YYZ-DFW flight as it is marketed by QF but operated by AA and according to this you might not earn anything:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/qantas.aspx

LA is another good option as you can earn miles and not get charged YQ even on BA. Plus they have distance based chart like BA so you can redeem some cheap flights. But I hear their IT is horrible and their online partner booking tool is useless. You might have to call customer service and I hear dealing with them is another nightmare.

I created an account and the system generated an online profile for me but no FF#. Took several emails to clear that up.

Last edited by UA Fan; Nov 14, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dumbo questions here, sorry - is LA LAN (the south american airline)?

What is YQ?

This AS looks like a reasonable option, even if I don't get the one leg (I *think* it also has an AA number, so might qualify under that, I don't have it to hand right now). It looks like the same thing (operated and ticketed) would apply on LAN too.

Looking at LAN, in terms of redemption, do I have this straight - my trip, according to a distance calculator should earn 32,586 is all legs are allowed (30,642 ex the YYZ-DFW). I could then redeem those for a flight based on distance (so YYZ- New York would be 554km, thus 8000km each way in terms of points used?) Plus taxes etc.?

Sorry, I have, in my life, redeemed on one airline and one airline only!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
Dumbo questions here, sorry - is LA LAN (the south american airline)?

What is YQ?

This AS looks like a reasonable option, even if I don't get the one leg (I *think* it also has an AA number, so might qualify under that, I don't have it to hand right now). It looks like the same thing (operated and ticketed) would apply on LAN too.
LA = Lan, YQ = fuel surcharge. The YYZ-DFW flight surely has an AA#, but what is important is what is written on your e-ticket. If it has a QF# there (even if there are small letters at the bottom saying something like "operated by AA XX), it means it is marketed by QF and you earn according to the QF mileage table in the AA program.

If you want to understand the effect of YQ, go to ba.com and price a TATL flight and you will see the breakdown of taxes and fees. Can be worthless redeeming awards in Y.

With AS I am not sure if the marketing carrier or operating carrier counts. With UA/US it is always the operating carrier.

Looking at LAN, in terms of redemption, do I have this straight - my trip, according to a distance calculator should earn 32,586 is all legs are allowed (30,642 ex the YYZ-DFW). I could then redeem those for a flight based on distance (so YYZ- New York would be 554km, thus 8000km each way in terms of points used?) Plus taxes etc.?
I think that is correct. But be prepared for a hard time when redeeming them (Disclaimer: not very familiar with the LA Program).

Sorry, I have, in my life, redeemed on one airline and one airline only!
I will delete this comment if you don't like it, but some of your questions seem quite newbie
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also be careful when determining which class you were booked into:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...asis-code.html
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the post above N class are nil miles earning AA, so just go with Alaska ffp
Alaska has many partners and you may get value from the miles earned on your trip

With LAN you will have orphan miles, that will be hard to use

YQ is fuel surcharge on award flights. Is a very high $ on flights using the QF, BA and some other freq flyer programs. Do not confues taxes with surcharges

Edit Post 14 below, N class on QF does earn AA miles

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
She is getting a decent chunk and if she has plans to visit NYC, it could be useful. If she can manage to get an SPG then she can top off her account.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
LA = Lan, YQ = fuel surcharge. The YYZ-DFW flight surely has an AA#, but what is important is what is written on your e-ticket. If it has a QF# there (even if there are small letters at the bottom saying something like "operated by AA XX), it means it is marketed by QF and you earn according to the QF mileage table in the AA program.

If you want to understand the effect of YQ, go to ba.com and price a TATL flight and you will see the breakdown of taxes and fees. Can be worthless redeeming awards in Y.

With AS I am not sure if the marketing carrier or operating carrier counts. With UA/US it is always the operating carrier.

I think that is correct. But be prepared for a hard time when redeeming them (Disclaimer: not very familiar with the LA Program).

I will delete this comment if you don't like it, but some of your questions seem quite newbie
Thanks - I am well aware how newbie all this seems - I'm used to using one airline for reward travel, their quirks (including fuel surcharges - although I do remember when a 'free' flight was actually free!) etc. I've flown on other award tickets (BA especially) but never been the person doing to actual planning / booking! Just want to make sure I am getting this as 'right' as I can (If Qantas fancied switching to * alliance, between now and next month, that would be handy!) This forum really is terribly useful, and people like you blow me away with the depth of your knowledge - to me half of it is like another language!

I spoke to Qantas and checked the fare basis - it is N, but as well to check.

I also checked the first flight - there was a bit of a quirk in the booking when we first made it - I have both QF and AA flight numbers on eticket, but according to her it is Qantas marketed, AA operated, so looks as thought I am "pointless" on that one.

Thank you for all your help - I will give it some thought. I like the idea of the no fuel surcharge etc. on LAN, but hear your warning on the customer service side!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By the post above N class are nil miles earning AA, so just go with Alaska ffp
Alaska has many partners and you may get value from the miles earned on your trip

YQ is fuel surcharge on award flights. Is a very high $ on flights using the QF, BA ansd some other freq flyer programs. Do not confues taxes with surcharges
Thanks - I am hoping to get some value for my trip, either a shorthaul within N. America or Europe at some point.

I think whichever of the two I picked, I would end up with some leftover miles - presumably I can use the program if I take a BA / AA flight at some point to top up.

(Also I see the note on SPG below - I do actually belong to SPG although don't use them very often, thanks for that pointer)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As August 1 2013 is in the past
From http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp
Discount Economy Class N, G, S
50% Base Miles (elite status qualifying) Class of Service
0.50 Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned

N class on QF does earn AA miles. On this basis I now consider AA ffp is the way to go

On LAN QF N class earns 100% (so good) http://www.lan.com/en_au/sitio_perso...nes/index.html
Unsure of the value of 1 LAN km vs 1 AA mile, but as a guess AA is worth more

Alaska & AA will be simpler to deal with than LAN (or QF)

A useful link: http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/ffp/
From this it seems LAN miles expire after 3 years. So use them or lose them ? With a small miles/kms/avios balance and infrequent activity, expiry needs to be considered
FLYGVA has told me, by PM, the site to be updated for Qatar joining OneWorld

Earning on codeshares always needs to be checked out: can be confusing. Especially if a non alliance airline

Look at the links in post 2 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
For Star Alliance http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
______
Enjoy Townsville: a nice part of Queensland

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As August 1 2013 is in the past
From http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp
Discount Economy Class N, G, S
50% Base Miles (elite status qualifying) Class of Service
0.50 Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned

N class on QF does earn AA miles. On this basis I now consider AA ffp is the way to go

Alaska & AA will be simpler to deal with than LAN (or QF)

A useful link: http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/ffp/
From this it seems LAN miles expire after 3 years. So use them or lose them ? With a small miles/kms/avios balance and infrequent activity expiry needs to be considered
FLYGVA has told me, by PM, the site to be updated for Qatar joining OneWorld

______
Enjoy Townsville: a nice part of Queensland
Thanks for the pointing that out. Sorry emma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.