FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which FF program for this specific flight
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:47 pm
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
LA = Lan, YQ = fuel surcharge. The YYZ-DFW flight surely has an AA#, but what is important is what is written on your e-ticket. If it has a QF# there (even if there are small letters at the bottom saying something like "operated by AA XX), it means it is marketed by QF and you earn according to the QF mileage table in the AA program.

If you want to understand the effect of YQ, go to ba.com and price a TATL flight and you will see the breakdown of taxes and fees. Can be worthless redeeming awards in Y.

With AS I am not sure if the marketing carrier or operating carrier counts. With UA/US it is always the operating carrier.

I think that is correct. But be prepared for a hard time when redeeming them (Disclaimer: not very familiar with the LA Program).

I will delete this comment if you don't like it, but some of your questions seem quite newbie
Thanks - I am well aware how newbie all this seems - I'm used to using one airline for reward travel, their quirks (including fuel surcharges - although I do remember when a 'free' flight was actually free!) etc. I've flown on other award tickets (BA especially) but never been the person doing to actual planning / booking! Just want to make sure I am getting this as 'right' as I can (If Qantas fancied switching to * alliance, between now and next month, that would be handy!) This forum really is terribly useful, and people like you blow me away with the depth of your knowledge - to me half of it is like another language!

I spoke to Qantas and checked the fare basis - it is N, but as well to check.

I also checked the first flight - there was a bit of a quirk in the booking when we first made it - I have both QF and AA flight numbers on eticket, but according to her it is Qantas marketed, AA operated, so looks as thought I am "pointless" on that one.

Thank you for all your help - I will give it some thought. I like the idea of the no fuel surcharge etc. on LAN, but hear your warning on the customer service side!