FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   New Member Roll Call! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1520501-new-member-roll-call.html)

scoow Dec 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by staycomfy (Post 21943997)
Hi everyone the reason I am here is because of a long distance relationship :D

I've had some luck with the mileageplus program last year and I am experiencing some FOMO(fear of missing out). Hopefully I will get caught up here.

Welcome! I've known FTers who met & began long distance relationships, but you're the first I've known to do it the other way around. :)

KtmGuy Dec 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi all

Hey there folks,

I've been recently bitten by the mile bug. I had been working on my credit history after having wrecked it about five years ago. After signing up for some easy to get cards to rebuild my credit, me and my wife were approved for the delta gold, chase csp and the capitalone ultimate cards a month ago. Since then, I have been immersed in the mileage game.

My goal? To earn enough miles in ultimate rewards mall to travel from MSP to KTM in Oct with a stopover in Frankfurt on the way there and a stop in Singapore on the way back - in business class for me, my wife and our very energetic 20 month old.

I spend at least a couple of hours on flyertalk these days. What a great forum and i am proud to be a new member here.

Later--

beckoa Dec 11, 2013 12:41 am

Originally Posted by KtmGuy (Post 21944413)
Hey there folks,

I've been recently bitten by the mile bug. I had been working on my credit history after having wrecked it about five years ago. After signing up for some easy to get cards to rebuild my credit, me and my wife were approved for the delta gold, chase csp and the capitalone ultimate cards a month ago. Since then, I have been immersed in the mileage game.

My goal? To earn enough miles in ultimate rewards mall to travel from MSP to KTM in Oct with a stopover in Frankfurt on the way there and a stop in Singapore on the way back - in business class for me, my wife and our very energetic 20 month old.

I spend at least a couple of hours on flyertalk these days. What a great forum and i am proud to be a new member here.

Later--

Welcome to Flyertalk KtmGuy ^ Sounds like you have a solid plan for travel and a roadmap for earning the miles. And of course once you go Business (or First) its hard to go back... :eek:

KtmGuy Dec 11, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 21944603)
Welcome to Flyertalk KtmGuy ^ Sounds like you have a solid plan for travel and a roadmap for earning the miles. And of course once you go Business (or First) its hard to go back... :eek:

Thank you for the kind words, beckoa. I think I'm somewhere around 3rd grade (maybe that's stretching it) and I'd like to be at the bachelor's level when it comes to both earning miles and using them.

I hope to get a lot of help/guidance from helpful people like you. Your welcome is much appreciated.

frequentflyingdutchman Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am

Dear all,

I just joined flyertalk today. Since I started my studies I've gained a lot of friends living abroad (as well as a girlfriend abroad). Which means that I've been flying around (Europe) quite a lot for the past years.

I used to use budget airlines without miles, but more and more I start noticing that going to an airport 2 hours outside of the city centre is not always worth my money and time. So I'm flying much more with the larger airlines lately (mainly skyteam). A friend pointed out to me that it would be foolish to not at least have an account to collect miles. That's how I got interested in the FF business.

I'm trying to get the hang of ITA Matrix, but unfortunaly found out that the potential of FF in Europe is less than in the US. Still I have already saved 40 euros for a flight thanks to matrix a day after first trying the software.

Also I've developed quite a few tricks to make my life at airports as comfortable as possible without paying a lot of money, so I hope that I can also contribute something to the forums!

I'm based in the Netherlands btw.

jackal Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by frequentflyingdutchman (Post 21946386)
Dear all,

I just joined flyertalk today. Since I started my studies I've gained a lot of friends living abroad (as well as a girlfriend abroad). Which means that I've been flying around (Europe) quite a lot for the past years.

I used to use budget airlines without miles, but more and more I start noticing that going to an airport 2 hours outside of the city centre is not always worth my money and time. So I'm flying much more with the larger airlines lately (mainly skyteam). A friend pointed out to me that it would be foolish to not at least have an account to collect miles. That's how I got interested in the FF business.

I'm trying to get the hang of ITA Matrix, but unfortunaly found out that the potential of FF in Europe is less than in the US. Still I have already saved 40 euros for a flight thanks to matrix a day after first trying the software.

Welcome! Budget airlines have their place--and they even have a home on FlyerTalk! Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...-airlines-727/ and the other "Budget" forums in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airline-programs-374/. But yes, as many of us "grow up" in the traveling world, we discover (hopefully commensurate with increased incomes, too :eek:) that sometimes it's worthwhile to pay for convenience. :)

Originally Posted by frequentflyingdutchman (Post 21946386)
Also I've developed quite a few tricks to make my life at airports as comfortable as possible without paying a lot of money, so I hope that I can also contribute something to the forums!

I'm based in the Netherlands btw.

Hopefully soon you'll be flying tens of thousands of miles per year and qualifying for mid-tier elite status so you can get in those exclusive airline lounges! :D The lounges in the U.S. are kind of abysmal, but the ones in Europe generally offer a reasonable product, with decent snacks and drinks and not too overcrowded. :)

frequentflyingdutchman Dec 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 21948634)
Welcome! Budget airlines have their place--and they even have a home on FlyerTalk! Check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...-airlines-727/ and the other "Budget" forums in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airline-programs-374/. But yes, as many of us "grow up" in the traveling world, we discover (hopefully commensurate with increased incomes, too :eek:) that sometimes it's worthwhile to pay for convenience. :)

Hopefully soon you'll be flying tens of thousands of miles per year and qualifying for mid-tier elite status so you can get in those exclusive airline lounges! :D The lounges in the U.S. are kind of abysmal, but the ones in Europe generally offer a reasonable product, with decent snacks and drinks and not too overcrowded. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the links!

PalletGuy Dec 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm based near Ontario, California (near LA). I'm new to the business travel game but I've been wanting to be a traveler since I was a kid. My dad used to take me to the airport just to watch the planes when I was little. I started a new job in June '13 as a regional operations manager with a company that supplies pallets to manufacturers and distributors. My region is California and Nevada but I travel to other regions too to help on projects. My company let's me choose my own airline, hotel, and rental car company within certain dollar limits. I love Southwest Airlines for their flexibility. I joined the points programs for Southwest, Hilton, and National Car on day one based on my boss's recommendation and I'm gathering some decent rewards but now I want to know how I can earn more. My wish list includes trips to Alaska, Hawaii, Washington DC, New Orleans, and New York. Hopefully work can send me there some day, but if not, I'd love to get there with rewards and enjoy some free vacations.

beckoa Dec 12, 2013 3:02 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by PalletGuy
Hi Everyone,

I'm based near Ontario, California (near LA). I'm new to the business travel game but I've been wanting to be a traveler since I was a kid. My dad used to take me to the airport just to watch the planes when I was little. I started a new job in June '13 as a regional operations manager with a company that supplies pallets to manufacturers and distributors. My region is California and Nevada but I travel to other regions too to help on projects. My company let's me choose my own airline, hotel, and rental car company within certain dollar limits. I love Southwest Airlines for their flexibility. I joined the points programs for Southwest, Hilton, and National Car on day one based on my boss's recommendation and I'm gathering some decent rewards but now I want to know how I can earn more. My wish list includes trips to Alaska, Hawaii, Washington DC, New Orleans, and New York. Hopefully work can send me there some day, but if not, I'd love to get there with rewards and enjoy some free vacations.

Welcome to Flyertalk ^

I've encountered thousands of pallets myself...and even burned part of one we found in the sand on ADK :o

Nice that you have some flexibility- Hilton has some nice perks especially overseas ;).

Navarro Dec 12, 2013 10:33 am

Hi, I am Anna from Poland and I love flights and - like Heather mentioned above - I like fine wine....

The forum is like treasure box for me...

scoow Dec 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Welcome, Anna. Enjoy exploring the "treasure box" (pretty good description!) and let us know if you have any questions.

aleaf Dec 12, 2013 2:16 pm

back in the saddle again

Hello FlyerTalkers, or rather, Hello again!

I've been onboard for several years but haven't been active or able to travel much for the past few. I've been fortunate enough to attend a few events and do's and am enthused about plugging back into the FT community.

I'm based in PHX but looking to relocate to SYD in the new year. That gives me the opportunity to take whatever little bits and pieces of info I've learned from FT over the years and apply them to a whole new situation. That will be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it.

ALIEF

scoow Dec 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by alief (Post 21955472)
Hello FlyerTalkers, or rather, Hello again!

I've been onboard for several years but haven't been active or able to travel much for the past few. I've been fortunate enough to attend a few events and do's and am enthused about plugging back into the FT community.

I'm based in PHX but looking to relocate to SYD in the new year. That gives me the opportunity to take whatever little bits and pieces of info I've learned from FT over the years and apply them to a whole new situation. That will be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it.

ALIEF

Welcome back, ALIEF!

I still remember the wonderful "hidden door" restaurant where you organized a dinner after a PHX do. Yum! I'll be looking forward to a few restaurant recommendations once you get settled in SYD. :cool:

Carmen1 Dec 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Hello, I often fly between DFW and HEL. Any advice on the cheapest way to fly business class is very welcomed. Thanks.

neon2013 Dec 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi, I joined sometime ago, but just posted for the first time a few min ago. I love visiting new places and other countries, though we slowed down after having a kid. I like reading other travellers' stories. My big question of the day is to how to use my Aeroflot Bonus miles on Delta... I'm afraid though it's a lost cause.