Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taj Mahal Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Taj Mahal Visit

Anyone have experience visiting the Taj?

I am wondering what is the best time for a visit? Where do you recommend a hotel stay? Did you fly from Delhi? Take a train from Delhi? How was getting to and from Agra?

This is about the only thing I want to see there so if there are other suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Its best to hire a car/driver for the day IMO. Agra is about 3 hrs from Delhi.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
It's amazingly located. We stayed in Agra. Then took train to Delhi.

Spotting it through the surrounding shops as we approached was strange. Typical Indian street jumble, with this thing in the background. Not the usual picture you see.

I enjoyed the buildings flanking the memorial itself: the mosque and guesthouse. And the reflecting water.

Take you own photos, but the pros on-site will deliver a better one to your hotel within hours for almost nothing.

(Watch out for pickpockets when inside the mausoleum. Bring a paper fan.)

Check this rather succinct and accurate description.

Beautiful, interesting, but certainly not the highlight of our 3 week trip to India.

The caves at Ajanta and Ellora, the backwaters of lAlleppy were probably my favorite places.

India is fascinating. Just jump in and enjoy.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeytay

I am wondering what is the best time for a visit? Where do you recommend a hotel stay? Did you fly from Delhi? Take a train from Delhi? How was getting to and from Agra?

This is about the only thing I want to see there so if there are other suggestions please let me know. Thanks
We took the train from Delhi. It's quite far to Agra -- I wouldn't do it as a day trip.

I can't remember the name of our hotel, except that it was an obirois -- very, very nice 5 star. We went to the Taj twice, once in late afternoon and once at sunrise. I highly recommend sunrise -- it was a little foggy when we went and the Taj, which already looks magical because of the topography of the site (it looks like it's floating), was like something from another world.

Here's a picture I took:

http://travelersvideo.com/Agra,%20India.jpg
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:51 am

I only had a limited time in Delhi, so I got a coach tour arranged by one of the local hotels. It was much cheaper than getting a reliable driver and car. A few have stopped offering them due to problems with bad drivers (which we had!), bad busses and generally bad service. I think that we ended up getting it from the Oberoi in Delhi, but don't know for sure. It might have been one of the Taj hotels.

We also got a tour of the Agra fort and a couple of other sites, breakfast (weak, though good curried potato thing), lunch (5* buffet) and dinner (even weaker than breakfast!)

I almost didn't take the trip due to the length and the fact that I was a bit under the weather, but it was totally worth the very long day.

Enjoy,

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I have gone more than once, but I have used my private car and driver.

I would recommend that you find a good driver/car from a hotel and use that.

When I have stayed over night, I have stayed in the Oberoi Amarvilas. Very nice hotel- a little on the expensive side for Agra.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sany2
I have gone more than once, but I have used my private car and driver.

I would recommend that you find a good driver/car from a hotel and use that.

When I have stayed over night, I have stayed in the Oberoi Amarvilas. Very nice hotel- a little on the expensive side for Agra.
That was the one I stayed at. Very nice hotel, and they'll arrange a golf cart to the Taj whenever you want to go (it's quite close -- we could see it from our room).
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I'm going at the end of August. I have reserved a car and driver to take me from Delhi to Agra, from Agra to Jaipur and from Jaipur to Delhi. My intinerary says that the drive from Delhi to Agra takes 4 hours but I assume that there is extra time built into that. I'm staying at the Mughai Sheraton in Agra, which looks nice and comes recommended by my travel agent, although she says it doesn't have a lot of local flavor.

I don't think August is the best time to go, but I am spending some time in the mountains so the winter wouldn't be practical.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:50 am

Programs: One Pass Gold, Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I went with a few of my coworkers last August. We decided to hire a tour guide and car/van for the 5 of us. It was very cheap and it helped to have a tour guide with us (we went to the Agra Fort, had a great lunch, learned a lot of the history, etc etc).

We stayed at the Oberoi Amarvilas--it was AMAZING! I highly recommend staying there not only because it's a very luxurious, but also because it's the closest hotel to the Taj. Every room faces the Taj, and almost every room has a balcony. We enjoyed watching the sunset over the Taj and hearing the prayers in the background.

Don't go in August if you can't help it--it's HOT!!! To fight the heat, we visited the Taj at 6AM. Try to go early regardless, because you'll be able to avoid the crowds and get the Taj all to yourself.

Please contact me if you'd like more information on the tour company that we used.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lili
It's amazingly located. We stayed in Agra. Then took train to Delhi.

Spotting it through the surrounding shops as we approached was strange. Typical Indian street jumble, with this thing in the background. Not the usual picture you see.

I enjoyed the buildings flanking the memorial itself: the mosque and guesthouse. And the reflecting water.

Take you own photos, but the pros on-site will deliver a better one to your hotel within hours for almost nothing.

(Watch out for pickpockets when inside the mausoleum. Bring a paper fan.)

Check this rather succinct and accurate description.

Beautiful, interesting, but certainly not the highlight of our 3 week trip to India.

The caves at Ajanta and Ellora, the backwaters of lAlleppy were probably my favorite places.

India is fascinating. Just jump in and enjoy.
I have done the Taj Mahal a few times and Ajanta and Ellora a couple of times. They are all fabulous. I liked Ellora a bit more than Ajanta. Did you see Bibi ka Maqbara in Aurangabad? It's a mausoleum to Auranzeb's wife, a really poor copy of the Taj Mahal.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 1, 2006 at 1:39 pm
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joeytay

The best time to see the Taj? The first full moon night after the monssons. The rains wah away all the dirt and polution, with a little help of the acidity in the rain water. The monumnet just gleems in the moonlight. Avoid April to August at all costs.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Milaeage Plus, Delta Skymiles, AW Flight Fund, SCH Priority Club, Coice Priviledge, Jet Privilege
On Aurangabad, apart from Ajanata Ellora and Biwi Ka Maqbara, also see Panchakki whihc is an engineering marvel. Daultabad Fort is grand and worth seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.