Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for Chennai?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by Topcare
Had the virundhu. ...Only downside was there during monsoon and most mosquitoes I've seen in my entire life.
Virundhu : Feast in Tamil. Usually an expansive meal with both quantity, quality and # of items on the higher side.
Monsoon + Mosquitoes : Part of the experience. Comes with the territory. Especially Chennai.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
Virundhu : Feast in Tamil. Usually an expansive meal with both quantity, quality and # of items on the higher side.
Monsoon + Mosquitoes : Part of the experience. Comes with the territory. Especially Chennai.
:-) yah. Thanks for my deet and malarone so was worry free. :-) the meal was a feast. And boy so many interesting dishes.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:04 pm

Southern Spice in Taj coromandel is indeed amazing. The people working there are also very nice.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
And 2 hrs drive from MAA is Kanchipuram (GRT Regency is a good place to stay at). Kanchi gives you a sample of Pallava architecture (400-800 AD) and Thanjai aka Thanjavur gives you a sample of Chola architecture (700 - 1100 AD) and beyond.
I read your comment 20 days ago and decided to research more into these historical sites. I decided to visit Tanjore to check out the Chola Temples and was in complete awe. The tour guide even told me that the Cholas were one of the reasons as to why Tamil is one of the important languages in Malaysia and Singapore! The driver realized I was quite interested in the history of the kingdom and recommended me to watch a few recently released two-part film about the Cholas. Loved it!

Chennai, along with BLR, is one of the highlights in this trip. I will forever cherish the cup of the local Madras Filter Coffee!
ft4lyf likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by qraec777
The driver realized I was quite interested in the history of the kingdom and recommended me to watch a few recently released two-part film about the Cholas. Loved it!
Welcome to Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan novel. The 1950s version of Historicak fictio a la Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Both parts of the movie are available for streaming on Amazon Prime video

Originally Posted by qraec777
I will forever cherish the cup of the local Madras Filter Coffee!
Should be available here, assuming you are near KWI based on your handle.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Should be available here, assuming you are near KWI based on your handle.
The restaurant closed down a few years ago. There's a Sarvana Bhavan and Sangeetha here that I spotted earlier in Madras. Thank you so much for your mini-guide once again!
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:46 am

Chennai

What food should I try in Chennai?
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
South Indian cuisine.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:30 am

Thank you
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Keyser
South Indian cuisine.
My Madras friends welcomed me to their city by taking me to an Italian restaurant.
qraec777 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
My Madras friends welcomed me to their city by taking me to an Italian restaurant.
That's exactly what my friends try to do when I visit their countries. They want to take me to an Indian restaurant. I politely point it out to them that I eat Indian food all the time & would rather have some local cuisine while I am there.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:14 pm

As my Madras trip draws closer I have begun to research some possible lunch and dinner venues: My partner and I eat all kinds of food (translation - vegetarian or otherwise) as long as it is tasty and good value for money. Since this trip will be on my own dime, I have decided to save money by staying at the Four Points on OMR. Any suggestions of places within reasonable distance where we can stuff ourselves without paying the Finance Minister too large a cut from our meagre resources?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.