Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

There's literally nothing to do there.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by calmasahinducow

We managed to fill a day sightseeing, then moved on to Mahabalipuram and later Pondicherry. And were very pleased we made the trip.

Uber worked fine from the airport: reasonably clear instructions on where to go for the pick up. Though with an indian number, it's easy to synchronise things with the driver - might not be so simple without the sim.

Hopes are not so high for Kolkata, the remaining metro on my list.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:28 pm
kb9

Programs: DL, EK AI
Originally Posted by calmasahinducow
Here's a starter-pack for you: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/t...nai-india.html
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Water scarcity and top end hotels in Madras

How are the 5-star hotels in Madras responding to the water scarcity in the city? Are there any restrictions placed on guests?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
there has been a water problem ongoing in chennai for a while now....i was last there in june this year & there were no restrictions at the hotel but were signs in the room asking us to help save as much water as possible....
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Most, if not all the 5-star hotels in the city buy water (by the tanker load) for all their requirements. And this has been the case for a long while. I guess the cost at which the hotels are buying this water has probably gone up a fair bit in light of the city-wide crisis.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:58 am
Suspended

One trip to Chennai

The best paces to visit Chennai in one day are:
1)Sri Parthasarathy Temple
2)Valluvar Kottam
3)Kapiliswarar Temple
4)Marina Beach
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Thinking about trip to Madras

HI all,
spend a lot of time in Mumbai, have travel quite a bit around the India.. the usual stuff.. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.. Goa.. Kerla,
so wondering abut taking a trip to Madras (chenni) for a few days on my next trip to India..
any ideas on what is worth seeing there..

thanks in advance
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:39 pm

https://wikitravel.org/en/Chennai
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
thanks, but was hopping info from local FT members..
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
HI all,
spend a lot of time in Mumbai, have travel quite a bit around the India.. the usual stuff.. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur.. Goa.. Kerla,
so wondering abut taking a trip to Madras (chenni) for a few days on my next trip to India..
any ideas on what is worth seeing there..

thanks in advance
Hi Fotographer

A trip to Chennai is very good idea. Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu, is known as the gateway to South India. This city has a population of about 10 million people, making it India's fifth largest city after Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, and Bangalore.

Best Time to Visit: Chennai has a hot and humid climate. Summer temperatures in late May and early June often reach an extreme 38–42 degrees Celsius (100–107 degrees Fahrenheit). The city receives most of its rainfall during the northeast monsoon, from mid-September to mid-December.

Language: Tamil and English.

Currency: Indian rupee.

Travel Tip: Chennai experiences high humidity throughout the year, so pack breathable cotton clothes.

Getting There:
Chennai is situated on the east coast of India. Chennai International Airport is conveniently only 15 kilometers (9 miles) south of the city center. It's well connected in terms of transport.

What to Eat and Drink: The South Indian cuisine in Chennai features staples such as idli and sambar, vada and sambar, masala dosa, and filter coffee. Being a coastal city, fish curry is ubiquitous. Head to the snack stalls on Marina beach for sundal (chickpeas). Most importantly, try a South Indian thali (platter), which comes with an assortment of dishes and is a meal in itself.

I have been there around 2 months back and enjoyed a lot with my family. I will share the pics of my tour with you.

Thanks & Enjoy !!
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
thanks, but was hopping info from local FT members..
Tips for Chennai?

Going to Chennai for a wedding, where else should I visit?

Around Bangalore & Chennai
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
nothing wrong with chennai but there are many other places i would visit in india before going to chennai....
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
nothing wrong with chennai but there are many other places i would visit in india before going to chennai....
what do you have in mind..
been to most of north India.. Dehli, Jaipur.. Kashmir... Goa.. Kerla.. and all over Gujarat ,
This side trip is because when I come to Mumbai to work.. 2x a year, my wife will come me, and I would like to show her the beautiful country.
Since I can speak in 3 different Indian languages.. not a problem on where we go

thanks
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what do you have in mind..
been to most of north India.. Dehli, Jaipur.. Kashmir... Goa.. Kerla.. and all over Gujarat ,
This side trip is because when I come to Mumbai to work.. 2x a year, my wife will come me, and I would like to show her the beautiful country.
Since I can speak in 3 different Indian languages.. not a problem on where we go

thanks
unless there is a particular reason to go to chennai, i would recommend paces like manali, nainital, jodhpur, agra, mysore, varanasi, bangalore, amritsar, orissa, shimla, & udaipur....
fotographer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.