FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1511193-mumbai-csia-bom-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

Nimal Aug 15, 2014 2:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 23305966)
No problem, the luggage will be tagged to the final destination and you can leave the T1 domestic terminal to meet anyone and drive to the T2 yourself. The ride shouldn't take more than 30min at that time of day. Make sure you arrive at the T2 by noon to clear security and immigration.

Thank you for your response. In the meantime, we contacted the Jet Airways Customer care for few other queries. They told that the luggage will be tagged directly to the Destination only if the passenger is not leaving the terminal for the transfer. If we have to leave the domestic terminal for transfer on our own, then we have to collect all the luggages for safety reasons and recheck in again at International terminal. With the available two hours for the transfer, this is highly impossible in our case.
Safety reasons is understandable but I want to know if this is the case really in the airport as well or just a protocol. Really bothered with both the contradicting information. Kindly enlighten with the actual scenario in the airport.:confused:

AllAboutFlying Aug 22, 2014 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Nimal (Post 23367357)
Thank you for your response. In the meantime, we contacted the Jet Airways Customer care for few other queries. They told that the luggage will be tagged directly to the Destination only if the passenger is not leaving the terminal for the transfer. If we have to leave the domestic terminal for transfer on our own, then we have to collect all the luggages for safety reasons and recheck in again at International terminal. With the available two hours for the transfer, this is highly impossible in our case.
Safety reasons is understandable but I want to know if this is the case really in the airport as well or just a protocol. Really bothered with both the contradicting information. Kindly enlighten with the actual scenario in the airport.:confused:

I have done this twice. Luggage is tagged till the final destination and you can definitely exit the arrival terminal and drive to T2 and do security / immigration there. Note you would already be checked in, so the airlines do not know where you exactly are. Its pretty smooth. The ride should be about 20-30 mins, Should not be an issue.

venatasiva08 Sep 7, 2014 1:46 pm

Transit from International to Domestic with 11 Hrs wait time

Hi,

I will be arriving from Amsterdam on Sunday Night at 11:15PM and my next flight is at 10:45 AM.

Can someone suggest if there is a lounge that i can rest in for this period?

Bennoch Sep 12, 2014 9:12 am

Sleeping cabins in airport?

I will arrive from Sri Lanka at midnight on Jet and depart to Delhi at 6.30am on jet. I would like to know if there are sleeping cabins/pods available in the airport for a fee? Either the Int'l or the domestic. Given the short transfer it's not worth the money to go to a hotel... TIA.

fincastle84 Sep 26, 2014 4:30 am

Our BA flight to LHR departs at 13.45. I'm planning to leave the Taj Palace at 09.00 hrs on a Sunday morning. Is this considered to be about right? Also, what,if any, are the BA Lounge facilities at BOM?

oliver2002 Sep 26, 2014 5:33 am

You should be fine. BOM currently only has a common 'lounge' area, the individual lounge(s) of the airlines are still under construction.

fincastle84 Sep 26, 2014 7:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 23584290)
You should be fine. BOM currently only has a common 'lounge' area, the individual lounge(s) of the airlines are still under construction.

Thanks Oliver for the reassurance. Re the lounge, that's obviously why the BA website refers to it as a temporary facility.

pk45cu Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm

BOM International-Domestic connection

I did LHR-BOM-BLR last week on Virgin Atlantic (VS) connecting to a domestic Jet Airways (9W) flight. It was my first time into the new BOM international terminal and one had to wonder what thought-process went into designing it.

Most airports in the world actively seek to become hubs where airlines can easily connect passengers between flights. They do all they can to encourage smooth transfers, whether it is one terminal for all flights, fast connections between terminals, reducing queuing and stress points, etc.

BOM airport, ably assisted by Indian security/customs, decided to go the other way.

The entire sequence went like this:
- Exit at a gate very far from the passport control area
- Walk 15 mins at a good clip to get to passport control
- Force passengers to walk through duty-free immediately after that. That's right, at midnight, tired after a long flight, I need to shop for alcohol. On hindsight I should've.
- Collect bags and queue up in one of 4 scanners in green channel
- Turn left into a narrow corridor for domestic transfers to hand bags to Jet/Indigo/etc.
- Then go to a security checkpoint which had exactly 2 guys hand-scanning 100s of connecting pax. At an optimistic 30 sec/pax, that's a throughput of 240 pax per hour.
- After security join the massive queue for a bus to the domestic terminal. No airport employees in sight, one security guy standing around, one airline employee yelling alternately into a mobile or to the line "Ahmedabad", "Chennai" and such. *No* signage what-so-ever. One TV screen showed international arrivals, telling passengers which flights they just arrived on, and another screen showing departure times of domestic flights, their gates and status; thus increasing the waiting passengers' anxiety levels.
- After the queue stood still for 20 mins, a few dozen Ahmedabad pax were pulled from the line and whisked off.
- After another 15 mins, a secondary line formed and started moving. I asked which flights and was told Chennai/Kolkata/Bangalore. Rushed over to it, bottom off the steps another security guy checks your boarding pass just in case the 2 previous guys who checked it before and after security had missed it. One more queue.
- Get on a bus that proceeds in slow motion around the airport edge for 20 mins and drops you off at the domestic terminal baggage arrival area.
- The guy checking boarding passes into security insists that my Virgin issued boarding pass for the Jet flight *must* have the gate number on it or won't let me through. I said I can figure out my gate once I enter the waiting area, but that would be too traveller friendly for him. No cigar.
- So off I go the Jet check-in counters to have a Jet employee write 15 on my boarding pass and circle it. (Note to self, if doing this ever again, just write any number of the BP and circle it, no way the security guy knows.)
- Go back to the security area (queue now 3x the previous size).
- The BP is then checked and stamped into submission by security going in, the guy scanning me, the airline guy as I board the bus, and another airline guy as I climb the stairs. Side-note: Given it's 3am, and very few gates in use, why can't Jet use a regular jet-bridge?

No wonder DXB is the Indian traveller's most popular connection point.

SeeBuyFly Sep 29, 2014 3:02 pm

What part of this is news?

aktchi Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Yeah, connecting in BOM is painful. :)

Keyser Sep 30, 2014 2:58 am

let this be a lesson for you....always connect in del instead of bom....

AllAboutFlying Sep 30, 2014 4:56 am

Mumbai has been the worst airport to be connecting to domestic flights after an international travel or vice versa.

pk45cu Sep 30, 2014 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 23602628)
let this be a lesson for you....always connect in del instead of bom....

I came back via DEL, it was better from the airport point of view, although Jet tried to make it hard to connect. Not the airport's fault.

How is the DEL Domestic T1 to/T3 connection?

pk45cu Sep 30, 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 23600260)
What part of this is news?

Agree it isn't news, but disappointing that after all the years and millions of investment in the airport, it doesn't address basic issues from a passenger point of view.

A2A Sep 30, 2014 6:50 am

the domestic traffic is scheduled to be transitioned to Terminal 2 as well at some point of time (once they are able to build more aerobridges after destroying the old Terminal 2 building). I would believe this works like Delhi T3 there on.