FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1511193-mumbai-csia-bom-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

abhilife2001 Oct 14, 2014 2:47 am

Originally Posted by skewedstyle (Post 23670030)
I really want to book these tickets ASAP (prices keep going up):

Bhuj --> Mumbai arrives 8:45AM. Air India, Terminal 1A
Mumbai --> Varanasi departs 11AM. Indigo, Terminal 1B

I'd like to carry on my bags, but I am not sure if it will be allowed. I guess the Air India one is the most important one to carry on, and it's a Canadair Regional 700. My backpack usually fits in the overhead compartment on international flights and larger US domestic flights. I looked at photos but am having trouble determining the real size of the luggage compartment.

Of course my backpack is a bit squishable since it's not a rollaboard, but it will be nearly 1 month into my trip and I'll probably have bought a few things...

I usually use my camera bag as my "personal item". It's not bigger than a laptop, just differently-shaped. Have only ever been disallowed once.

Thoughts? Will I be allowed to carry on? If I can't carry on, is that enough connection time? Can I check in online if I'm also checking in bags? Is it too risky?

I really want this Indigo flight because it's the ONLY direct one. All other flights (including other airlines) fly from Mumbai to Delhi to Varanasi, but there are no direct flights from Bhuj to Delhi to increase my options.

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!

I believe even with checkin baggage, you should be fine unless your flight to mumbai gets delayed a lot..
Connection time seems decent to me ..
You can always try carry on and if they disallow, then check it in..

skewedstyle Oct 14, 2014 4:01 am

Yes, I was thinking I could just try to be as inconspicuous as possible at the check in counter, then maybe let them check it in gate side. My backpack doesn't rise over my head like a typical camping-style backpack, so sometimes people don't notice the size. Thanks, I really did want to book this itinerary.

abhilife2001 Oct 14, 2014 5:34 am

Originally Posted by skewedstyle (Post 23673830)
Yes, I was thinking I could just try to be as inconspicuous as possible at the check in counter, then maybe let them check it in gate side. My backpack doesn't rise over my head like a typical camping-style backpack, so sometimes people don't notice the size. Thanks, I really did want to book this itinerary.

Hope for the best.. and do update post your trip :)

OmahaUnitedMM Oct 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Clarification for lounge options at BOM and BLR

1K and star gold flying UA ewr to bom then jet mom to blr and reverse home. When at the BOM domestic terminal from 9pm to 3am is the only lounge option Air India lounge in the other domestic terminal? Can we use AI when flying jet as star gold? What are the hours for the AI lounge? Can you bring in one guest? Can we get into the AI terminal with jet boarding pass? For the return do we have an AI lounge option at BLR even though flying jet? Thanks for clarifying?

oliver2002 Oct 22, 2014 1:53 am

Since you are travelling on 9W that day, you cannot use the AI lounge as *G (recall that *A lounge access is only granted to *G travelling on a *A flight departing that day). That said the AI lounge is landside in T1A and 9W departs from T1B, so going to the lounge would have been immensely impractical.

PV_Premier Oct 25, 2014 7:38 am

Next week I have a connection inbound on Jet from Bangalore and outbound on LH to Munich. My Jet flight arrives at 8:50pm and the LH flight leaves at 1:30am. It sounds like I will not get as much of a run around about entering the intl terminal since by the time I get over there it will be within 4hr of my intl departure?

abhilife2001 Oct 27, 2014 8:11 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 23733174)
Next week I have a connection inbound on Jet from Bangalore and outbound on LH to Munich. My Jet flight arrives at 8:50pm and the LH flight leaves at 1:30am. It sounds like I will not get as much of a run around about entering the intl terminal since by the time I get over there it will be within 4hr of my intl departure?

yes, you should be fine unless your 9W flight gets delayed by more than 1 hour.. ensure to get ur baggage tagged till Munich though..

PV_Premier Oct 29, 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 23742751)
yes, you should be fine unless your 9W flight gets delayed by more than 1 hour.. ensure to get ur baggage tagged till Munich though..

Yes if they will interline it, it's separate tickets.

If not we will cab from domestic or international and then deal with trying to enter terminal. I'm hoping to GPU upgrade the LH flight so I have to get in there early anyways.

davidhawk Nov 3, 2014 9:00 am

Coming up I will be flying from New York to BOM and arriving at 9:30PM. I need to book a second one way ticket from BOM to my destination KTM Nepal. It looks like my main choice is to leave in the morning the next day, so ~11 hour layover. I'll be traveling with one carry on bag.

1) If I book a flight from BOM to KTM with a short layover in New Delhi, is it considered a int-domestic flight?

2) If I book a flight from BOM to KTM nonstop is it a int-int flight?

I'll have the long layover but would like the transfer process to be as simple as possible.

3) Since I have such a long layover will I be allowed into a lounge area early? I would leave the airport but wont have my Indian visa in order before arriving.

Appreciate the feedback, I don't fly often, and did read through the thread but found it hard to compare info to my situation. Thanks.

PV_Premier Nov 4, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by davidhawk (Post 23783867)
Coming up I will be flying from New York to BOM and arriving at 9:30PM. I need to book a second one way ticket from BOM to my destination KTM Nepal. It looks like my main choice is to leave in the morning the next day, so ~11 hour layover. I'll be traveling with one carry on bag.

1) If I book a flight from BOM to KTM with a short layover in New Delhi, is it considered a int-domestic flight?

2) If I book a flight from BOM to KTM nonstop is it a int-int flight?

I'll have the long layover but would like the transfer process to be as simple as possible.

3) Since I have such a long layover will I be allowed into a lounge area early? I would leave the airport but wont have my Indian visa in order before arriving.

Appreciate the feedback, I don't fly often, and did read through the thread but found it hard to compare info to my situation. Thanks.

Book the nonstop. You won't be allowed out of intl term without a visa. Be prepared to show evidence of onward travel when you embark in NYC.

davidhawk Nov 7, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 23790868)
Book the nonstop. You won't be allowed out of intl term without a visa. Be prepared to show evidence of onward travel when you embark in NYC.

Thanks Premier, I booked the nonstop from BOM to KTM, still have a 12 hour layover overnight. Will post back after going through with my experience and how easy it all was.

johnnie69 Nov 17, 2014 4:54 am

Intl to Domestic

Hi all, I have been following this thread for a little while and back in January a poster had virtually the same scenario I have this coming Saturday but I didn't see any feedback as to whether they were successful
I am flying in Biz class, BA 0199, Arr BOM 11:45am. I then fly Indigo, 6E419 14:55. I believe a 3 hour 10 minute connection will be fine but has there been any more recent updates, especially since the new terminal opened.
I also believe I will be entitled to fast track immigration? Is that still the case and is it likely to be any quicker?
One last thing, get a taxi or shuttle?
Thanks all. I will report back in early December when I return

aktchi Nov 18, 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by johnnie69 (Post 23853608)
I am flying in Biz class, BA 0199, Arr BOM 11:45am. I then fly Indigo, 6E419 14:55. I believe a 3 hour 10 minute connection will be fine but has there been any more recent updates, especially since the new terminal opened.
I also believe I will be entitled to fast track immigration? Is that still the case and is it likely to be any quicker?

You can't control some things: whether BA will be late, whether luggage will be delivered swiftly, etc., so be efficient with what is under your control. Have your immigration forms filled out in advance, visit the bathroom 30 min before landing and not just after exiting the plane, be ready to leave as soon as doors open, walk at a good clip. :) At the immigration go stand in any line that looks short and is moving. I believe that the airport bus will be better, but I'll defer to real Mumbai experts on that.

johnnie69 Nov 19, 2014 1:24 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 23860597)
You can't control some things: whether BA will be late, whether luggage will be delivered swiftly, etc., so be efficient with what is under your control. Have your immigration forms filled out in advance, visit the bathroom 30 min before landing and not just after exiting the plane, be ready to leave as soon as doors open, walk at a good clip. :) At the immigration go stand in any line that looks short and is moving. I believe that the airport bus will be better, but I'll defer to real Mumbai experts on that.

Thanks aktchi
I have long legs and am happy to use them to get ahead :D
I always use the facilities in the air rather than on the ground when I need to be getting through fast and will fill in my form before sleep!
Cheers

oliver2002 Nov 19, 2014 5:19 am

Did the Intl-Domestic Transfer in late October again. LH from MUC arrives realtively early (11.20am) just before the midnight rush. Immigration was absolutely no issue, luggage came out quick. 9W just accepted the LH luggage tag which was labelled to CCU and reissued the BP (I had checked online). A short walk past security and into the bus. Including two toilet breaks (one at the luggage belt and one past bus security, I was travelling with wife and kids) we did the entire gate to gate (deplaning LH aircraft to getting past T1B security) transfer in 65-70mins and then had a excruciating 2h wait till our flight boarded. :o

I can imagine the rush when all airlines arrive around midnight to 1am. :eek: