FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1511193-mumbai-csia-bom-connection-departure-experience-reports.html)

WesleyC Aug 1, 2013 3:15 am

Domestic to International Detail Help

Hello everyone,

I'm obviously new - just had a quick question or two about this transfer with my schedule. I made the transfer fine on my way in to India but reading some of these threads make me a bit nervous about the other way around.

I am flying from Hyderabad (HYD) to Mumbai (BOM), departing HYD at 10:00 and arriving in BOM at 11:20. From there, I am scheduled to depart BOM to EWR (via United Airlines) at around 23:00. So obviously it's a long 11-12hr wait in BOM. I had about an 8 hr wait on my way in about a month ago, and no major problems once I figured it out.

My question - do you think there's any way I can get into the International terminal right away, 11 hours before my flight? I would be more comfortable there (even though I've heard domestic is nicer) since I would rather be really early than wait in domestic for 8 hours.

Also, is there any chance that I can get my checked bag to go through without having to manage it for that long in BOM? I am flying Jet Airways from HYD to BOM and United out of BOM.

Any tips for safety/comfort while I'm waiting?

tsastor Aug 1, 2013 5:49 am

Originally Posted by WesleyC (Post 21194884)
Hello everyone,

I'm obviously new - just had a quick question or two about this transfer with my schedule. I made the transfer fine on my way in to India but reading some of these threads make me a bit nervous about the other way around.

I am flying from Hyderabad (HYD) to Mumbai (BOM), departing HYD at 10:00 and arriving in BOM at 11:20. From there, I am scheduled to depart BOM to EWR (via United Airlines) at around 23:00. So obviously it's a long 11-12hr wait in BOM. I had about an 8 hr wait on my way in about a month ago, and no major problems once I figured it out.

My question - do you think there's any way I can get into the International terminal right away, 11 hours before my flight? I would be more comfortable there (even though I've heard domestic is nicer) since I would rather be really early than wait in domestic for 8 hours.

Also, is there any chance that I can get my checked bag to go through without having to manage it for that long in BOM? I am flying Jet Airways from HYD to BOM and United out of BOM.

Any tips for safety/comfort while I'm waiting?

You could take a look at Mumbai by hiring a taxi for the day or alternatively book a day room at an airport hotel and hang out by the pool...

Sarsfield13 Aug 2, 2013 3:32 pm

Quick question domestic - international transfer

Hello, - this is my first time visiting this very informative forum - great work!
I would just like a little reassurance and suggestions on my relatively simple question.
My wife and I will be arriving Air India from Udaipur at BOM domestic Terminal 1A at 7:05 PM on Friday, September 6th – departing on United 49 to Newark at 11:10 PM that evening.
My concerns are possible delays in our domestic flight and collecting our baggage as well as the best way to get to the international terminal.

Barring unforeseen weather – do domestic flights generally stay on schedule?
Generally, how long is the wait at domestic baggage claim?
I would lean toward taking a taxi between the terminals – any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Sarsfield13

Mr. Bean Aug 2, 2013 5:22 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Sarsfield13

Originally Posted by Sarsfield13 (Post 21204947)
Barring unforeseen weather – do domestic flights generally stay on schedule?
Generally, how long is the wait at domestic baggage claim?
I would lean toward taking a taxi between the terminals – any suggestions?

1. I would say yes. No worse than anywhere else.
2. It can take up to 30-40 minutes, so you should have plenty of time to make your transfer.
3. The taxi is more comfortable and quicker, but as long as your flight is on-time, you'll have no problems making your connection taking the shuttle bus.

Sarsfield13 Aug 5, 2013 8:18 am

thank you!

Janr Aug 6, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm new to flyertalk postings. I have a 9W flight arriving at 1555 domestic and a united flight departing at 2310 international. Question can I interline my baggage? I will be flying TRV to EWR. Second is there enough time to go to a hotel next to the domestic terminal for dinner? Thanks.

tsastor Aug 7, 2013 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Janr (Post 21226809)
I'm new to flyertalk postings. I have a 9W flight arriving at 1555 domestic and a united flight departing at 2310 international. Question can I interline my baggage? I will be flying TRV to EWR. Second is there enough time to go to a hotel next to the domestic terminal for dinner? Thanks.

Yes you have plenty of time. I don't know of any free airport shuttles though, so the cheapest option is to just take a taxi. Sorry, can't answer your interline question.

Janr Aug 7, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks.

rsh913 Aug 10, 2013 11:09 am

The Mumbai Airport Transfer Guide (Domestic to International and vv)

Well after 4 yrs of flying out of Delhi today needed up flying ua 49 out of bom and actually regretted connecting through bom (am flying Hyd bom ewr ord). Firstly this international transfer shuttle is a night mare. I joined the line at 745 and by the time was drop outside intl terminal it was 920 pm. If ua 49 was not delayed like its today would have missed. Secondly the transfer procedure has become a charade. After collecting your bags and waiting in line you are expected to get bags scanned again and patted down. Although no stamping is done. Then onto the buses where if you decline money for chai paani your bags are thrown under the bus. Finally for the kicker the bus goes to the intl side but once there the driver actually goes out side the airport and drives the WRONG WAY on the arrivals lane and does a u turn to climb on to the departures ramp. He nearly ran some bloke over doing that.
Question is why is Delhi so much better and why is bom so bad? Can't they learn anything from t3? Perhaps not. My advice to those connecting is be prepare to spend 1.5 hrs in the line to transfer to intl terminal at peak arrival times (late evening).

Savage25 Aug 10, 2013 11:41 pm

There's no point taking the free airport shuttle anymore. Its just too much of a hassle to wait up to 30 minutes. I just take a taxi outside these days for ~INR200.

abhilife2001 Aug 14, 2013 2:28 am

Originally Posted by rsh913 (Post 21248561)
Well after 4 yrs of flying out of Delhi today needed up flying ua 49 out of bom and actually regretted connecting through bom (am flying Hyd bom ewr ord). Firstly this international transfer shuttle is a night mare. I joined the line at 745 and by the time was drop outside intl terminal it was 920 pm. If ua 49 was not delayed like its today would have missed. Secondly the transfer procedure has become a charade. After collecting your bags and waiting in line you are expected to get bags scanned again and patted down. Although no stamping is done. Then onto the buses where if you decline money for chai paani your bags are thrown under the bus. Finally for the kicker the bus goes to the intl side but once there the driver actually goes out side the airport and drives the WRONG WAY on the arrivals lane and does a u turn to climb on to the departures ramp. He nearly ran some bloke over doing that.
Question is why is Delhi so much better and why is bom so bad? Can't they learn anything from t3? Perhaps not. My advice to those connecting is be prepare to spend 1.5 hrs in the line to transfer to intl terminal at peak arrival times (late evening).

While I have transitted in BOM many times, never had this chai paani stuff.. though hv given them few rs after they have off boarded my luggage at the destination terminal on a few occasions..
Del T3 is new and BOM is ages old..

Originally Posted by tsastor (Post 21228764)
Yes you have plenty of time. I don't know of any free airport shuttles though, so the cheapest option is to just take a taxi. Sorry, can't answer your interline question.

Many hotels near the intl airport have airport pick up/ drop facility and usually free if you staying there.. Inter terminal airport shuttle facility is there though as mentioned by various posters, its not exactly very comfortable but I would still take that than a taxi outside ( if I am new to BOM)..

tsastor Aug 15, 2013 2:30 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 (Post 21269465)
Many hotels near the intl airport have airport pick up/ drop facility and usually free if you staying there..

Yes, I know many/most have limousine pick up but I am not aware of any free ones. Please point out some, preferably of the 4-5 star properties. Would be good to know for possible future use.

And yes I know some rates include this service as well.

Love_Travel Aug 17, 2013 9:16 pm

3 Hours enough for BOM transfer? Landing in BOM at 11.50 PM from Amsterdam. Is it ok to book 3.00 AM domestic flight? Will i have enough time?

Keyser Aug 18, 2013 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Love_Travel (Post 21291354)
3 Hours enough for BOM transfer? Landing in BOM at 11.50 PM from Amsterdam. Is it ok to book 3.00 AM domestic flight? Will i have enough time?

at that time of night, yes....but 3am domestic flight to where????

Mr. Bean Aug 18, 2013 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 21291747)
at that time of night, yes....but 3am domestic flight to where????

I was surprised as well that these run so early, but apparently AMD and MAA.