Wiki Posts
Search

Quick expedia refund question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Quick expedia refund question

Not asking on the FT forum that deals with online travel / bidding sites as that's a lot more US focused.

On April 30, I canceled a cheap (INR 11k fare + 23 odd k in taxes) fare on IT + AY that I'd booked through Expedia.

Today, I called Finnair for a status and they said that Expedia hadn't even filed with them for refund of the ticket yet. And once the refund request reached them it'd be refunded to my credit card within 15 days.

I called Expedia and they said that "it would take at least 8 to 12 weeks" .. and when I press them for details they said refunds go through a 3rd party - they call it a PSP - before reaching the airline.

So whatever happens I'm looking at at least a 2 month delay MORE here.. workarounds / escalation POCs welcome.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
a few years ago i applied for a refund on expedia....the whole thing took a little over 3 months....
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

I've actually followed some advice I saw on other FT posts and initiated a credit card dispute for the taxes and fees amount.

Especially as Expedia started off by assuring me that the ticket was entirely non-refundable and I wouldn't get a single paisa back. I only initated the refund after calling Finnair, confirming from them that I'd get my taxes and fees back, and that they'd refund the amount within 15 days of Expedia sending them a refund request ..

Now its 2 months since the date of cancelation and they haven't even sent the request to Finnair.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hserus
I've actually followed some advice I saw on other FT posts and initiated a credit card dispute for the taxes and fees amount.
that would probably be the best way to go....
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
that would probably be the best way to go....
Ha ha. Now AY (some finnish accounts team) replied to the chargeback saying "the ticket is not refundable", so the bank's saying "unless we hear anything to the contrary we'll deny the chargeback in a week"

I did call their Gurgaon number and managed to reach their local head of accounts, and explained my case to him, emailed him. He promised to look into it. Fingers crossed - and this is absolutely the last time I book with Expedia, for sure.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Latest update = the airline says expedia didnt even cancel the damned booking so that I'm technically a no show on the flight. 8SPKG3 is the PNR by the way for those who want to take a look.

Looking it up on checkmytrip - it seems to be converted to an open ticket. The original dates were 6/19 to 6/22 2011.

Suresh Ramasubramanian

Home phone: DELEX38AA
Business phone: DELEX38AA
Mobile phone: DELEX38AA [my mobile #]

miscellaneous

Seattle Tacoma (Seattle, Washington, USA)
Departure Date: Tuesday 28 February 2012 <--- ???

Notes:
-RETENTION
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest update = the airline says expedia didnt even cancel the damned booking so that I'm technically a no show on the flight.
this is crazy....just another reason why i stay away from expedia....
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:02 am
Original Poster

I have informed expedia that I will sue them if they don't cancel the ticket and send a refund request by EOD today. Lets see.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:54 pm

I have informed expedia that I will sue them if they don't cancel the ticket and send a refund request by EOD today. Lets see.
hey hserus, did you receive your refund? i cancelled a ticket purchased on expedia india around June 30.... wondering how much longer i should wait
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

First, check if they actually canceled the PNR and have sent the refund request (call the airline and ask them to check).

As far as I can see from checkmytrip that PNR is still in "retention" which means expedia hasn't got around to doing this yet [though finnair gave them A-Z instructions on how to do so]. Let me confirm from Finnair and head to the consumer court first thing today during working hours (had some work pressures which prevented me suing for the last few days).
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:44 am

First, check if they actually canceled the PNR and have sent the refund request (call the airline and ask them to check).

As far as I can see from checkmytrip that PNR is still in "retention" which means expedia hasn't got around to doing this yet [though finnair gave them A-Z instructions on how to do so]. Let me confirm from Finnair and head to the consumer court first thing today during working hours (had some work pressures which prevented me suing for the last few days).
thanks, i see from the checkmytrip record, that even in my case the record says Retention
i guess i will follow up with Expedia and AA until december and if they done sort it out by december, i will have to spend my christmas break back in India suing them... they owe me INR 69K net of cancellation charges

also the best - hope u get ur refund soon
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I clean forgot to update this thread. A legal notice to Expedia India and to Finnair got my money refunded late last year.

Was reminded of this old thread after reading this -
http://playazone.wordpress.com/2012/...for-the-hotel/

Originally Posted by manuc
thanks, i see from the checkmytrip record, that even in my case the record says Retention
i guess i will follow up with Expedia and AA until december and if they done sort it out by december, i will have to spend my christmas break back in India suing them... they owe me INR 69K net of cancellation charges

also the best - hope u get ur refund soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.