Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On average, your freight cost with an airline will be around $480, plus customs import fees and other fees that will pile on, expect it to end up around $600.

A brand new 46" Samsung LCD TV in India retails for around $1000, so you do the math on whether it is worth it. The risk of the TV getting damaged is also pretty big.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I would think there is some risk of theft as well.

Seems to me that TV could fetch $300-400 on Craigslist if it's in the great condition you say. It is 1080p, 120Hz, and has 4 HDMI inputs - that's essentially current specs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I'm a licensed US Custom broker for a major freight forwarder here in the US. It never cease to amaze me the type of things that people try to ship as personal effects. If the company is paying for you relocation, no problem, but if this is on your dime, you should think about it.

First is the cost of crating & packaging, this is about $100 if done professionally, shipping cost US-India is around $400-$500 depending on where you start in the US & end in India. This cost is taking into account that you are bringing the TV to the shipping point, and recovering it in India, not requiring the service for a local cartage company.

TV's are duty free if imported to the US, and it should be the same in India. You can google India customs tariffs, (http://www.cybex.in/Indian-custom-duty/) and will see that it is duty free. The proper schedule b # for this item is 8528.72.6040. You can also claim it as personal effect, but you will need to show proof of ownership and that the item is used. Regardless of which route you take, you will need to indicate the true country of origin, manufacturer, value of goods, & proof of ownership.

In India, you will have to pay some accessorial charges, such as handling and terminal fee, which would be at least $50, on top of that, there is the customs clearance fee, anywhere from $75-&125. Some countries allow you to act as your own broker, (in the US you can as long as commercial value is =< $2500) which could save you the customs clearance fee. I will certainly recommend getting your own insurance, companies like Roanoke, or Washington insurance. This is around $25 or so, otherwise it will be double if you use the forwarders own insurance which is probably provided by the same previous companies I mentioned.

In the end, it is about $575 on the low end for your cost. Only you can determine if this is worth the time and hassle to go through this. You are not the first person doing this, nor the last one. Me personally, I will not do it, you can probably get at most $300-$400 for the used unit, and use that money to buy yourself a new, updated one in India.

I hope this help you and others. Take care.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arollins
I'm a licensed US Custom broker for a major freight forwarder here in the US. It never cease to amaze me the type of things that people try to ship as personal effects. If the company is paying for you relocation, no problem, but if this is on your dime, you should think about it.

First is the cost of crating & packaging, this is about $100 if done professionally, shipping cost US-India is around $400-$500 depending on where you start in the US & end in India. This cost is taking into account that you are bringing the TV to the shipping point, and recovering it in India, not requiring the service for a local cartage company.

TV's are duty free if imported to the US, and it should be the same in India. You can google India customs tariffs, (http://www.cybex.in/Indian-custom-duty/) and will see that it is duty free. The proper schedule b # for this item is 8528.72.6040. You can also claim it as personal effect, but you will need to show proof of ownership and that the item is used. Regardless of which route you take, you will need to indicate the true country of origin, manufacturer, value of goods, & proof of ownership.

In India, you will have to pay some accessorial charges, such as handling and terminal fee, which would be at least $50, on top of that, there is the customs clearance fee, anywhere from $75-&125. Some countries allow you to act as your own broker, (in the US you can as long as commercial value is =< $2500) which could save you the customs clearance fee. I will certainly recommend getting your own insurance, companies like Roanoke, or Washington insurance. This is around $25 or so, otherwise it will be double if you use the forwarders own insurance which is probably provided by the same previous companies I mentioned.

In the end, it is about $575 on the low end for your cost. Only you can determine if this is worth the time and hassle to go through this. You are not the first person doing this, nor the last one. Me personally, I will not do it, you can probably get at most $300-$400 for the used unit, and use that money to buy yourself a new, updated one in India.

Pretty sure they are no longer duty free as of August 26, but you are the expert. They implemented a 36% duty on all flat panel imports to protect domestic manufacturers.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by kochu
I have a 46" LCD (Samsung LN46A650) that is 4 years old and is in great condition. I am sure I can use it for another 5 years. If I try to sell it here in the US, I won't get anything. It is kind of worthless. But, if I want to buy one with similar features in India, it is going to be very expensive. Also, I don't think the Customs duty is going to be much for used TV. So, I have a good reason to ship it to India. With packaging, it will weigh about 65lbs, I guess. The size is going to be a problem to take it with me as an additional baggage item. I once contacted Emirates cargo. They told me to contact a forwarder.

If anyone of you have any useful information, please let me know.
Will a US TV even work in India? Regular broadcasts are PAL B and their HiDef format is likely not compatible either.

http://countrycode.org/tv-standards

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102...b-g-tv-system/
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by weekilter
Will a US TV even work in India? Regular broadcasts are PAL B and their HiDef format is likely not compatible either.
He will need some kind of converter from NTSC to PAL I think. I think some newer Satellite boxes have built in converter but not all. And he will also need voltage converter if the TV cannot take 220V input. All in all, I don't think it is worth the trouble.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 4, 2013 at 7:08 am Reason: fixed missing quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to move this to an existing and current thread in the India forum on this very topic.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by arollins

very informative post, thank you. however, duty is levied on imported tv's in india. previously there was an exemption up to 25000 INR of personal goods but the RBI recently dropped televisions from this list because of the current account deficit/rupee crisis... however, that only supports your conclusions
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by weekilter

http://countrycode.org/tv-standards

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102...b-g-tv-system/
There are easy solutions for all these issues. Only the shipping cost and receiving it in good condition are the concerns.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:33 am

Custom duty in India on electronics?

how much custom duty will I have to pay in mumbai, on LCD 19 inch television which costs around Rs 14000/-? I am coming to India for a short visit after almost a year time. I have been working in UK for 3 years.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft ashudoc....

there are lots of threads on this forum about custom duties & bringing a tv into india....i would suggest searching for them before starting a new thread....

Last edited by Keyser; Jan 8, 2014 at 12:51 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kochu
There are easy solutions for all these issues. Only the shipping cost and receiving it in good condition are the concerns.
My TV came with lots of packaging (though this also increases the weight if this is an issue-though with lighter TVs, this is less of a problem. The only place where I could see this costing more money is if it exceeds a baggage allowance or if you are planning to ship by post (which is likely even worse.)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Without crying "wolf", alarming you, Customs regs in India are in transition. You may be at the mercy of the agent !
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HMPS
Without crying "wolf", alarming you, Customs regs in India are in transition. You may be at the mercy of the agent !
In transition?

Which way?

I gather they would be increasing the allowance, I hope!

However, any insights on this?

Edited to Add: Only the Customs/Immigration form will be amended - as per the information I have found.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ashudoc
how much custom duty will I have to pay in mumbai, on LCD 19 inch television which costs around Rs 14000/-? I am coming to India for a short visit after almost a year time. I have been working in UK for 3 years.
Originally Posted by Keyser
welcome to ft ashudoc....

there are lots of threads on this forum about custom duties & bringing a tv into india....i would suggest searching for them before starting a new thread....

if the tv is worth only inr 14k then it falls under the duty free allowance & you wouldn't have to pay anything....
ashudoc Welcome.
Without getting personal why do you want to take a `9 TV to India. Price wise you are not saning enough....what about warranty on ANY high ticket item ? Likely it will NOT be covered. In US you shold be able to buy a 32 inch for under $ 200. Make sure you have proper invoices for whatever you take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.