Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by HMPS
Without crying "wolf", alarming you, Customs regs in India are in transition. You may be at the mercy of the agent !
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
In transition?

Which way?

I gather they would be increasing the allowance, I hope!

However, any insights on this?

Edited to Add: Only the Customs/Immigration form will be amended - as per the information I have found.
The customs rule was changed for LCD/LED tvs few months back ( Aug'13).. now there is NO duty free allowance for tv's from what i understand..

Do check the below links and google for more info..
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Eco...cle5038815.ece

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/21927873.cms
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Without crying "wolf", alarming you, Customs regs in India are in transition. You may be at the mercy of the agent !
transition in what way????

i haven't seen or heard of any incidents as of late where the passenger has been at the mercy of the customs agent....if you can prove you are under the allowance then there is no problem....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
The customs rule was changed for LCD/LED tvs few months back ( Aug'13).. now there is NO duty free allowance for tv's from what i understand..

Do check the below links and google for more info..
http://www.thehindu.com/business/Eco...cle5038815.ece

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/21927873.cms
Yup, that is relatively old news - but maybe not posted here. Thanks for updating.

However, any later changes would be welcome...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When I flew into India in November the customs has put up big signs about the 'no duty exemption for LED/LCD/Plasma' change to warn folks.

That said I bought my mother a 32" LED TV from LG when I was there and the price was very competitive compared to buying it in the US/Europe. The service was excellent too. LG sent someone to adjust and set it up the same day. ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That said I bought my mother a 32" LED TV from LG when I was there and the price was very competitive compared to buying it in the US/Europe. The service was excellent too. LG sent someone to adjust and set it up the same day. ^
i was with a colleague in dubai last year & he paid about aed 3,700 for a 47 inch tv....with the exchange rate then, it cost him a little under inr 50k....the same tv was for about inr 75k here so he considered it a good saving....if he were to pay aed 3,700 today then it would come to around inr 63k....all of a sudden the saving doesn't seem so good....

since this time last year there is about a 20% difference in the rupee when compared to the dollar, euro, pound, etc....so effectively prices in india have become competitive when compared to us/europe even though the price of the tv hasn't changed much....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Keyser
transition in what way????

i haven't seen or heard of any incidents as of late where the passenger has been at the mercy of the customs agent....if you can prove you are under the allowance then there is no problem....
Stories are anecdotal. So no scientific data. One thing I KNOW, when rules are changing or just changed, the resulting "confusion" allows Customs to be as whimsical as it wants to be. Depending on your travel status ( single, kids, time is of essence, age etc) you can elect to tangle to argue your way out.
I know in my upcoming trip I will be caeful. BTW try taking in gold jewelery back into India that was made and purchased in India once upon at ime and see what happens.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stories are anecdotal. So no scientific data. One thing I KNOW, when rules are changing or just changed, the resulting "confusion" allows Customs to be as whimsical as it wants to be. Depending on your travel status ( single, kids, time is of essence, age etc) you can elect to tangle to argue your way out.
I know in my upcoming trip I will be caeful.
my point is that you used to hear horror stories all the time about custom officials but not so much anymore....

BTW try taking in gold jewelery back into India that was made and purchased in India once upon at ime and see what happens.
happened to a client of mine recently....he walked through the green channel by mistake & got into all sorts of trouble as they stopped & checked what he was carrying....took 3 months & a huge amount of penalty to get it sorted out....
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

my point is that you used to hear horror stories all the time about custom officials but not so much anymore....

happened to a client of mine recently....he walked through the green channel by mistake & got into all sorts of trouble as they stopped & checked what he was carrying....took 3 months & a huge amount of penalty to get it sorted out....
Patience...heard three from folks in Chcago....
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:00 pm

Patience...heard three from folks in Chcago....
Chances are they didn't share the full story. As far as TVs are concerned, there is no confusion - every airport in India has signs all over arrivals announcing the 36% duty.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 678flyer
every airport in India has signs all over arrivals announcing the 36% duty.
i'm surprised i never noticed those signs....now that i know they are there, i'll probably see them everywhere on my return from dxb later this month....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:46 am

i'm surprised i never noticed those signs....now that i know they are there, i'll probably see them everywhere on my return from dxb later this month....
Typically printed on A4 sheets and stuck to the pillars / wall in the baggage claim area. Confirmed in MAA, BOM and BLR.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically printed on A4 sheets and stuck to the pillars / wall in the baggage claim area. Confirmed in MAA, BOM and BLR.
will confirm if they are there in del as well....
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:54 am

Chances are they didn't share the full story. As far as TVs are concerned, there is no confusion - every airport in India has signs all over arrivals announcing the 36% duty.
That maybe the case. Did not notice them early Dec arrival in BOM.
My point is yes the OP was 19 inch TV, but we all know the penchant of Indian bureaucracy to interpret rules, laws to suit their whims, interpretation or opportunity to earn exta money.
I fly into India maybe twice a year so YMMV.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
will confirm if they are there in del as well....
Saw signs in Delhi too. Import Duty will be assessed on TVs. Was posted on the support structures near the baggage belt.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdf1223
Saw signs in Delhi too. Import Duty will be assessed on TVs. Was posted on the support structures near the baggage belt.
good to know....thanks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.