Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

ORD-DEL-MAA-DEL-ORD cannot be combined with IAH-ORD; ORD-IAH. Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-DEL-MAA-DEL-ORD cannot be combined with IAH-ORD; ORD-IAH. Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Question ORD-DEL-MAA-DEL-ORD cannot be combined with IAH-ORD; ORD-IAH. Why?

Sorry a basic question. I am able to get great fares for ORD-DEL-MAA-DEL-ORD on both Y and J for Nov outbound through Dec 2023 return. But being based in IAH, I am unable to add the segments IAH-ORD and ORD-IAH on www.airindia.com website. So, when I tried to build this at www.united.com the AI flights get priced at full fares Y, thus negating the whole purpose of flying super low AI prices.

AI and UA being *A partners, why would airindia.com not even allow adding the IAH-ORD and ORD-IAH segments?

I certainly do NOT want to buy two separate tickets - one on UA and the other on AI, as this is not for me...but for a super-senior citizen. Also, the ORD-DEL flight leaves around 12 noon Central, which means we have to early morning flights on UA from IAH and chances of a mishap if UA gets cancelled or delayed, especially if they are on 2 separate tickets with no protection on the INTL legs.

Please help!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Because of fare rules. Being best buds or *A partners unfortunately doesn't help in this case. You cannot ever break up segments and expect they will add up. It never works that way.

You could try and put together the same itinerary on LH or an OTA to see if they come out any better. But it's unlikely.

If you want to save money then I guess 2 tickets and get into ORD as early as you can. Generally the first flight of the day especially from IAH has a lower probability of being delayed. Otherwise for complete peace of mind look for an alternative carrier - either the ME3 or the EU carriers that fly out directly from IAH. It will be less hops and cheaper than the UA+AI.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Otherwise for complete peace of mind look for an alternative carrier - either the ME3 or the EU carriers that fly out directly from IAH. It will be less hops and cheaper than the UA+AI.
Originally Posted by surram
for a super-senior citizen. Also, the ORD-DEL flight leaves around 12 noon Central, which means we have to early morning flights on UA from IAH and chances of a mishap if UA gets cancelled or delayed, especially if they are on 2 separate tickets with no protection on the INTL legs.

If the pax is a senior citizen, I would want to have the simplest itinerary for them. Fewest connections. Lesser probability of mis-connects, baggage loading failures, etc. In the event of irrops, there are fewer scenarios to "what-if" and account for. Lesser hassle for the pax, especially given the probability of health issues if a senior citizen. That peace of mind is worth the possibly higher cost IAH-xxx-MAA IMO.
surram likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
If the pax is a senior citizen, I would want to have the simplest itinerary for them. Fewest connections. Lesser probability of mis-connects, baggage loading failures, etc. In the event of irrops, there are fewer scenarios to "what-if" and account for. Lesser hassle for the pax, especially given the probability of health issues if a senior citizen. That peace of mind is worth the possibly higher cost IAH-xxx-MAA IMO.
Some senior citizens may prefer AI because of language issues.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Some senior citizens may prefer AI because of language issues.
For non-Hindi desis that speak fluent English (e.g., Chennaivasis) it is actually better to avoid AI to avoid dealing with only Hindi speaking staff in DEL or BOM. For ME3 (e.g., DOH) carriers the wheelchair staff actually understands or speaks Tamil/Malayalam/Telugu :-) which is beneficial. And in FRA or MUC they speak English and is more convenient. Believe it or not, many down South prefer connections in a foreign land than in DEL or BOM due to (solely) Hindi speaking staff.

Many feel uncomfortable (or even foreign) with Hindi than English...truth be told.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:50 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
For non-Hindi desis that speak fluent English (e.g., Chennaivasis) it is actually better to avoid AI to avoid dealing with only Hindi speaking staff in DEL or BOM. For ME3 (e.g., DOH) carriers the wheelchair staff actually understands or speaks Tamil/Malayalam/Telugu :-) which is beneficial. And in FRA or MUC they speak English and is more convenient. Believe it or not, many down South prefer connections in a foreign land than in DEL or BOM due to (solely) Hindi speaking staff.

Many feel uncomfortable (or even foreign) with Hindi than English...truth be told.
Hindi only staff??? Like the person cleaning? What are you going on about. It’s india who is ever rude (other than Southerners) about language (especially to an old person). If you were in BOM and spoke English you will have ZERO problem. I speak very little hindi and go back to BOM ever year. Have had zero problem (and the airport is not even a consideration of language being an issue). If someone doesn’t speak fluent English (meaning your issue is more than where is the toilet or the gate), they call someone. And trust me there will be a tamil speaker at BOM floating around to help if situation is serious. The point of AI is less language and more Indian staff being more willing to help older Indian pax than their foreign counterparts (perception to reality). Btw you are the first to say staff are nicer in DOH/DXB/AUH than in India. Maybe you get a wheelchair person from your area of India or maybe you get someone that does not like where you are from. ME3 have a very diverse staff (with less and less Indians as time goes on IMHO). Look I think you should fly whomever you want. But people pushing this whole southerners shouldn’t connect i India because of language is a bogus argument. AI gets a ton of Southern connecting traffic via DEL (and even BOM). So clearly a lot of Southerns disagree with you.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Hindi only staff??? Like the person cleaning? What are you going on about.
I am referring to rude CISF security staff; and IRROPS or lost or delayed baggage situations where they had to deal with rude staff for filing paperwork, getting a stamp from Customs officials on that paperwork before they can exit, etc.

it’s well documented that CISF is made of Hindi only staff.

I speak Hindi fluently, so language is no impediment anywhere.

But I have observed this from friends and slightly aged relatives traveling for the first time abroad.

I agree with you on some points: language is NOT the sole criterion for them or any of them…but if all things being more or less equal, especially fares, then they ask me to buy tickets (on their behalf) to avoid flying in/out of DEL or BOM. That is just a preference…more than anything.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:41 am
Original Poster

it’s well documented that CISF is made of Hindi only staff.

I speak Hindi fluently, so language is no impediment anywhere.
If this is the plight of an MP then imagine that of a common man.

https://theprint.in/india/cisf-offic...hi/478276/?amp
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:45 am
Original Poster

If this is the plight of an MP then imagine that of a common man.

Incidents like these get etched in some people’s minds and creates latent fear and that results in their preference to avoid such locations altogether (if they can avoid).

But if they HAVE to travel there, they would, but just not their first choice…that is all I was trying to say.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 6:55 am

There are one-stops from IAH-MAA so why complicate matters?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
There are one-stops from IAH-MAA so why complicate matters?
just compare J prices on AI between ORD-MAA-ORD even for peak season in Dec-early Jan.

you can get RT for about $4,300. Compare that with ANY other carriers that are in $7K to $9K for comparable dates.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just compare J prices on AI between ORD-MAA-ORD even for peak season in Dec-early Jan.

you can get RT for about $4,300. Compare that with ANY other carriers that are in $7K to $9K for comparable dates.
I understand your perspective from a pricing point of view. If saving money trumps the comfort factor of a one stop for a senior citizen then just get a separate IAH-ORD return flight & get into ORD with enough time to spare. Even if that means taking an earlier flight & killing a few extra hours in ORD.
surram likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
I understand your perspective from a pricing point of view. If saving money trumps the comfort factor of a one stop for a senior citizen then just get a separate IAH-ORD return flight & get into ORD with enough time to spare. Even if that means taking an earlier flight & killing a few extra hours in ORD.
I totally understand...and helps validate my viewpoint. Thanks a lot to everyone for your inputs. I sincerely appreciate them.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Domestic feeders can be incorporated on both ends by a travel agent using the existing fares. You just can't do it using the airline websites because they have limited functionality. For example I can price MUC-CCU via AMS or VIE in relatively cheap business fares with feeder flights operated by LH or OS using google flights or in the GDS, but AI.com won't sell me those tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.