Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Compensation for award tickets on cancelled flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

What's the compensation for a award flight cancelled less than 2 weeks prior?

I have a flight on UK coming up. They haven't yet cancelled the flight yet - but they had suspended bookings on it a long long time ago. Now they have alternative flights in the +/- 4 hour time window. Still they haven't cancelled the flight or offered be any alternatives. So things are in limbo.

I'm thinking it might be more beneficial for me to claim compensation and book tickets again. Though there is the risk I'll have to jump through 200 hoops to get any. Still I have plenty of free time right now to kill...

How does compensation work for award flights less than 2 weeks out? I assume I would get back all the miles in my account along with the taxes I paid. Would I get the 20k or base fare back on the 2+ hour flight? How would that be calculated?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you say, "on UK" to you mean to or from the UK? What carrier? Why would you expect "compensation" rather than a refund? The details matter a great deal.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
When you say, "on UK" to you mean to or from the UK? What carrier? Why would you expect "compensation" rather than a refund? The details matter a great deal.
I say what I mean and mean what I say. So on UK a.k.a. Vistara Airlines.

I expect compensation because that's the law... at least for revenue tickets for flights cancelled less than 2 weeks prior to date of travel apart from the refund. I am not sure what the rule is for an award ticket.

Details do matter a great deal - and I did provide enough for someone who knows to answer the question.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:32 am
Suspended

You did not provide sufficient information.

Thus, the answer to your question is "maybe." Will depend on the details.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:17 am
Original Poster

You did not provide sufficient information.
How would you know that given you don't have any understanding of the subject matter.

Thus, the answer to your question is "maybe." Will depend on the details.
"Maybe & it depends" isn't an answer to my question at all. And again people who are familiar with this subject will understand I've provided all the information needed to get an answer. Moreover it is ok not to know the answer to this. People who are much much much more familiar with travel in India haven't been able to provide answer either. What I don't understand is why are you arguing about it. Chill.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in a perfect world you would get all the miles & taxes amount back but these are unusual times so there is no saying what uk will do....

ai is still holding on to many many miles of mine for flights that were cancelled over the last few months....ideally these miles & the taxes amount should have been refunded to me but there still seems to be very little clarity....
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
in a perfect world you would get all the miles & taxes amount back but these are unusual times so there is no saying what uk will do....
Of course... the miles & taxes back is a given. Even if they act difficult returning it.

My question is more on the compensation front. There is compensation for flights cancelled less than 2 weeks out - base fare + fuel etc. upto a max of 20k a part from refunding the full cost of the ticket.

I want to know what the comp is for award tickets - if any. I have 5 people on the ticket - so it might be a good chuck of change. And given current ticket costs - if there is decent compensation - it could cover buying revenue tickets today - thus saving me the miles. So I want to know my rights in this situation.

How hard I will have to fight to get the miles & the comp is going to be the next discussion thread once I figure this part out.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:43 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
FWIW, I had three such instances on UK over the past few months where flights were not cancelled, but "re-scheduled for operational reasons", not even for a few hours, but in one case by three days! And in every instance this happened within a week of original departure. Worked out okay for me, as I wanted to rebook and postpone anyways.

Good luck getting them to officially admit to a "cancellation"!
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Of course... the miles & taxes back is a given. Even if they act difficult returning it.

My question is more on the compensation front. There is compensation for flights cancelled less than 2 weeks out - base fare + fuel etc. upto a max of 20k a part from refunding the full cost of the ticket.

I want to know what the comp is for award tickets - if any. I have 5 people on the ticket - so it might be a good chuck of change. And given current ticket costs - if there is decent compensation - it could cover buying revenue tickets today - thus saving me the miles. So I want to know my rights in this situation.

How hard I will have to fight to get the miles & the comp is going to be the next discussion thread once I figure this part out.
given the overall travel climate these days, i would be very surprised if they were to give you any compensation at all....
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
My flight is surely cancelled. They haven't just cancelled my particular flight. That flight schedule has been completely removed for the bookable future. UK will try and pull out some nonsense to justify it though.

Originally Posted by Keyser
given the overall travel climate these days, i would be very surprised if they were to give you any compensation at all....
I know what I'm up against. Given I don't have to spend hours in traffic and my clients aren't keeping me very busy I have loads of free time to do this. Question only is... is it worth doing... and I don't have an answer to that as yet.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
FWIW, I had three such instances on UK over the past few months where flights were not cancelled, but "re-scheduled for operational reasons", not even for a few hours, but in one case by three days! And in every instance this happened within a week of original departure. Worked out okay for me, as I wanted to rebook and postpone anyways.

This is counted as a cancellation in terms of EC261/2004.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
Given that OP still refuses to answer the most basic questions, such as routing, it doesn't matter what EC 261/2004 provides for when we don't even know that it applies.

OP believes that he has provided the information needed to assess his situation, but he has not. Thus, the answer to his question remains, as it has been since he posted the question, "maybe".
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Given that OP still refuses to answer the most basic questions, such as routing, it doesn't matter what EC 261/2004 provides for when we don't even know that it applies.

OP believes that he has provided the information needed to assess his situation, but he has not. Thus, the answer to his question remains, as it has been since he posted the question, "maybe".
This is a flight on Vistara Airlines in India. It's not related to E261 - whose rules are very clear. It's related to India's DCGA's rules - which are as always half baked and/or illogical.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Oct 5, 2020 at 11:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.