Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flying DEL SFO on UA on B1/B2, do i need anything extra?

Flying DEL SFO on UA on B1/B2, do i need anything extra?

Old Aug 20, 20, 2:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Flying DEL SFO on UA on B1/B2, do i need anything extra?

i keep hearing about declaration forms and arogya setu.

I havent' downloaded the app and will try to avoid it, unless entry to the airport is denied without an app, i got the dummy nokia 1100 phone excuse that i have used at every place there is in india that required it but let you go.

Got covid test guy coming in around 14 hours before take off and says will have report around 8 hours before take off

Anything else i can do to make my life easier?

Also, i usually get to the airport 90 minutes before take off for Business class and around 100-120 minutes before take off in Y, is that still the norm? With less flights, i would imagine airports to be less crowded, less time at immigration and all?
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 20, 20, 3:08 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,874
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan View Post
Anything else i can do to make my life easier?
No - in fact, you are making your life more difficult.

While India is not a prohibited country, this is still the worst time to fly to the U.S. Yet, you are attempting to enter the U.S. by a tourist visa. You'd better have a legitimate reason to enter or otherwise...
minhaoxue likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Aug 20, 20, 6:01 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
No - in fact, you are making your life more difficult.

While India is not a prohibited country, this is still the worst time to fly to the U.S. Yet, you are attempting to enter the U.S. by a tourist visa. You'd better have a legitimate reason to enter or otherwise...
its also called a business visa for a reason
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 20, 20, 6:51 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,874
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan View Post
its also called a business visa for a reason
Then be prepared to explain.
minhaoxue likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 12:33 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SFO
Posts: 98
No you don't need anything extra, but be prepared to be denied entry and possibly boarding at DEL. If they let you on the plane, great. If they let you through US immigration, then even better. Just have low expectations.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 1:19 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS View Post
No you don't need anything extra, but be prepared to be denied entry and possibly boarding at DEL. If they let you on the plane, great. If they let you through US immigration, then even better. Just have low expectations.
i Understand denied entry and decision by officer at US immigration, but how can they deny boarding in DEL? It's not like check in agent at counter have rights to make decision based on reasoning provided by passenger?
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 1:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 2,222
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan View Post
Anything else i can do to make my life easier?
Don't travel or pray a lot when you do.

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
You'd better have a legitimate reason to enter or otherwise...
You always need a legitimate reason to enter any foreign country, pandemic or not.

Is there excessive screening happening right now? I haven't heard of CBP excessively or unreasonably denying entry right now even if your reason is to just visit the statue of liberty.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is online now  
Old Aug 21, 20, 1:35 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Don't travel or pray a lot when you do.
Do u mean that you are not denied entry or do you mean, pray that you don't get a virus because you are travelling?

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
I haven't heard of CBP excessively or unreasonably denying entry right now even if your reason is to just visit the statue of liberty.
Same, i have heard of few people traveling last week from BOM and had very simple routine US immigration questions and were let in.
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 1:52 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 2,222
Originally Posted by mohitmadaan View Post
Do u mean that you are not denied entry or do you mean, pray that you don't get a virus because you are travelling?
Pray for whatever your wishing for... not having to travel, being denied entry or doing your travel and being safe...

I donít think one needs to be overly worried about being allowed to depart from India or be denied entry into the US. Both can happen but for the general public itís very very unlikely.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is online now  
Old Aug 21, 20, 2:08 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Pray for whatever your wishing for... not having to travel, being denied entry or doing your travel and being safe...

I donít think one needs to be overly worried about being allowed to depart from India or be denied entry into the US. Both can happen but for the general public itís very very unlikely.

cool thanks, i will keep this thread posted with updates. Covid test done and result expected in few hours, most likely negative. If positive, of course that will make things easier and not have to travel
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 5:11 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
No - in fact, you are making your life more difficult.

While India is not a prohibited country, this is still the worst time to fly to the U.S. Yet, you are attempting to enter the U.S. by a tourist visa. You'd better have a legitimate reason to enter or otherwise...
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS View Post
No you don't need anything extra, but be prepared to be denied entry and possibly boarding at DEL. If they let you on the plane, great. If they let you through US immigration, then even better. Just have low expectations.
india & usa have established an air bubble & travel between the 2 countries on direct flights started many weeks ago....usa is allowing indian b1/b2 visa holders to enter without any specific reason....over the last couple of weeks i know many people who have traveled from india & they have been admitted into the country without any scrutiny....a friend flew del-nyc earlier this week on a b1/b2 visa & at immigration he was asked the purpose of his visit, to which he replied he was there to shop & spend a few weeks at his friend's ranch somewhere in texas....he was allowed in without any further questions....another friend owns an apartment in new york & he flew there earlier this month....at immigration he told them he was there since he needed to get away from india for a month & just relax at his place in the city....he too was let in without any further questions....

having said that, i am of the opinion that travel at this time should only be done if it is absolutely necessary but immigration in usa is letting indians in on b1/b2 visas without any problems....
Keyser is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 2:02 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DEL
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS View Post
No you don't need anything extra, but be prepared to be denied entry and possibly boarding at DEL. If they let you on the plane, great.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and just fear mongering, i wonder why?

Anyways, i am at the Lounge and have cleared check in, immigration and security without even a single question. Believe it or not, the questiong is less than pre covid times, there are no lines and obviously a lot less people.

Here my experience so far at DEL
  • You do not need anything extra other than "Health declaration form" and you can download it online. Fill 2 copies, they stamp 1 at the gate and keep other, the stamp copied is required at immigrations
  • No Arogya setu app required or asked
  • Check in easier, they didn't even ask for return ticket which they always do (perhaps because they saw it in their system). They always ask for US address, which they did.
  • Immigration was easier than pre covid, around 5 people ahead of me in business/first class line and economy lines were even shorter, so i just used one of those
  • Security had a little bit of line but even that was easier because they don't provide you those tags anymore for your tray number, pat down with device attached to handle from far.
Unless i get denied boarding at the gate, i think you were simply speculating with no experience during the COVID times, please do not spread false information.

A friend landed at SFO a week ago and was let in without any extra questioning, so i think the US side is also operating very normally. I urge you to think again before spreading mis information on other threads or forums, please, it doesn't help anyone. This is not even reddit that you get some karma.
mohitmadaan is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 2:35 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,874
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
usa is allowing indian b1/b2 visa holders to enter without any specific reason....
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
a friend flew del-nyc earlier this week on a b1/b2 visa & at immigration he was asked the purpose of his visit, to which he replied he was there to shop & spend a few weeks at his friend's ranch somewhere in texas....
This is what I call self-contradicting.

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn View Post
Is there excessive screening happening right now? I haven't heard of CBP excessively or unreasonably denying entry right now even if your reason is to just visit the statue of liberty.
Think about this way - COVID-19 is a world crisis. Yet - you choose to fly a long way. Don't you think you need a solid reason to enter?

Also - if you say statue of liberty, the chance of denied entry is high, as it is limited opening now.
minhaoxue likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 10:02 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,893
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
This is what I call self-contradicting.
this is what i call having zero knowledge about the question on hand....

when you enter another country, you are generally asked the reason for your visit....usa is not limiting the responses to any specific reason or criteria that is different from pre-covid times....any reason that worked pre-covid is working now....how in the blue hell is this self-contradicting????

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Think about this way - COVID-19 is a world crisis. Yet - you choose to fly a long way. Don't you think you need a solid reason to enter?
i agree that its a world crisis & i personally would not travel unless i absolutely had to....but usa is not asking for a solid reason to enter....just as 'solid' as the reason was before the pandemic....trump wants the economy revived....tourists help in that regard....that is reason enough to let people in....i think its a bad idea but each country is free to do what they want to do....

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Also - if you say statue of liberty, the chance of denied entry is high, as it is limited opening now.
once again, you seem to have zero knowledge regarding this....usa has a list of countries through which you cannot travel....essentially its china, iran, uk, ireland, brazil & the eu schengen area....if you have been in one of these places over the last 14 days then you cannot enter....that is the limit of your so called limited opening....every other country is allowed in....you can come in for tourism, shopping, business or even to see the status of liberty....

its highly irresponsible to be spreading wrong information about something you seem to know nothing about....
Keyser is offline  
Old Aug 21, 20, 11:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Posts: 2,222
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Think about this way - COVID-19 is a world crisis. Yet - you choose to fly a long way. Don't you think you need a solid reason to enter?

Also - if you say statue of liberty, the chance of denied entry is high, as it is limited opening now.
Umm is this is based on real experiences? Entry into some countries today require a "solid reason". India for instance - coming here on a business visa (especially when business visas were initially allowed to enter) would require a lot of justification. However the same hasn't been true for Indians entering USA where it has been BAU.

I go to (or used to till COVID) the US about 8-10 times a year over the past many years. I can say that at least 3-4 times a year I have been let in without the CBP saying anything to me other than "hello". All I'm saying is that level of scrutiny hasn't changed. Yes they have less visitors now so I think they might ask all visitors "what have you come here for" but based on people I know who have traveled recently and others on FT I don't think there is any additional scrutiny going on right now.

And yes they would let people in if they say it's to see the statue of liberty - however I'm not going to personally travel there to prove my point.
PiperAtGatesofDawn is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: