Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: TK E+, BA EC Silver, Vistara Platinum, JP Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I need to travel from India to Turkey in January and I am presently booked on a TK flight on 03JAN22 from BOM-IST. In the event that the ban on scheduled flights is extended further, is there any legal way for someone to fly from India to Turkey under the air bubbles? I've read through all the air bubbles in detail but cannot see any that includes possibilities for travel to Turkey.
Has TK cancelled your flight yet? If not I would hold onto the ticket and not do anything yet. Wait until the end of November to see if there is more clarity and if the air bubbles end. If there is no clarity on 30th of Nov then waiting till the 31st of Dec is too risky (and I wouldn't expect a notification to come out any earlier given past history of notifications coming out at the very last minute).

If the bubble hasn't ended then Nepal would be your best bet. There are quite a few options to fly to KTM from most major Indian cities. Just make sure non-Indian travelers have a valid visa and stay in KTM. There are good hotel options there. Hopefully you can take the time to see Kathmandu. And then from there you can catch a direct flight to IST on TK though I don't think that's a daily service.

Also see if TK can re-route your existing ticket from BOM-IST to KTM-IST since they have a flexible booking policy in the pandemic and India and Nepal fall in the same zone for them. That way you only have to pay for BOM-KTM as KTM-IST flights are mostly empty in Jan right now and you shouldn't have to pay any fare difference.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Wandering_Indian
Has TK cancelled your flight yet?
Yes, Turkish has cancelled all flights from India until April.

Originally Posted by Wandering_Indian
See if TK can re-route your existing ticket from BOM-IST to KTM-IST since they have a flexible booking policy in the pandemic and India and Nepal fall in the same zone for them. That way you only have to pay for BOM-KTM as KTM-IST flights are mostly empty in Jan right now and you shouldn't have to pay any fare difference.
They were not willing to rebook me from Kathmandu (or on any other routing) - my only options were to rebook after April or refund so I chose the latter and we have booked via Nepal. The only remaining issue is whether Turkey still maintains their 14-day quarantine requirement on travelers from Nepal by the time January comes around - if so, we will have to probably shuffle via a different intermediate point that permits non-citizens to travel (Maldives maybe?).
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
United staff (at BOM airport) told me a few days ago that the AI EWR flight was not operating and they had an effective "monopoly" on the route...

Also, after 8 November, all UA flights are going *fully packed*, so I hope that AI is - or will be operating - so that I can get decent fares on UA!!

AI is operating EWR-BOM. I'm already in BOM(came on UA) and my family is coming on AI during thanksgiving. I was looking to change my return on UA and the flights are super full ex-BOM(UA changed it to a 789 instead of 77W).
I've flown UA(and CO before merger) many times but now the 10 across on a 77W and poor meal make it a horrible flight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Acid
AI is operating EWR-BOM. I'm already in BOM(came on UA) and my family is coming on AI during thanksgiving. I was looking to change my return on UA and the flights are super full ex-BOM(UA changed it to a 789 instead of 77W).
I've flown UA(and CO before merger) many times but now the 10 across on a 77W and poor meal make it a horrible flight.
Interesting that UA BOM staff not aware of situation...!

I am fully aware of the 789 - flew the *last* 77w flight out of BOM and just back on the 789 - horrible in comparison to the 77w, my favorite aircraft...CO's old 772-ER before that - but *only* after they joined *A...

I asked a co-pilot if the 789 was more fuel-efficient, but he was *clueless* - he openly admitted he didn't know!!

I was informed by an FA on the outbound that UA didn't have enough type-rated pilots for the 77w as many retired, but the inbound FA replied regarding the fuel efficiency to me after I queried the co-pilot and said that for the winter months the 789 was more fuel efficient.

Note that DEL is still getting the 77w, but BOM airport staff are saying that the DEL flight will also be changed to a 789 shortly...

Btw, I had *both* the "Polaris" meal and the Y meal, but man - that Y meal is really ridiculously small!
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 8, 2021 at 4:37 am Reason: Clarity...
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Interesting that UA BOM staff not aware of situation...!

I am fully aware of the 789 - flew the *last* 77w flight out of BOM and just back on the 789 - horrible in comparison to the 77w, my favorite aircraft...CO's old 772-ER before that - but *only* after they joined *A...

I asked a co-pilot if the 789 was more fuel-efficient, but he was *clueless* - he openly admitted he didn't know!!

I was informed by an FA on the outbound that UA didn't have enough type-rated pilots for the 77w as many retired, but the inbound FA replied regarding the fuel efficiency to me after I queried the co-pilot and said that for the winter months the 789 was more fuel efficient.

Note that DEL is still getting the 77w, but BOM airport staff are saying that the DEL flight will also be changed to a 789 shortly...

Btw, I had *both* the "Polaris" meal and the Y meal, but man - that Y meal is really ridiculously small!

Ah, thanks for this, I'm actually booked via DEL on my return on 77W again and I thought maybe 789 would be a better experience. Also I noted from today BOM flight goes back to Terminal C instead of B(where I heard all pax had to stand in immigration line regardless of nationality/green card due to travel ban)

Back to my original query, looking for some feedback on how the AI flight is nowadays as we have kids travelling and its a daytime flight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Ah, thanks for this, I'm actually booked via DEL on my return on 77W again and I thought maybe 789 would be a better experience. Also I noted from today BOM flight goes back to Terminal C instead of B(where I heard all pax had to stand in immigration line regardless of nationality/green card due to travel ban)
Yes, that was indeed *very weird* - I was in line (in Terminal B) for 25 minutes and then decided to use the Mobile Passport app (GE renewal pending until I get time for an interview...) to get moving faster - it was crazy - took 1+ hours to get suitcases, despite priority tags (well, UA EWR always ignores those)...

Regarding 789 - it's very cramped (in Polaris) and the overhead compartments come down very low and can impact your head - very different from 77w. One less lav. The seat didn't seem narrower in Polaris, but I only started flying after a long time...

Back to my original query, looking for some feedback on how the AI flight is nowadays as we have kids travelling and its a daytime flight.
I'm checking on AI for this flight - let's see if they operate!

Edited to Add: Apparently AI is only restarting on 10 Nov.....

SamirD likes this.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 8, 2021 at 4:59 am
Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Couple of questions before our travel to BLR (from BOS, connecting through LHR) commences.

- The RT-PCR test reports that we need to upload to Air Suvidha have the name, date of birth of the patient, the testing methodology (RT-PCR) and a negative test result. Is that information in the report enough for approval? Or do we need to find a testing center that adds details like passport number on it?
- In the self declaration form, it asks for " City of Departure". Do we use BOS for that or LHR as the flight landing in BLR would originate from London?

Thank you again for replying to the numerous queries people have posted here.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Couple of questions before our travel to BLR (from BOS, connecting through LHR) commences.

- The RT-PCR test reports that we need to upload to Air Suvidha have the name, date of birth of the patient, the testing methodology (RT-PCR) and a negative test result. Is that information in the report enough for approval? Or do we need to find a testing center that adds details like passport number on it?
- In the self declaration form, it asks for " City of Departure". Do we use BOS for that or LHR as the flight landing in BLR would originate from London?

Thank you again for replying to the numerous queries people have posted here.
Just a negative RT-PCR with name is needed.
No one checked Air Suvidha in India. You could write BOS as city as the only people who look at it is at the departure point where you get the Boarding pass for India.

I hope you and/or spouse are non-Indian citizens if flying BA(not sure if they are following bubble rules, but I didnt wanna risk it myself)
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:30 am

Just a negative RT-PCR with name is needed.
No one checked Air Suvidha in India. You could write BOS as city as the only people who look at it is at the departure point where you get the Boarding pass for India.

I hope you and/or spouse are non-Indian citizens if flying BA(not sure if they are following bubble rules, but I didnt wanna risk it myself)
Thank you for the reply. I am an Indian citizen. Wife is a US citizen but with an OCI. That's what is allowing us to fly through BA, I believe.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Thank you for the reply. I am an Indian citizen. Wife is a US citizen but with an OCI. That's what is allowing us to fly through BA, I believe.
Correct, budget some time for a test on arrival since you are coming from Europe.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:30 pm

Programs: QFF
wife and kids flying syd-doh-hyd on QR. will they need to test on arrival?
all of them are australian citizens with oci.
wife is vaccinated and kids are under 12
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Correct, budget some time for a test on arrival since you are coming from Europe.
Not needed I think if vaccinated..

"Travellers from specified Countries at risk [as mentioned in para (iii) above] will follow the protocol as detailed below: a. If traveller is coming from a Country with which India has reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines (Category A):
i. If fully vaccinated*: They shall be allowed to leave the airport and shall selfmonitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival.
ii. If partially/not vaccinated:
The travellers need to undertake the following measures: Submission of sample for post-arrival COVID-19 test at the point of arrival after which they will be allowed to leave the airport, Home quarantine for 7 days, Re-test on the 8th day of arrival in India and if negative, further selfmonitor of their health for next 7 days"
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by somebol
wife and kids flying syd-doh-hyd on QR. will they need to test on arrival?
all of them are australian citizens with oci.
wife is vaccinated and kids are under 12
Not at risk country.. if vaccinated can walk out with self monitoring..

https://www.newdelhiairport.in/media...tober-2021.pdf
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
Not needed I think if vaccinated..

"Travellers from specified Countries at risk [as mentioned in para (iii) above] will follow the protocol as detailed below: a. If traveller is coming from a Country with which India has reciprocal arrangements for mutual acceptance of WHO approved COVID-19 vaccines (Category A):
i. If fully vaccinated*: They shall be allowed to leave the airport and shall selfmonitor their health for 14 days’ post arrival.
ii. If partially/not vaccinated:
The travellers need to undertake the following measures: Submission of sample for post-arrival COVID-19 test at the point of arrival after which they will be allowed to leave the airport, Home quarantine for 7 days, Re-test on the 8th day of arrival in India and if negative, further selfmonitor of their health for next 7 days"
Ah, my bad. Didn't realize UK was off the naughty list.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:05 am

Ah, my bad. Didn't realize UK was off the naughty list.
yeah, both of us are vaccinated. thank you all for replying.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.