Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Airways bankruptcy and rebirth 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:48 pm

well here's hoping they still fly at least until next year. we have tickets on them on end-April...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:22 pm
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
That is bad news.... 9W will shut shop shortly with the way it’s going. What’s even worse news is that this means that AI and UK will follow suit and that’s the end of meals in Y in India!

And that’s only good news for the crappy crap over priced crap that the airports sell you.
I think this might not be the worst thing.. I see the airlines trying to cut off the non essential and save money and keep the airlines afloat.. not get lost in false image saving like KF.. I think there is hope for Jet..
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Or maybe encourage people to eat beforehand at home or carry dry food (sandwiches) to eat onboard
That’s not always possible... given that some trips might end up being ~6 hours door to door, odd timings, kids, work travel, a rushed schedule etc. all makes a decent meal onboard a very welcome thing.

And even though over the few years the quantity and quality of 9W’s food has gone down. It was still quite edible and a very welcome part of the overall service and a factor many like me to use to buy a 9W/AI ticket over 6E.

Besides even having to pay for food onboard doesn’t mean you get a nice tray full of some hot (and kind of) wholesome food. Paying onboard means you usually get a hugely overpriced stale sandwich. So as a customer you lose, lose, lose, lose, lose.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Flyfromscratch
I think this might not be the worst thing.. I see the airlines trying to cut off the non essential and save money and keep the airlines afloat.. not get lost in false image saving like KF.. I think there is hope for Jet..
There is no hope for 9W unless a buyer comes along. And with the Tata’s out and EY very unsure it’s not looking good right now. EY, DL or others could still take over in some form. Otherwise 9W’s only delaying the inevitable - these measures aren’t going to save it - maybe just slightly delay it.

Offering a meal isn’t going the KF way. And KF collapsed for a lot of reasons including buying an LCC it couldn’t manage.

I have many issues with 9W. Including that they should have realised how screwed they were months and months ago and started some of their cost saving & austerity measures then instead of at the very last minute. Why did they just realize this yesterday!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:44 am

Oh and I'm even more cheesed with 9W's PR department who continue to send these kinds of emails: More choice & flexibility with our expanded range of “Fare Choices” on flights within India! I've never liked 9W's PR dept. I think they're generally a bunch of stupid liars but this is getting to be way too much BS.

Also, I'm not sure why 9W is prolonging their cost cutting - they should have done the food, lounge, route cuts, miles and other cuts in one swoop. Why are they dragging this out. Every week we keep hearing about another cost cutting exercise... and it sounds like "yeah we have no idea or strategy to what we're doing but we just had another idea last night"! It's not good PR and it doesn't sit well with customers. Doing it at one shot would have been far less painful than dragging it out the way they have.This way just shows they don't have a clue.
AJLondon and Bioflyer like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Looks like 9W is now all in to get caash from Etihad... definitely the wrong place to ask for cash... they are dying a slow death too.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/66925671.cms
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
That is bad news.... 9W will shut shop shortly with the way it’s going. What’s even worse news is that this means that AI and UK will follow suit and that’s the end of meals in Y in India!

And that’s only good news for the crappy crap over priced crap that the airports sell you.
With all flights under 3 hours, there is no reason for free meals to exist in India. Indians love a cheap air ticket more than an expensive ticket that comes with meal and a FF program. Indigo proved that.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by leonidas
With all flights under 3 hours, there is no reason for free meals to exist in India. Indians love a cheap air ticket more than an expensive ticket that comes with meal and a FF program. Indigo proved that.
Just because a flight is under 3 hours doesn’t mean your travel time is. And the meals are never “free”. Also what is the cost of it? I can’t imagine it’s more than Rs. 200 if that. And my point here being we’ll still spend that Rs. 200 or Rs. 300 for food but get a stale sandwich instead of the hot meal!

On most days most sectors 9W has a fairly competive ticket price it’s only AI that is usually much more expensive but occasionally very competitive too. Ticket prices in India have roughly been same across LCCs and FSCs. It’s not like the US or worse EU where the LCCs offer EUR10 tickets!

Indigo won because they focused on operational excellence and getting the best slots and they very clearly won that game. Every one traveling early morning for a 10 AM meeting wants to travel on Indigo.

India is the fastest growing aviation market in 2018. So it wasn’t load factors or hot meals that screwed 9W.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 4, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

India has had the lowest RASK in any market since years. Indigo and others have had unit revenues far below any European or US LCC. Competition is/was brutal in this market.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:15 am

That's true. But at the same time they will have (one of) the lowest CASK as well. And that's not surprising because of significantly lower labour and other costs plus a decent scale of operations.

Given the rise in fuel prices and ATF contributes more significantly to overall costs in India and the depreciation of the rupee vs. US$ I'm surprised the airlines didn't band together to raise ticket prices. It became more of lets see who bleeds to death first! Crazy!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I have been on approx 20 domestic flights over the past 2 months, 12 of which have been on Jet. I've hardly seen an empty seat on any of the flights; several including both my flights, last Saturday, were oversold. I don't understand the discussion about overcapacity in the market and inability of airlines to raise fares. Route realignment, strategic mindset and proper revenue management is the way to go. Unfortunately, it may be too late for 9W though.

Messing around with lounge access, meals, business class miles earnings, delaying refunds, etc seem like poorly thought out moves to alienate their most loyal customers. Additionally their constant presence in the media, due to all wrong reasons, prevents people from making reservations more than a few days out, hurting revenues from casual/holiday travellers who book tickets months out.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:46 am

While your experience is more anecdotal than statistical evidence - it was never overcapacity and therefore fear of increasing prices and losing market share that was the problem.

In the last year costs shot up significantly for ATF, $ rate etc. All of which have had a huge impact on IbA costs. However, because of 6E none of the other carriers (except AI who don't really care about anything including competition, fuel costs and exchange rates) dared to increase their ticket prices fearing they would lose out even more to 6E. 6E had enough cash in it's war chest to bleed the others dry and out of the competition.

Everybody made huge losses in the last few quarters... yet ticket prices remained the same. Obviously there are going to be plenty of causalities in this kind of game.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:48 am

QR not interested in 9W because of the 24% EY stake: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67539389.cms

Salaries still not paid: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67534446.cms

Lessors getting nervous: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67486319.cms

EY wants Goyal to rescind some of his share to the banks: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67519341.cms
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
What happens in this scenario?

So have an international ticket DEL - AMS - PDX - AMS - DEL of which two legs (DEL - AMS - PDX) flown. Return PDX - AMS is on Delta on codeshare ticket issued by Jet and AMS-DEL on Jet metal in August.
What happens if Jet goes down and closes shop? Will Delta honor their flight ? I assume Jet will try to give a refund for the AMS - DEL leg but that will take its own time ?

Have not bought trip insurance. Is that something we can buy or add on ticket now?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:53 pm

If Jet goes under other airlines will not transport you on a Jet issued ticket. The credit card you used to purchase the ticket will refund you the charges. Check if your card has any travel interruption coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.