Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Adding non-AI FF number to AI booking ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold

Hi there,
I just noticed that it is not possible to add any non-AI FF number to AI booking
on-line. I called telephone support line and they said that it is a new policy and
it can ONLY be added by agent at the airport. Why is AI not allowing customers
to add their non-AI FF number to the booking ??
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can add it during online check-in. Otherwise any ticket agent can add it.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can add it during online check-in. Otherwise any ticket agent can add it.
Nope ! That is not possible. I tried all different ways. Even AI phone agents can not add it now. (I did not check non-AI travel agents since this was a AI web booking). Only at the airport check-in desk according to AI phone agent :-(
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
this is a recent change made about a month ago....for a couple of days in june they weren't even allowing their own ai number to be added online or over the phone (unless you entered it at the time of booking) but thankfully they rectified that quickly....

this change makes no sense but then again this is ai we are talking about....not much about them makes sense....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Did AI migrate or update its CRS? However limited SITA Horizon PSS may be, it should still be able to do such things?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
this is a recent change made about a month ago....for a couple of days in june they weren't even allowing their own ai number to be added online or over the phone (unless you entered it at the time of booking) but thankfully they rectified that quickly....

this change makes no sense but then again this is ai we are talking about....not much about them makes sense....
This is a huge pain for someone that is a *G with a non-AI carrier. To get lounge benefits, they now MUST go to
an agent at the airport so a proper boarding card can be generated to access the lounge...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
It looks like you can add AI partner FFP#s now. I tried through guest mode and by logging in. Both accepted partner FFP #s (though I didn’t purchase the ticket).

I assume you weren’t trying to change the FFP# in your ticket rather you were adding one. I can imagine it’s a huge pain to go to the CA to get that added.

As for lounge acccess - AI has contract lounges in most airports in India (except DEL) so you would have to go to the airline counters anyways to get your lounge pass.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
It looks like you can add AI partner FFP#s now. I tried through guest mode and by logging in. Both accepted partner FFP #s (though I didn’t purchase the ticket).

I assume you weren’t trying to change the FFP# in your ticket rather you were adding one. I can imagine it’s a huge pain to go to the CA to get that added.

As for lounge acccess - AI has contract lounges in most airports in India (except DEL) so you would have to go to the airline counters anyways to get your lounge pass.
Is this at the time of purchase ? I was trying to add it later since I had not added any number while booking.
I tried as "manage my booking" and "web check-in". In both cases it was not allowing to add any
other FF number...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by flyalways
Is this at the time of purchase ? I was trying to add it later since I had not added any number while booking.
I tried as "manage my booking" and "web check-in". In both cases it was not allowing to add any
other FF number...
Yes it was at the time of purchase.

Here's what I suspect (though not sure) happened in your case. You logged in while purchasing the ticket - and AI added your AI FFP by default to your ticket. Most airlines don't allow changing FFPs online till OLCI or allow it only at airport check-in, gate check-in and sometimes through phone till gate check-in.

If you already had a FFP# in your ticket and given this is AI - your phone agent was probably correct in saying you need to get it changed at the airport.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Jul 9, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:33 am

Here's what I suspect (though not sure) happened in your case. You logged in while purchasing the ticket - and AI added your AI FFP by default to your ticket. Most airlines don't allow changing FFPs online till OLCI or allow it only at airport check-in, gate check-in and sometimes through phone till gate check-in.

If you already had a FFP# in your ticket and given this is AI - your phone agent was probably correct in saying you need to get it changed at the airport.
Recently I booked a AI ticket on an OTA. Usually I would then go to manage booking on the AI website to add seats and *A FFP number but this time the drop down menu for FFP only showed Air India as an option. All other *A airlines were not shown. I called AI and they said that this feature has been removed and to add another airline FFP, I must contact the checkin agent at airport. There is no other way.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Nope ! This is NOT what happened to me. I had the number BLANK in the reservation when I purchased it
online. During the OLCI window I could not add the United number via "Manage my booking" OR "web check-in".
In both cases the ONLY option was to put AI FF number. (The interface was poorly designed to suggest that
you could put some other FF number when you can not)

Here is what happened at the check-in desk. They explained to me that I need to
show them the original United FF card or some proof that the number belongs to me.
Looks like they have no way of matching the name on the United FF account with the
name on the ticket automatically. Looks like people with SAME last name were
taking advantage of this situation and adding a *G number of relative with same
last name. They could not verify this and were now giving lounge access to
non *G customers. So their fix is to not allow this online.

I find that to be a very weak explanation. Most of the other airlines in
*alliance network can match it correctly so why can't they ? Is the IT
system of AI not smart enough to do this ? This creates a huge burden on
legit *G members to make sure that the number is added at the
check-in desk if somehow they do not add it at the time of booking or
want to change it due to error etc...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:54 pm

How did you manage the situation since UA doesn't give physical cards? Did you show it on the app? They could have accused of traveling on someone else's FFP with the same last and first name.

I have had a similar situation at check-in in CCU a year or so ago where I was carded. I had entered my AI FFP in the reservation and the system had accepted it. Still the check-in agent carded me despite their system showing me as TMC! I asked them why he needed to see the card and he said he needed to check my name there.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Yes, Air India's new changes is not to allow any other Star Alliance members' frequent flyer numbers to be updated until checking-in at the counter! (We used to be able to do this online)

This is one way to save on liabilities to *A / other airlines, I guess!

(They told me to call United to have them update their (AI) PNR! Like UA's SHARES will have access to AI's SITA?? How ridiculous!)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes, Air India's new changes is not to allow any other Star Alliance members' frequent flyer numbers to be updated until checking-in at the counter! (We used to be able to do this online)

(They told me to call United to have them update their (AI) PNR! Like UA's SHARES will have access to AI's SITA?? How ridiculous!)
wow....just wow. have you already flown the segment in AI and did they accept your UA FF number
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy

How?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.