Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
DEL-TLV yesterday on 788 (VT-ANC) in J. I'll not comment on the hard product as it's well known awaiting re-furbishment. All I can say is, the seat reclined well, power sockets working was hit & miss (mine didnt, seat next to me did).. IFE content was decent for Indian movies, limited on Hollywood, but system and screen very old.. remote was well worn and needed few long presses to make choices..

Pros: Even though it was an evening 7hr flight; PJs were offered and were mighty comfortable. Headphones seemed upgraded and were really good noise cancelling (I forgot to see the branding, will catch on return) - but were taken away 40 mins prior to landing like AA does.. Flight crew was super attentive and the coffee was really good!

Cons: Meal left a lot to desire. Wine / champagne selection was ordinary. Two french white and french red (like $15 bottles in US).. DEL AI lounge - i really hope they do better in the upcoming refurbishment - food and drink selection is something they can easily upgrade right now - but its very ordinary..
SamirD and 9W73H like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Breakfast in Y on CCU-DEL two days ago:

Did a similar CCU-DEL early morning flight.... looks like the official sausage and potato cutter at SATS (or whoever) showed up for work today. Someone had smashed my bread... but it did taste like it was just taken out of the oven 2 minutes ago - super good! The packaged dahi was disappointing though - AI generally does great desserts and should really just stick to that.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Mar 6, 2024 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
That is a take on bengali mishti doi so it tastes different. My bread was not heated up so relatively inedible.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:44 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That is a take on bengali mishti doi so it tastes different. My bread was not heated up so relatively inedible.
Mother Dairy's take on regular mishti doi tastes "different" too if I'm being generous. AI desserts are sugar loaded deliciousness... and I would hate to see them move to this and other packaged food vs. the generally fresh stuff they serve.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:00 am

Anyone know if the ORD-DEL & JFK-DEL have newer planes or way to figure it out?

Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ravi
Anyone know if the ORD-DEL & JFK-DEL have newer planes or way to figure it out?

Thanks!
The wiki here - AI B777 Fleet adjustments (Refurb B77W, Retire B77L, Lease B77E)
ravi and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
Jfk to bom AI116

So it seems all the hype about updated planes on this route is nothing but hype. Yes, these are the ex delta planes so supposedly better than the legacy AI 777s.
​​​​​​Having said that, flew on March 15th, no inflight entertainment for the back half of the plane. So over a hundred passengers had to suffer for over 14 hours with no fix available. Pathetic to say the least. When pushed for service recovery, the CSD who must be legacy AI mentality said we only guarantee a working plane everything else is not guaranteed. It was as if speaking to a child rather than a seasoned traveller. So IFE must not be part of a working plane.
oh well, thought we would give them a try, but not happening again after this round trip. Still a long way to go if maintaining is not a priority.

Thought I could give my biz to AI rather than gulf or the crappy European airlines , but doesn't seem to be the case yet.

​​​​​Have started a complaint, doubt anything will come out of it, since the only response was a boiler plate reply.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:54 pm

Yeah it's more than high time AI fix these issues. It's on temporarily leased "non-standard" planes but so what... they've had them for long enough.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
My 2 flights on the ex Delta planes have been good. Everything working & service was good. But in general there are too many complaints so they definitely have to get their act together.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:21 am

Cheap Airlines with cheap mentality. Even in the US, if you complain about nonworking IFE on a 14 hour flight, they will send an apology and throw some miles at you.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hilton diamond, Marriott plat for life , BA silver, Hertz prez circle, Etihad Gold
Update on AI reply for non working IFE

So after a few emails back n forth, we were offered the princely sum of Rs 4000 per passenger.
what a joke,
Least could have been an upgrade to PE on the way back.
I forgot to mention they couldn't dim the lights for the entire flight.
I'm just kicking myself for booking 2 more round trips on same sector in the next couple of months. Though this time it's in PE. Any great shakes.... Time will tell.

​​​​​
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by RAJWADIA; Mar 22, 2024 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I had a good flight on BLR-SFO. While the soft product still needs work the J cabin is very comfortable. They also dimmed the lights without an issue so I think it's limited to the Y/PE cabins.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Yeah it's more than high time AI fix these issues.
This as been AI for decades now--they're not changing anything even if the planes are newer.

The problem is that how far does this lack of repair extend? With the advent of safety issues in aviation as of late and the FAA at one point not having AI as 'category 1' leaves one's mind to wonder...
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by leonidas
Cheap Airlines with cheap mentality. Even in the US, if you complain about nonworking IFE on a 14 hour flight, they will send an apology and throw some miles at you.
Earlier this year I flew on AI to FRA and 2 days later, on LH from FRA to IAH. Whatever complaints I had with AI, were nothing compared to what I experienced in LH. I found the same with UA. So it is not unique to AI.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by hyho61
Whatever complaints I had with AI, were nothing compared to what I experienced in LH. I found the same with UA. So it is not unique to AI.
Good to hear? I know LH has definitely lost its polish in recent years. Everyone talk to that has flown on them has had horrible experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.