Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic transfer: HYD or MAA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International to Domestic transfer: HYD or MAA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by d3vski
Forgot to add that they are separate tickets. Any issues one can think of?
Well, only issue is getting your BP.
In the transit area, ask the 9W staff to get it for you from downstairs (they will need your passport).

Or, see if the 9W check-in agents in SIN can issue a BP for you. That would make it easier.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:35 pm

Should be OK

Since you arrive on SQ into MAA, immigration and customs need be cleared I guess at MAA. Around 2230, the worst it would take is 30min (sometimes the lines are long) for you to get through to baggage claim.
Before you get to baggage claim, there is a single X-ray screener for carry-on luggage. I have seen the queue to be a bit long at times (may be 10min. max)
After an indeterminate wait for checked-in bags, it takes all of 5min. to get to domestic section.
Happy travels!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by indeus
Since you arrive on SQ into MAA, immigration and customs need be cleared I guess at MAA. Around 2230, the worst it would take is 30min (sometimes the lines are long) for you to get through to baggage claim.
Before you get to baggage claim, there is a single X-ray screener for carry-on luggage. I have seen the queue to be a bit long at times (may be 10min. max)
After an indeterminate wait for checked-in bags, it takes all of 5min. to get to domestic section.
Happy travels!
He is flying international to international.... no need to clear customs/immigration.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snod08
He is flying international to international.... no need to clear customs/immigration.
On seperate tickets, he technically is supposed to clear immigration and customs. He might get lucky and get his bag interlined/his boarding pass directly at the arrival gate, but he should be prepared to deal with immigration/customs.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Separate tickets because lhr-sin-maa as using BD Diamond Club is 18750 miles + £600 OW in SQ J whereas LHR-SIN-CMB is 30000 miles + £600 OW in SQ J.

I have got a cheap 9W MAA-CMB OW and the timing is convinient in relation to my arrival in MAA from SIN.

On the return i have got CMB-SIN-LHR for 30000 miles + £400 OW in SQ J.

I would have preferred to do LHR-SIN-CMB-SIN-LHR but i do not have enough miles.

I only have around 50000 miles in BD and wanted to burn them before they get amalgamated with BA Executive Club (where i already have about 360000 miles and another 56000 AMEX MR points that can be transferred into it)

BTW, LHR-SIN-LHR is A380!^^^

Going back to the topic in hand.

This trip is only a 2 day visit to a friends wedding. I will only have 1 stroller which will have to be checked in because of liquids otherwise it would be carryon.

On arrival into MAA, I have got OCI (so no issues with visas) and at least at BOM, they have a separate line for OCI holders so maybe they got one in MAA (can anyone confirm?).

SQ priority lugguge should pop out first (fingers crossed), through customs (nothing to declare), onto check in, through security and onwards to the gate.

3 hours (hopefully) should cover it comfortably.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Hopefully this will come in Handy for someone:

Oman air have a J class fare of about £675 OW from CMB-MCT-LHR. Both sectors on A330 which have lie flat (GulfAirs old F seats).

I would have purchased it if i was not keen to get rid of my BD miles.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:30 pm

No OCI queue

Originally Posted by d3vski
On arrival into MAA, I have got OCI (so no issues with visas) and at least at BOM, they have a separate line for OCI holders so maybe they got one in MAA (can anyone confirm?).
There is no OCI queue at MAA immigration.
You may wish to keep to the right, towards Diplomat/ Crew lane. They may invite you over
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by indeus
There is no OCI queue at MAA immigration.
You may wish to keep to the right, towards Diplomat/ Crew lane. They may invite you over
Besides OCI, the fraudulently worded "Overseas Citizenship" is just a visa, so I am not sure why it would be expected to expedite the passage anyway? True citizenship makes a difference because your right to enter is not in question.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Besides OCI, the fraudulently worded "Overseas Citizenship" is just a visa, so I am not sure why it would be expected to expedite the passage anyway? True citizenship makes a difference because your right to enter is not in question.
Yes, it is a visa but it is more than your basic visa. It is the equivalent of permanent residency and many countries have separate lanes for their citizens and/or permanent residents.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Since there is no customs in Bhopal, OP would have to come out of the terminal anyway. I do reccommend the Novotel Breakfast if you like continental...
What is their breakfast like? Continental breakfast is not my idea of a good breakfast. I prefer a hit breakfast. it's two late for the OP, but I would consider train, Shatabdi in first class. Bombay connection gets him into Bhopal earlier than any of the other connections. MAA and HYD would get him into Bhopal marginally earlier than the train connection.
I know, Indian train is not what a jet setter would take. But in this case, it's not so bad.
As to extended allowance on domestic connections to an international flight, I think it will soon be a relic of the past as this is one place for the airlines to extract some revenue.

Airlines don't have to accept baggage allowance accorded on the international flight, when travelling domestically on a separate ticket. I am not sure if they were ever bound to honour the generous allowance, but did it any way. ten years ago, there were not many passengers transfering from international to domestic on separate tickets. The communication revolution brought about by sites such as this, and increased travel has made this a significant opportunity of revenue.

Today's travellers especially those who frequent such sites and travel more frequently are more far more savvy than I was in the 1970's when I was duped into dumping all my books in Delhi at the time of check-in when the neither I, nor the check-in agent knew that travel/from the U.S. allowed two bags at 70 pounds each. I had the books sent to me by air freight, which worked out to be a lot cheaper than extra baggage charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.