Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic transfer: HYD or MAA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International to Domestic transfer: HYD or MAA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
16 hours at BOM?

While I was mulling over these options, something intervened and I had to shift my travel by a couple days. Naturally, the availability of flights went haywire.

By Murphy's Law, the only one I can get confirmed at present on the new dates is the 16 hour connection in BOM.

My travel being more than a month away, I will try and do hope to get one of the other flights. However, if I can't, what to do with 16 hours in BOM, especially with luggage. Is there a left-luggage facility?

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by aktchi
While I was mulling over these options, something intervened and I had to shift my travel by a couple days. Naturally, the availability of flights went haywire.

By Murphy's Law, the only one I can get confirmed at present on the new dates is the 15 hour connection in BOM.

My travel being more than a month away, I will try and do hope to get one of the other flights. However, if I can't, what to do with 15 hours in BOM, especially with luggage. Is there a left-luggage facility?
yes, left luggage facility is ₹50/piece/day. Given the usual arrival times into BOM, there's probably not much to do, even with 15 hours
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
yes, left luggage facility is ₹50/piece/day. Given the usual arrival times into BOM, there's probably not much to do, even with 15 hours
Thanks. Perhaps one benefit of BOM not having been modernized yet. I know that modernization of DEL has meant no left luggage facility there.

Will definitely try to change to the 3 hr connection at BOM, or 7 hour at HYD.

However, if I have to do the 16 hour connection (just looked at it carefully, it is 16!)...

The EY flight arrives at 3AM; the 9W departs at 7PM. With luggage I would have felt paralyzed. If I can leave the luggage, at least I can move about, maybe go into town for 1/2 a day. I mean I can think of breakfast / brunch at the Taj Mahal hotel instead of the airport.

I know it would be a lot of running around, but then the alternative is a lot of sitting around. Tough choice.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The EY flight arrives at 3AM; the 9W departs at 7PM. With luggage I would have felt paralyzed. If I can leave the luggage, at least I can move about, maybe go into town for 1/2 a day. I mean I can think of breakfast / brunch at the Taj Mahal hotel instead of the airport.
keep in mind, mumbai traffic is crazy....if i was in your place i would look at a reasonably priced hotel room near the airport....get up late in the day, have lunch & leave for the airport....

Last edited by Keyser; Oct 24, 2011 at 2:53 am
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks but...Wow! Traffic so bad that a 16 hour connection, so a clean 12 hour free time, is not enough to take a peek into town?

I remember that in SIN they give you a free conducted bus tour of the city with long connections! (Just reminiscing. I know that none of our airports is SIN.)

Are Saturdays/Sundays as bad as other days?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sunday has the lightest traffic. I think you may have about 4 hours to spare to look at Mumbai City, allowing 4 hours for checkin, 2 hours to checkout, 8 to 10 hours in the hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thanks but...Wow! Traffic so bad that a 16 hour connection, so a clean 12 hour free time, is not enough to take a peek into town?

I remember that in SIN they give you a free conducted bus tour of the city with long connections! (Just reminiscing. I know that none of our airports is SIN.)

getting to town from the airport & back can take anywhere from a couple of hours to 5-6 hours depending on traffic, which is usually bad....personally, i would not want to spend so much time in a car just to go to town for a few hours....
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Blue
I have only transferred at BLR & BOM so cant discuss your other options. However all must be better than transferring at BOM as this can be much of a nightmare!

Not sure when this will be alleviated but from my last visit, there appears to be construction on a new domestic terminal taking place linking to the international terminal in an easier way.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
go with HYD - its a much smaller and more modern airport than MAA and connections are easy .. int / dom in the same building. MAA you have to walk about 5 minutes to get from INT to DOM.

But consider - if you do an ultralong haul to AUH and then another 4 hour flight to HYD, or anywhere else in India, you'll be dead tired and might want to catch a late afternoon flight to bhopal after a few hours of sleep. DEL would be a good idea for that (and more connections to bhopal) but the time of your visit means that DEL will face huge delays due to fog.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:53 am
Original Poster

OP here. Thought I'd thank you for your advice and update you on how it went.

I waited for the HYD connection to clear till the last day but according to AA, Jet Airways didn't release the seat. I took the BOM option: arrive 3AM, depart 5:50AM. Less than three hours for Intl to domestic transfer.

Almost everything went wrong, each by only a few apparently insignificant minutes, but the minutes added up.

Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi landed late, was parked far way, and the bus came a few minutes late.
Luggage was also delivered late.
Customs and Immigration were fast.
I went to the Terminal transfer coach as directed, but there was a very long line with no bus and they sent me to the Jet Airways counter at the other end of the terminal.
Jet staffers at that desk said it was late for them to check me in, but I could try the Terminal transfer bus at their end of the terminal which is often less crowded.
True enough, the line was shorter here and the bus was right there as well, but then the driver decided to take a mysterious 10 minutes break along the way.
Finally got to the Jet counter in the domestic terminal.
Bad news: While I was technically within time limit, they had stopped accepting pax who had luggage!

After I adjusted to this, things started to improve. They rebooked me for the evening. Luckily they also took my luggage off my hands, letting me have a day in Mumbai with just the carry-on, and that was a big help. (This was done in true Indian style. The desk person checked me in for the evening flight and gave the BP. She then advised me to hide the BP from the front door security, exit the airport saying I missed the flight, re-enter later with old printout and then board with the new BP). I had a nice day, a 1-hr taxi ride back to the airport (no major traffic issues), and a pleasant short flight.

Last edited by aktchi; Dec 23, 2011 at 3:18 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold

Today (Friday 3PM) it took 2.5 hours for one of my nieces to get from South Bombay to the domestic airport!! Mind blowing!
She got to the airport with 30 minutes to spare. But, made the flight...thanks to some helpful 9W folks.^
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:44 am

OP here. Thought I'd thank you for your advice and update you on how it went.

I waited for the HYD connection to clear till the last day but according to AA, Jet Airways didn't release the seat. I took the BOM option: arrive 3AM, depart 5:50AM. Less than three hours for Intl to domestic transfer.

Almost everything went wrong, each by only a few apparently insignificant minutes, but the minutes added up.

Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi landed late, was parked far way, and the bus came a few minutes late.
Luggage was also delivered late.
Customs and Immigration were fast.
I went to the Terminal transfer coach as directed, but there was a very long line with no bus and they sent me to the Jet Airways counter at the other end of the terminal.
Jet staffers at that desk said it was late for them to check me in, but I could try the Terminal transfer bus at their end of the terminal which is often less crowded.
True enough, the line was shorter here and the bus was right there as well, but then the driver decided to take a mysterious 10 minutes break along the way.
Finally got to the Jet counter in the domestic terminal.
Bad news: While I was technically within time limit, they had stopped accepting pax who had luggage!

After I adjusted to this, things started to improve. They rebooked me for the evening. Luckily they also took my luggage off my hands, letting me have a day in Mumbai with just the carry-on, and that was a big help. (This was done in true Indian style. The desk person checked me in for the evening flight and gave the BP. She then advised me to hide the BP from the front door security, exit the airport saying I missed the flight, re-enter later with old printout and then board with the new BP). I had a nice day, a 1-hr taxi ride back to the airport (no major traffic issues), and a pleasant short flight.
Glad it was good at the end. And it seems that your nice attitude definitely helped you get the right thing for you!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
On a similar note, i got a flight arriving into MAA at 22:30 (SQ form sin) and i am connecting on 9W to CMB at 01:30hrs. Only a single roller suitcase.

Should be ok?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by d3vski
On a similar note, i got a flight arriving into MAA at 22:30 (SQ form sin) and i am connecting on 9W to CMB at 01:30hrs. Only a single roller suitcase.

Should be ok?
Yes, you should be. THe gates will be almost next to each other.
You will stay in the transit area...which has like nothing. (toilets available). See if you can request 9W staff to let you in to the lounge....which means you have to re-clear security...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by snod08
Yes, you should be. THe gates will be almost next to each other.
You will stay in the transit area...which has like nothing. (toilets available). See if you can request 9W staff to let you in to the lounge....which means you have to re-clear security...
Forgot to add that they are separate tickets. Any issues one can think of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.