Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Most transatlantic IB flights seem to be gone for the next six+ months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.

The daily MAD-ORD flight has disappeared and only one MAD-JFK flight seems to be operating on alternate days.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I noticed it too. Based on Spain's covid-19 infection rates, that's probably for the better...
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
I noticed it too. Based on Spain's covid-19 infection rates, that's probably for the better...
lmao... compared to American infection rates?

With Europeans unable to enter the US and Americans unable to enter Spain, there's really no reason to fly daily flights. IB simply delayed formally cancelling flights so as to not trigger the obligation to refund passengers.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Spain is now proportionally way worse than the US, and both are still major hotspots...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32653747-post3703.html
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Spain is now proportionally way worse than the US, and both are still major hotspots...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32653747-post3703.html
the world is full of hot spots. Out risk is the same regardless of georgraphy and culture.

avoid crowds. Wear a mask.

Business people to Spain with a Covid test prior or upon arrival.

whether you are in your home town or Madrid. The risk is the same.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
it's normal. the winter season will be completely NIL. No one will be travelling. No business travel. No leisure travel. This is true for short haul. But for long haul, it's extremely true.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Executive Club
The Latin American longhaul services seem to be continuing as before, it's just the US services which seem to be being pruned at this point.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
LATAM has been pruned as well. I've had a look into EZE and SCL, and 3-4 weekly frequencies.

EZE used to be 2 daily. SCL 10x weekly.

It's normal. There's no long haul demand. All airlines will cut frequencies and some routes completely. Some airlines won't survive.
more4less and James91 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
It would be interesting to find out what will happen to those award trips booked with the 50%-off Avios deal, specifically whether they can be rebooked on AA/BA (I bet they cannot) or possibly on IB at a later date.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:59 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by London Dude
It would be interesting to find out what will happen to those award trips booked with the 50%-off Avios deal, specifically whether they can be rebooked on AA/BA (I bet they cannot) or possibly on IB at a later date.
I had an award trip flight time changed and was given a screen to choose a new date - the date I chose didn't have Avios availability but i was allowed to change. This was all on IB metal. My trip wasn't with the 50% reduction, but I suggest that if a flight booked with 50% Avios promotion is cancelled you will probably be able to rebook to any date irrespective of Avios availability and won't be asked to pay extra Avios.

My question is if you decide to change a flight booked with the 50% discount, whether you'll be asked to hand over extra Avios to make this change. Will be interesting to see what happens - I need to do this soon so will report back.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: M&M FTL, 1WRLD SAPPHIRE, AZ CORP
I booked a redemption TATL flight in J with the 50%-off Avios deal. Trip scheduled for February next year.
Both my outbound and inbound flights are now gone (both were direct IB operated flights). They appear to have slashed the MAD-JFK Saturday flights. However my reservation is still displayed as confirmed.
I understand that there is still plenty of time between now and my scheduled departure, but I still haven't heard from Iberia. Shouldn't they notify me that my flights have been cancelled and let me know what my options are from there?
Anyone familiar with the process?
Should I be proactive and call them ? despite not having received any offical notice from them concerning the flights cancellation.

Thanks in advance for the insight.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I think they're sending out a few email notifications.

They've changed my 50% off flight to Buenos Aires in late February. It'll now arrive a whole 10 minutes earlier. Despite this relatively minor change, I do now have the option online to change my flight for any date up until 30 June 2021.

Whether or not they'd charge the additional Avios (probably?) I have no idea.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
It is going to be interesting to see as MAD-ORD service by the looks of it has been almost completely zeroed out till April. With regular service returning summer 2021. Someone mentioned in the treat that they were offered to move stuff up to 30 of June 2021. For some of these route if you have to stick to IB it might leave a very small window to rebook into.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:08 pm

bos-mad still showing
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
The daily MAD-ORD flight has disappeared and only one MAD-JFK flight seems to be operating on alternate days.
May I ask how you found this out. i am not doubting you but curious if you are using a particular website or are you manually checking the schedules.

ORD is my home airport and I really need the MAD-ORD route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.