Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Most transatlantic IB flights seem to be gone for the next six+ months

Most transatlantic IB flights seem to be gone for the next six+ months

Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by feysul
May I ask how you found this out. i am not doubting you but curious if you are using a particular website or are you manually checking the schedules.

ORD is my home airport and I really need the MAD-ORD route
So you can see broad strokes from looking at Google flights. It shows very little availability in economy over the next 8 months with business not showing up till next April. Going from that you can use if you Expert flyer to see how many seats they are selling. On those days that economy is sold they are basically selling 1 seat in multiple buckets most likely depending on flexibility.
All of this does not mean that the flights won't operate but zeroed out flights usually get cancelled close to departure as they don't sell enough seats. They don't sell enough seats as they don't believe that they will be able to operate the flight in the first place and don't want to deal with angry customers and reroutings.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by feysul
May I ask how you found this out. i am not doubting you but curious if you are using a particular website or are you manually checking the schedules.

ORD is my home airport and I really need the MAD-ORD route
Sure.. I needed to book J award flights to ORD and I'd been checking availability on a daily basis. Suddenly from one day to the next all award availability disappeared in all classes. I double-checked on google flights and it became clear that all daily MAD-ORD flights had been cancelled until April. A quick search also showed that most JFK and MIA flights were gone. I think they used to be twice daily and daily respectively, and now they're operating just one flight 3-4 times a week on each route.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: M&M FTL, 1WRLD SAPPHIRE, AZ CORP
Originally Posted by London Dude
Sure.. I needed to book J award flights to ORD and I'd been checking availability on a daily basis. Suddenly from one day to the next all award availability disappeared in all classes. I double-checked on google flights and it became clear that all daily MAD-ORD flights had been cancelled until April. A quick search also showed that most JFK and MIA flights were gone. I think they used to be twice daily and daily respectively, and now they're operating just one flight 3-4 times a week on each route.
I booked a J award on one of these flights, between JFK and MIA. I wonder why IB still haven't made the cancellations official, the flights have been axed for at least a week now, if not even more.
I have not been notified of any changes yet, in fact, my ticket is still shown as "confirmed".
I hope they do not intend to "cancel" my flight at the very last moment.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
So you can see broad strokes from looking at Google flights. It shows very little availability in economy over the next 8 months with business not showing up till next April. Going from that you can use if you Expert flyer to see how many seats they are selling. On those days that economy is sold they are basically selling 1 seat in multiple buckets most likely depending on flexibility.
All of this does not mean that the flights won't operate but zeroed out flights usually get cancelled close to departure as they don't sell enough seats. They don't sell enough seats as they don't believe that they will be able to operate the flight in the first place and don't want to deal with angry customers and reroutings.
If you do a google flights search eg for MAD-ORD in any class with "oneworld" and "non-stop only" as parameters you can see immediately that there's no availability on any day until 30 March because no prices appear in the calendar month pop-downs as you navigate through the calendar. Normally the dates are populated very quickly with the lowest available price for each day of the month. No price means either sold-out on that day or no non-stop flight is operating. By scrolling sideways through the calendar it's immediately clear that the first MAD-ORD flight will be on 30 March..
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcaitsith
I booked a J award on one of these flights, between JFK and MIA. I wonder why IB still haven't made the cancellations official, the flights have been axed for at least a week now, if not even more.
I have not been notified of any changes yet, in fact, my ticket is still shown as "confirmed".
If I were you I'd be proactive and contact them asap for alternatives. At the very least you'll learn what your options are. ahead of time.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing your reserved seat on either flight? Normally at least in J you can do it at any time and as often as you want up to 24 hrs before the flight. I wonder what happens if you access your booking and try doing that.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theplayer
bos-mad still showing
Lots of BOS-MAD zero'ed out. Does anyone here know how willing they have been to rebook on BA/AA/AY (or other airlines, but that'd be more surprising) so far, especially for award tickets?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Poster

bos-mad still showing
MAD-BOS has been cancelled until 28 March, when it starts operating three times a week until May.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

Has anyone who holds a ticket on one of these zero'ed out flights contacted IB for rerouting/rebooking?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Has anyone who holds a ticket on one of these zero'ed out flights contacted IB for rerouting/rebooking?
Until they actually cancel the flight you they won't give anything past confidence policies that apply to all tickets. When they cancel the flight they your rebooking window becomes much bigger.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
Until they actually cancel the flight you they won't give anything past confidence policies that apply to all tickets. When they cancel the flight they your rebooking window becomes much bigger.
That was my expectation, but I was wondering if they were a little more lenient knowing that they were going to cancel. I have one trip planned for which I have little flexibility, so I want to make sure I can get rebooked on BA for my date of travel. Anyway, I'll be patient
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jcaitsith
You mean JFK - MAD? IB doesn't fly JFK - MIA.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by London Dude
MAD-BOS has been cancelled until 28 March, when it starts operating three times a week until May.
I'm still able to book on multiple days in Feb, so apparently not cancelled.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 8:43 pm

Therr is some availability here or there but with most of these routes the availability is 1 or 2 seats pee flight. So it is bookable enough to say that it isn't cancelled now but we are expecting a major reduction in frequency
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Yes strangely those Feb flights seem to have just one Y seat available each. no PE no J. It doesn't make much sense.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
So, I think I may have a similar problem.

I am booked in J one way LHR-MAD-MVD at the end of March (using Avios). I have onward travel plans from Montevideo.

The MAD-MVD leg IB6011 appears to have been cancelled as it’s not showing on Google Flights or Expert Finder. I haven’t heard anything from IB about this. The IB website and Checkmytrip all indicate that the booking is still going ahead as made, including seat reservations.

Assuming IB6011 is indeed cancelled what are my options? As I’m starting my outboard in LON the next most appealing set of flights/metal is on AA LHR-MIA and then AA MIA-MVD.

There’s a seven hour + connection time in MIA but I’d rather do that than the seeming alternative routes of MIA-MVD via PCY, LIM or BOG, on a mix of airlines.

Can I / should I contact IB and ask them to rebook me onto my preferred route now, or wait until closer to departure?

If I leave it closer to date my fears is that I will be presented with a fait accompli / take it or leave it situation and find that the airline has rebooked me onto one of the less appealing routes … I have nothing against those transit points in particular - in fact I would love to visit Colombia, just not on this particular trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.