Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Most transatlantic IB flights seem to be gone for the next six+ months

Most transatlantic IB flights seem to be gone for the next six+ months

Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonKiwi
So, I think I may have a similar problem.

I am booked in J one way LHR-MAD-MVD at the end of March (using Avios). I have onward travel plans from Montevideo.

The MAD-MVD leg IB6011 appears to have been cancelled as its not showing on Google Flights or Expert Finder. I havent heard anything from IB about this. The IB website and Checkmytrip all indicate that the booking is still going ahead as made, including seat reservations.

Assuming IB6011 is indeed cancelled what are my options? As Im starting my outboard in LON the next most appealing set of flights/metal is on AA LHR-MIA and then AA MIA-MVD.

Theres a seven hour + connection time in MIA but Id rather do that than the seeming alternative routes of MIA-MVD via PCY, LIM or BOG, on a mix of airlines.

Can I / should I contact IB and ask them to rebook me onto my preferred route now, or wait until closer to departure?

If I leave it closer to date my fears is that I will be presented with a fait accompli / take it or leave it situation and find that the airline has rebooked me onto one of the less appealing routes I have nothing against those transit points in particular - in fact I would love to visit Colombia, just not on this particular trip!
It is a situation that nobody likes but the flight is still operational. As nobody knows what the restrictions will be next year the airline is trying to not sell seat on the flight but still keep it on schedule so if restrictions lift and flight are possible there isn't a lot of work to be done to get everything filed again.
The flight currently are not officially cancelled and you will get that answer. As long as that is the case, you will be offered to cancel and pay 25 euro, wait till it is cancelled of move the flight up till middle of next year (I am currently forgetting the specific date).
When it comes to reroutings it could be a mess. USA does not offer airside transfer so you would have to go into the USA to make the transfer if nothing changes that could be a real mess and you might just be denied entry and stuck there. Other SA stopover do offer some form of sterile transit. Without a formal cancellation current conversation are trivial at best. Also we don't know what AA schedule would look like as the change things closer to departure.
I would say that you should just wait till it gets cancelled. If you absolutely don't want to transit in SA then look at a refund and buy something else. The odds are that most of the offers will be vis SA. They won't rebook you on anything you don't agree with but they can't offer every routing.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: M&M FTL, 1WRLD SAPPHIRE, AZ CORP
Originally Posted by fly747first
You mean JFK - MAD? IB doesn't fly JFK - MIA.
yes. I meant JFK - MAD, and not MIA. Typo, my bad.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
It looks like IB is cancelling those zeroed-out flights on a rolling basis exactly one month in advance of the departure date.

So every day IB deletes from the official schedule all those flights due to depart 30 days forward. One can verify this by checking out IB's online schedule at https://www.iberia.com/web/timeTableSearch.do.

This means that one's flight will not be officially cancelled until T-30. Good luck..

Last edited by London Dude; Sep 23, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
@NextWhiteDeath - thank you for the reply, it's very helpful and informative. I tend to agree with you - re-routing through another SA airport en route to MVD is probably much to be preferred than US Immigration & security... !
@London Dude - that's another really useful piece of information -I will bide my time and just try to be patient. I know the odds are probably pretty much against it happening, but as you may be able to tell, I am very excited about the prospect of this trip!
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by LondonKiwi
So, I think I may have a similar problem.

I am booked in J one way LHR-MAD-MVD at the end of March (using Avios). I have onward travel plans from Montevideo.

The MAD-MVD leg IB6011 appears to have been cancelled as its not showing on Google Flights or Expert Finder. I havent heard anything from IB about this. The IB website and Checkmytrip all indicate that the booking is still going ahead as made, including seat reservations.

Assuming IB6011 is indeed cancelled what are my options? As Im starting my outboard in LON the next most appealing set of flights/metal is on AA LHR-MIA and then AA MIA-MVD.

Theres a seven hour + connection time in MIA but Id rather do that than the seeming alternative routes of MIA-MVD via PCY, LIM or BOG, on a mix of airlines.

Can I / should I contact IB and ask them to rebook me onto my preferred route now, or wait until closer to departure?

If I leave it closer to date my fears is that I will be presented with a fait accompli / take it or leave it situation and find that the airline has rebooked me onto one of the less appealing routes I have nothing against those transit points in particular - in fact I would love to visit Colombia, just not on this particular trip!
I was booked on IB JFK MAD MIL. They cancelled JFK MAD a month before, moved it back a day, rebooked me. Then cancelled again. I asked to be rebooked on BA, they first refused, saying they could book me on the next IB metal two days later or offer voucher. After insisting and requesting a supervisor, the agent rebooked onto BA. To rebook on AA was impossible.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by dh01
I was booked on IB JFK MAD MIL. They cancelled JFK MAD a month before, moved it back a day, rebooked me. Then cancelled again. I asked to be rebooked on BA, they first refused, saying they could book me on the next IB metal two days later or offer voucher. After insisting and requesting a supervisor, the agent rebooked onto BA. To rebook on AA was impossible.
That ties in with the observation I made in my last post.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Looks like a lot of cancellations were finally processed.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club
The Santo Domingo flights appear to be oversold at the moment, a friend of mine came on Sunday and they were 8 pax oversold and were bumping onto the next day service. I flew on Monday and I think it was pretty full. So clearly they are still filling some planes.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
My MAD-SDQ-MAD flights were pretty full, too. Late September. A few empty seats, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.