Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid Iberia like the plague

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPL
Avoid Iberia like the plague

Not sure if this is the correct section. If not, please move to the appropriate one.
Avoid flying Iberia like the plague, specially premium fares. JFK to MAD yesterday on Business. No service (you had to literally beg for a bottle of water), no food (they gave us a mushy sandwich and an orange). You cannot even use the lavatories in the front cabin (I assume they do it to save on cleaning), you have to go all the way to the back of the plane (does not seem the best anti-COVID strategy).
In summary, the ONLY thing you get right now on a Business Class ticket with Iberia is a lie-flat seat. All other perks have been eliminated.
You'd be a fool to give them money to fly with them. Luckily, I didn't, booked using miles. And thank god my return flight is with AA.
Abducted Alien likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Too many airlines using this as an excuse to 'enhance' their service. That sounds like a pretty rough flight! I have never flown Iberia and I will remember not to do so.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:35 am

They probably keep the forward lavatories for the crew.
nk15, BA6501, roberto99 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:56 am
Suspended

Yeah, IB customer service is class-leading. NOT. Called them three times the other day to change a ticket. They hung up on me three times in a row. And I thought I was friendly and reasonable.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Spainontheair
Not sure if this is the correct section. If not, please move to the appropriate one.
Avoid flying Iberia like the plague, specially premium fares. JFK to MAD yesterday on Business. No service (you had to literally beg for a bottle of water), no food (they gave us a mushy sandwich and an orange). You cannot even use the lavatories in the front cabin (I assume they do it to save on cleaning), you have to go all the way to the back of the plane (does not seem the best anti-COVID strategy).
In summary, the ONLY thing you get right now on a Business Class ticket with Iberia is a lie-flat seat. All other perks have been eliminated.
You'd be a fool to give them money to fly with them. Luckily, I didn't, booked using miles. And thank god my return flight is with AA.
Well, considering Europe is not taking US Tourists, do not worry, not planning on flying them until normal service is reestablished (if that means a vaccine for COVID-19 arrives). Being European and living in the US (my SO is not), I guess I will be allowed to do the route you travelled without my SO, and not even if allowed I would dare do it, unless it was an emergency with my family. If it was an emergency, I would suck it up and fly with only water and whatever they provide to make it through to Europe to see them.

It is a new world and not the best time for anyone to be planning an unforgettable vacation with miles/points/avios.

I am sticking to traveling domestic, as I am enjoying only getting water and snacks flying WN all over the USA (except for the North East Corridor) with amazing fares while visiting national parks, beaches, deserts (Las Vegas) and lakes.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hmmm... should I spend 34k-50k Avios each way for IB J or should I spend 100,000+ AA or UA miles and get equally bad service? I very much hope that more and more people say "never again" to IB J TATL...
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
OMNI: "Avoid like the plague" is not the phrase to use anymore. In case you haven't noticed, Americans don't seem to want to do that either!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: Avios
I have to agree with you,this is not satisfactory for a Business class ticket.It does not matter if you paid with miles or cash. A decent hot meal should be provided along with a proper drinks service. I know some here defend Iberia at all costs but this is not acceptable.
chilglish and roberto99 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
OMNI: "Avoid like the plague" is not the phrase to use anymore. In case you haven't noticed, Americans don't seem to want to do that either!
When people refer to ‘the Plague’ they’re usually referring to the Black one. Luckily there has not been a resurgence of this. That would be a much more real pandemic situation.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by cmd320
When people refer to ‘the Plague’ they’re usually referring to the Black one. Luckily there has not been a resurgence of this. That would be a much more real pandemic situation.
I'm sorry to break this for you but.... Suspected case of bubonic plague in China's Inner Mongolia. I wonder if the asteroid will hit us in August or September.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
I'm sorry to break this for you but.... Suspected case of bubonic plague in China's Inner Mongolia. I wonder if the asteroid will hit us in August or September.
The Bubonic Plague (or "Human Plague") has NEVER gone away.... there are cases around the world every year..and always have been. Even in the USA (in the Four Corners region, usually carried by Prairie Dogs) A few people get it each year via that route...usually.. It is easily treated with antibiotics, and I doubt any medical authorities see it as any real Pandemic threat, partly due to the ease of treatment and mainly due to the far better hygiene now than in the 1300's... A vaccine exists too... We were vaccinated against it back in 1990 on our way to the Persian Gulf..... Let's not borrow trouble.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
It was a joke...
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Looks like their new mottos are "everybody for themselves" and "let's get this over with"...
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Executive Club
I have also heard that the "new normal" for business class passengers is a bag with a small sandwich, a packet of biscuits, a yoghurt and sometimes a small orange. And a bottle of water to drink.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:29 pm

I don't fly business on Iberia for the food...couldn't care less. I usually pack a sandwich. Why do people need to be so coddled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.