Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB90k promo - where are YOU going :) ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: Avios
Taylor Bay is fantastic,I have friends out in Silly Creek and there is a pathway straight to Taylor Bay (3 mins walk)
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question for anyone who is considering moving their Iberia avios to British Airways (or has already done so) since that is now allowed....

I currently have: 83,000 avios in my personal BA account, 152,000 avios in my household BA account.
Then, I have 102,000 avios in my Iberia account (90,000 promotional, 12,000 previously existing)

I want to redeem some of my promotional avios for a JFK-MIA roundtrip business class flight. In Iberia's chart, that would be 46,000 avios + $20.20 taxes and fees. In BA's chart, that would be 30,000 avios + $11.20 taxes and fees. BA also has more generous cancellation terms. Thus, I would much prefer to redeem through BA.

However, if I use "combine my avios" to move 30,000 miles from Iberia to BA, how do I know that the system is pulling from my promotional avios instead of my previously existing balance (in either account)? And how do I ensure this won't cause any "negative balance" impact on my Iberia account that would eliminate my ability to use the remaining 60,000 avios (well, 72,000 avios technically) that would still remain in my Iberia account?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm a novice at this so I appreciate your collective expertise
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by am13
Question for anyone who is considering moving their Iberia avios to British Airways (or has already done so) since that is now allowed....

I currently have: 83,000 avios in my personal BA account, 152,000 avios in my household BA account.
Then, I have 102,000 avios in my Iberia account (90,000 promotional, 12,000 previously existing)

I want to redeem some of my promotional avios for a JFK-MIA roundtrip business class flight. In Iberia's chart, that would be 46,000 avios + $20.20 taxes and fees. In BA's chart, that would be 30,000 avios + $11.20 taxes and fees. BA also has more generous cancellation terms. Thus, I would much prefer to redeem through BA.

However, if I use "combine my avios" to move 30,000 miles from Iberia to BA, how do I know that the system is pulling from my promotional avios instead of my previously existing balance (in either account)? And how do I ensure this won't cause any "negative balance" impact on my Iberia account that would eliminate my ability to use the remaining 60,000 avios (well, 72,000 avios technically) that would still remain in my Iberia account?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm a novice at this so I appreciate your collective expertise
You cannot transfer IB-BA or vice versa if you have an open household account.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:31 pm
fow

Programs: TK*G
Finnair award ticket using Avios

I want to book award space on Finnair with IB Avios. The iberia plus website does not show any flights with Finnair, favoring only IAG availability. Is there a way to spend IB Avios for AY metal? I called IB service desk but they could not help me out, only saying that I need to book such flights myself on Finnair website (nonsense). Could someone come up with an advice?
Many thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
You cannot transfer IB-BA or vice versa if you have an open household account.
I think the question revolves more around how do Iberia distinguish between you spending the promotional avios rather than the non promotional avios which are in the same account. I have the same issue with 25,000 avios already in my account before I received 90,000 from the promotion.

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid although some have suggested it works on a first in first out basis which would mean your original pot of avios unfortunately would be reduced first. I can't see that happening myself but only Iberia could give you an answer. Email is the way to go here I think so you get something back from them in writing, just in case things don't go to plan come 1st December.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fow
I want to book award space on Finnair with IB Avios. The iberia plus website does not show any flights with Finnair, favoring only IAG availability. Is there a way to spend IB Avios for AY metal? I called IB service desk but they could not help me out, only saying that I need to book such flights myself on Finnair website (nonsense). Could someone come up with an advice?
Many thanks!
I am able to find AY flights on Iberia (e.g. HEL-SVO 5 September out, 12 September back, both Blue and Business).
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lizie
I think the question revolves more around how do Iberia distinguish between you spending the promotional avios rather than the non promotional avios which are in the same account. I have the same issue with 25,000 avios already in my account before I received 90,000 from the promotion.
I don't have a clue either, but my uninformed speculation would be that if you received 90k Avios in this promotion, they would want to see 90k Avios redeemed within IB+ before the December deadline.
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't have a clue either, but my uninformed speculation would be that if you received 90k Avios in this promotion, they would want to see 90k Avios redeemed within IB+ before the December deadline.
Oh yes that sounds like a much simpler solution. Thanks corporate.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:40 pm

We booked 2 tickets MIA-MAD-MLN, MIA-MAD in biz... 47,000 Avios + $62.50 each.
Citi 4th night free at the Parador in MLN, net $304 / 4 nights.
(That's a new Century Club tick on my wife's list)

And then we paid for MLN-MAD-VCE, $122 each in coach.
Booked 3 free nights at the Molino Stucky.

Coming back on paid tickets to renew Aegean Gold.
SPU-CPH-LIS-MIA. SPU-CPH in coach, CPH-LIS-MIA in biz.
$816 each, including a 4 night stopover in Lisbon.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Thinking of using mine to try QF Q Suites. Anyone has looked into that as well? Any suggestions with EU departure?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bruno-s
Thinking of using mine to try QF Q Suites. Anyone has looked into that as well? Any suggestions with EU departure?
Fly from Frankfurt, it's much cheaper. Will save you 15k avios.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: US,PC
Can you book and cancel award tickets using IB promotion without losing them

I just read post above and assume it can be done but just want to make sure, I am talking about booking and canceling IB metal award tickets. As long as these activities are done before Dec 1.

Thank you
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
My 90 k Avios posted Aug 8. I can’t find any business award space in April or a May from JFK TO mAD. The Iberia web site sucks, and it wants me to input a captcha each time I search ( and find nothing.). I wish I didn’t participate in the promo. It’s been more effort than it’s worth.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Roundtrip to/from MAD (J) on IB + positioning flight to/from PIT (Y on AA). PIT is positioning and return for a separate trip.

Probably the best use of $500+ ($300+ on paid tickets plus $200 on award tickets).

And, I am going to fly those 10 intra-Spain flights. They'd fit within my Madrid trip.

Originally Posted by rjburns
My 90 k Avios posted Aug 8. I can’t find any business award space in April or a May from JFK TO mAD. The Iberia web site sucks, and it wants me to input a captcha each time I search ( and find nothing.). I wish I didn’t participate in the promo. It’s been more effort than it’s worth.
Peak periods. Expand your search parameter. Note also additional Avios during peak periods (50K instead of 34K on Iberia during peak periods from NYC).

If you are not able to use, happy to take them off your hands
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold
Seriously thinking about Mexico after hurricane season next year so obviously not booked yet. My question is this, when searching for award availability for 2 in J the test runs I have done so far come up with nothing but searching for one gives occasional availability. When the time comes am I best by transferring my wife's Avios to my account so I have the right number for 2 x J rather than taking a risk on 1 seat and then going straight back in and find I can't get another one. Is this a phone call job to customer service. Any advice or experience comments welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.