FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IB90k promo - where are YOU going :) ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:48 am
am13

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question for anyone who is considering moving their Iberia avios to British Airways (or has already done so) since that is now allowed....

I currently have: 83,000 avios in my personal BA account, 152,000 avios in my household BA account.
Then, I have 102,000 avios in my Iberia account (90,000 promotional, 12,000 previously existing)

I want to redeem some of my promotional avios for a JFK-MIA roundtrip business class flight. In Iberia's chart, that would be 46,000 avios + $20.20 taxes and fees. In BA's chart, that would be 30,000 avios + $11.20 taxes and fees. BA also has more generous cancellation terms. Thus, I would much prefer to redeem through BA.

However, if I use "combine my avios" to move 30,000 miles from Iberia to BA, how do I know that the system is pulling from my promotional avios instead of my previously existing balance (in either account)? And how do I ensure this won't cause any "negative balance" impact on my Iberia account that would eliminate my ability to use the remaining 60,000 avios (well, 72,000 avios technically) that would still remain in my Iberia account?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm a novice at this so I appreciate your collective expertise