Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 9:54 pm

Has anyone used AsiaTravel.com as a competing site for BRG?

My recent claim was rejected on grounds that the site requires a membership. However, it doesn't appear to require one in reality.
Old May 7, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by eriond
However, it doesn't appear to require one in reality.
Lol, most of the non-approved sites do not require any real "membership" per se. Just because you have to register your email it does not make it a club. Its just a made-up reason from Hyatt, in order to be able to deny as many claims as possible.
Old May 7, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Welp, I found a potential BRG claim, but I'm hesitant to book it because it's a non-refundable rate.

Thanks alot FT, your stories have scared me off!
Old May 7, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Welp, I found a potential BRG claim, but I'm hesitant to book it because it's a non-refundable rate.

Thanks alot FT, your stories have scared me off!
Submit the claim, you don't have to book the room in order to submit a BRG. If (IF the BRG is approved then you will get an e-mail stating to call haytt so they can book the room for you.

Nothing to lose except the time to submit a claim that will likely not get approved.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by heakja
Lol, most of the non-approved sites do not require any real "membership" per se. Just because you have to register your email it does not make it a club. Its just a made-up reason from Hyatt, in order to be able to deny as many claims as possible.
It may not be a made-up reason. This condition exist in pretty much any BRG program.

Membership-sites are usually able to offer consolidator rates and other discounted rates without breaking any contract with the chain. That's why they're excluded - because the hotel can not match a price from a website that can sell at any price. And maybe the industry definition of a memberships-site is some thing like 'any site can require registering an account in order to complete a booking'. So even though we're able to see the rates without log-in to an existing account - it can still be considered a membership-site by the industry.

That's mostly speculation... I'm not working in this industry.

Anyway, I don't expect Hyatt to match ANY price out there. And I have a very positive experience with Hyatt's BRG program so far (dozens of claims).
Old May 7, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
It may not be a made-up reason. This condition exist in pretty much any BRG program.

Membership-sites are usually able to offer consolidator rates and other discounted rates without breaking any contract with the chain. That's why they're excluded - because the hotel can not match a price from a website that can sell at any price. And maybe the industry definition of a memberships-site is some thing like 'any site can require registering an account in order to complete a booking'. So even though we're able to see the rates without log-in to an existing account - it can still be considered a membership-site by the industry.

That's mostly speculation... I'm not working in this industry.

Anyway, I don't expect Hyatt to match ANY price out there. And I have a very positive experience with Hyatt's BRG program so far (dozens of claims).
Yes it is standard condition for BRG programs. However, sites that are not real membership sites, such as entering your e-mail to registered, are not viewed as membership sites by other BRG programs such as SPG.

It has been documented that a site SPG accepted for a BRG has been rejected by Hyatt because it was 'membership'.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Yes it is standard condition for BRG programs. However, sites that are not real membership sites, such as entering your e-mail to registered, are not viewed as membership sites by other BRG programs such as SPG.

It has been documented that a site SPG accepted for a BRG has been rejected by Hyatt because it was 'membership'.
Exactly. I have 50+ BRG approvals with SPG since I became platinum in 2011, but when I recently turned to Hyatt and tried several of the same competing sites for their BRG program, I have gotten "no" in all kind of varieties. Onhotels, galahotels, hotelreservierung.de, easytobook to mention a few.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2

Originally Posted by heakja
Exactly. I have 50+ BRG approvals with SPG since I became platinum in 2011, but when I recently turned to Hyatt and tried several of the same competing sites for their BRG program, I have gotten "no" in all kind of varieties. Onhotels, galahotels, hotelreservierung.de, easytobook to mention a few.
I have no personal experience with SPG, but I do know it's program is considered by many here to be the best in the industry. I can see why.

But the best is usually not the standard. Maybe SPG goes above and beyond with their program, which is great, but Hyatt is still in terms with what common in the market. So maybe SPG's program is better than Hyatt's, but, is doesn't mean Hyatt's program is sub-standard in any way. I don't know of any other BRG program that would match virtually any website with lower rates.

On a personal note, if it was up to me I would've add the option to simply match a lower price (without further discount) in cases where the lower price is publicly available but not all the BRG terms are met. Sounds fair to me.

What do you guys think?
Old May 7, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I have no personal experience with SPG, but I do know it's program is considered by many here to be the best in the industry. I can see why.

But the best is usually not the standard. Maybe SPG goes above and beyond with their program, which is great, but Hyatt is still in terms with what common in the market. So maybe SPG's program is better than Hyatt's, but, is doesn't mean Hyatt's program is sub-standard in any way.
It is sub-standard in the inconsistent way agents refuse claims for arbitrary reasons.

If you have no personal experience with, e.g., SPG, what DO you have personal experience with?

I don't know of any other BRG program that would match virtually any website with lower rates.

On a personal note, if it was up to me I would've add the option to simply match a lower price (without further discount) in cases where the lower price is publicly available but not all the BRG terms are met. Sounds fair to me.

What do you guys think?
I think your speculation is irrelevant and your idea is bad.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

That's purely bogus. Many sites want an email address so they can send advertising, which is where a lot of their profit comes from. That's very different from a site that charges for a membership and provides benefits to people who pay.

It makes sense to exclude the latter sites, because that lets a hotel sell marginal rooms at a lower rate to a few people.

Excluding sites that automatically create a "membership" because you gave them an email address is bogus. One of these years, some bored AG looking for attention is going to investigate "false advertising" claims on some of these best rate "guarantees".
Old May 7, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
That's purely bogus. Many sites want an email address so they can send advertising, which is where a lot of their profit comes from. That's very different from a site that charges for a membership and provides benefits to people who pay.

It makes sense to exclude the latter sites, because that lets a hotel sell marginal rooms at a lower rate to a few people.

Excluding sites that automatically create a "membership" because you gave them an email address is bogus. One of these years, some bored AG looking for attention is going to investigate "false advertising" claims on some of these best rate "guarantees".
Agree.
When you are told a non valid site due to the site creating a membership when you provide an email address (which is only for email marketing or confirmation purposes) sure leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Hyatt needs to change this and be consistent in their application of the rule.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Football Fan
If you have no personal experience with, e.g., SPG, what DO you have personal experience with?
IHG, Hilton, Carlson, Best Western, Swissotel, Marriott, Accor...

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I think your speculation is irrelevant and your idea is bad.
Please, do tell me if you know of another BRG program that is just as generous as SPG's program. BTW, it's worth mentioning that with SPG and Hyatt you do now have to book before filing a claim... and that's a huge advantage for them.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sethb

I generally agree with you. I was not trying to say that what they're doing now is the right thing... I was only trying so debate a possible reasoning for their policy to exclude these sites.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:24 am

BTW, it's worth mentioning that with SPG and Hyatt you do now have to book before filing a claim... and that's a huge advantage for them.
Not sure if you had a typo but you DO NOT have to book before you file a claim for either SPG or Hyatt. If this was the case Hyatt would lose 100% of my business because their BRG is so difficult compared to SPG.

My own experience for SPG out of about 50-60 nights each year only 10 of those are not BRG's. This includes times I just can't find a lower rate to BRG against. I probably have no more than 5 get rejected.

On the other hand BRG that I would normally submit if it was a SPG hotel I don't attempt with Hyatt because it is not 100% solid BRG. Like: not same bed type (deluxe king but hyatt.com only has deluxe twin) and refundable versus non refundable rate. I have no problems getting these BRG's approved by SPG.

Don't get me started on the games I have seen with Hyatt BRG. I had a bad experience with Hyatt Da Nang trying to get a BRG. I would see lower rate with same room type rate type etc and take the screen shot to submit the BRG. The BRG would get denied because the room was not available on hyatt.com. I would check and sure enough the room was not available. I then check hyatt.com 2-3 days later and the room is now available and the lower rate is still showing on Kayak.com. I submit the BRG and once again denied hyatt.com does not have the room type available. This went on for about 2 weeks like a cat and mouse game. I finally book a refundable rate on hyatt and got the BRG approved (even though again the next day the room type disappeared again from hyatt.com).

Yes I got the BRG approved but at a higher rate then what I could have because I had to BRG a higher refundable rate rather than a non refundable rate. I was not going book a non-refundable rate and take the chance BRG not approved and I was stuck with a non-refundable rate.

I think most people here would agree that our issue is not the T&C's that hyatt has set for the BRG but rather the inconstancy we experience in apply (or not applying) to their T&C's.

Or maybe I'm just been spoiled by SPG BRG program
Old May 7, 2015, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Please, do tell me if you know of another BRG program that is just as generous as SPG's program..
Marriott. I have done 500+ claims based on at least 50 sites and I have never once been rejected because of membership site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.