Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt house (Summerfield) El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:54 am

This property is only 10-15 minutes away from LAX, local only. If you drive down Aviation blvd all the way to Century Blvd, there's barely any traffic in the morning.

I've stayed at this property 7 times in the last couple weeks, cannot recommend it enough. I like the complimentary internet access (although the signal varies depending which room you get), breakfast, and weekday happy hour. Embassy Suites is great too, but the living room is much smaller compared to this Hyatt, which also has a full kitchen. Oh did I mention free parking? You also get access to the Spectrum Athletic Club across the street.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
If you cab it, taxis have a "local" minimum fare to/from LAX (or at least from LAX), but in any event, 20 bucks should well cover it.

Yes, it's more than Super Shuttle, but they won't stop and pick up anyone else, and won't make the long loop around LAX.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
You can also take the hotel shuttle to the Westin LAX and take your cab from there !

I stayed at the SS past year with the promo award that Hyatt gave out to Diamonds and I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The "social hour" was kind of a joke though but I was more curious about the set-up than actually hungry. With a car you are well taken care of at this property and you can park FOC right in front of your room. ^

I would however not recommend it for someone who is using alternative transportation, especially because the rates (if you stay on a paid night) are quiet high already and there are better and much cheaper options available at LAX !
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Just checked out after a 2 night stay. After reading the reviews, I expected the worst. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised:

1. Offerred Diamond amenity or points from emotionless front desk clerk; I chose points. Now I'll wait to ensure they post.
2. "Upgraded" from a studio to 2 BR
3. Very large, clean room-great bed, great towels; nice remodeled kitchen; everything else, very "Residence Inn".
4. Happy Hour-free flowing Bud and Bud Light; food average-sliced salami and Kraft American Cheese; Residence-quality food (and I don't mean that in a good way). I didn't eat anything except the carrots and celery.
5. Nice outdoor area and pool-signs say keep alcohol and china inside--didn't enforce it.
6. During my stay, poor stock of amenities in snack area-seemed out of everything.
7. EXCELLENT restaurants within walking distance or short drive; great CVS/MinuteClinic one block away, grocery, Houston's, Paul Martin's (Excellent), McCormick & Schmidts (one of their least expensive ones w/o giving up quality) and others very close. Manhattan Beach 5 minutes away.
8. Free parking in LA.
9. NO elevator-I checked in early and offerred 2nd or 3rd floor. I didn't want kids running on my ceiling, so I chose 3rd floor. I can always use the exercise, but be ready for a climb.
10. Too many door signs: DND, refresh only, and other messages. I got confused and put out the wrong sign-for no service.
11. Decent continental breakfast--a step over Residence, eggs were hot, sausage not bad, and toast options.

All in all, I was pleased. Excellent value. I have stayed at the LAX Sheraton, LAX Westin, and am tired of the plane noise. I like this spot a lot! :-:

Last edited by tashworth; Jun 16, 2010 at 8:47 pm Reason: addition
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Mattress Run: 06/25/11

Needed another stay to earn the 10K points for the Possibilities Promotion so I made the reservation here via hyatt.com @ the AAA rate for a 1 bed king non smoking.

Hotel property is just off of Rosecrans, west of Aviation and is adjacent to the office buildings/parking structure to the south that face Rosecrans as well as the Green Line right of way to the north and east. Parking rings all three sides of the hotel's building complex.

Check-in was easy enough and I was offered my option to select drinks from the pantry area - I'm assuming as a Platinum and having never stayed at a Summerfield Suites before. Wasn't requested to sign any forms regarding "No Parties". I had no issues with the front desk staff. Outdoor pool is at the center of the hotel's building complex. Parking is free - assuming that there are enough spaces when the property is full.

Since the MR was on a Saturday, most/all of those that I saw in and around the complex and pool were families. Given that the rates increase during the week, likely more business dominant during weekdays.

Others have noted the access to the rooms is via stairs. The other point I'd make is that the rooms starting with even numbers (2, 4, 6, etc.) have doors that face outward toward the parking areas and the odd starting rooms face inward to the hotel complex and pool. Given the room accessibility from anywhere, there's not as much security as compared to other hotels where you need to swipe to access corridors to rooms. I'll let others who would have greater security concerns address this one - and also not knowing if this is the standard configuration for Summerfield Suites. In addition, if anyone who's stayed here on the outer even numbered rooms has feedback on the noise from autos/Green Line, that might also be helpful.

Room's furnishings were/are on the new side - flat panel TV, decent kitchen with full fridge, good size closet spaces. I personally would prefer this brand to the Hyatt Place properties that I've stayed at. I would compare the brand directly with the Residence Inn line for Marriott and Homewood Suites for Hilton. Bed was comfortable for all of the 5 minutes I spent flipping thru the channels. If I recall, there was a menu button and all of the requisites to purchase movies, etc. on demand.

Other reviewers in this thread have mentioned some of the menus for evening snacks/food. Also, since this was a MR, I didn't stick around for breakfast.

For the location, will consider this property again as a MR option if needed but would prefer something a few dollars cheaper - AAA rate was $139. Rates during the week (not AAA) are right coming up starting @ $156 for the same 1 bed king.

David
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by DELee
Needed another stay to earn the 10K points for the Possibilities Promotion so I made the reservation here via hyatt.com @ the AAA rate for a 1 bed king non smoking.

Hotel property is just off of Rosecrans, west of Aviation and is adjacent to the office buildings/parking structure to the south that face Rosecrans as well as the Green Line right of way to the north and east. Parking rings all three sides of the hotel's building complex.

Check-in was easy enough and I was offered my option to select drinks from the pantry area - I'm assuming as a Platinum and having never stayed at a Summerfield Suites before. Wasn't requested to sign any forms regarding "No Parties". I had no issues with the front desk staff. Outdoor pool is at the center of the hotel's building complex. Parking is free - assuming that there are enough spaces when the property is full.

Since the MR was on a Saturday, most/all of those that I saw in and around the complex and pool were families. Given that the rates increase during the week, likely more business dominant during weekdays.

Others have noted the access to the rooms is via stairs. The other point I'd make is that the rooms starting with even numbers (2, 4, 6, etc.) have doors that face outward toward the parking areas and the odd starting rooms face inward to the hotel complex and pool. Given the room accessibility from anywhere, there's not as much security as compared to other hotels where you need to swipe to access corridors to rooms. I'll let others who would have greater security concerns address this one - and also not knowing if this is the standard configuration for Summerfield Suites. In addition, if anyone who's stayed here on the outer even numbered rooms has feedback on the noise from autos/Green Line, that might also be helpful.

Room's furnishings were/are on the new side - flat panel TV, decent kitchen with full fridge, good size closet spaces. I personally would prefer this brand to the Hyatt Place properties that I've stayed at. I would compare the brand directly with the Residence Inn line for Marriott and Homewood Suites for Hilton. Bed was comfortable for all of the 5 minutes I spent flipping thru the channels. If I recall, there was a menu button and all of the requisites to purchase movies, etc. on demand.

Other reviewers in this thread have mentioned some of the menus for evening snacks/food. Also, since this was a MR, I didn't stick around for breakfast.

For the location, will consider this property again as a MR option if needed but would prefer something a few dollars cheaper - AAA rate was $139. Rates during the week (not AAA) are right coming up starting @ $156 for the same 1 bed king.

David

Good review David

Have stayed at this property quite a few times and apart from the odd party going on all night it's been OK. We have slept in every building - the Green Line does start pretty early as can clearly be heard in some rooms. Luckily our last stay which was adjacent to the Line was an early start for us.

My biggest problem with this property is that they stopped the complementary LAX shuttle which means that if staying here on a Mileage Run I need to add another $40 in taxi fares. If I have a really early start then I will stay closer to LAX at a property with a bus. I have had an issue when a taxi booked at the HP didn't turn up and we were almost late for a flight.

The breakfast is standard HP fare and the room can get very busy with large groups and families. There is also a small business centre which is useful for printing out boarding passes - need a room key for access.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Good review David

Have stayed at this property quite a few times and apart from the odd party going on all night it's been OK. We have slept in every building - the Green Line does start pretty early as can clearly be heard in some rooms. Luckily our last stay which was adjacent to the Line was an early start for us.

My biggest problem with this property is that they stopped the complementary LAX shuttle which means that if staying here on a Mileage Run I need to add another $40 in taxi fares. If I have a really early start then I will stay closer to LAX at a property with a bus. I have had an issue when a taxi booked at the HP didn't turn up and we were almost late for a flight.

The breakfast is standard HP fare and the room can get very busy with large groups and families. There is also a small business centre which is useful for printing out boarding passes - need a room key for access.
when did they ever have a free shuttle, it had to be years ago
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Yes it was about 3-4 years ago I believe - turned up at LAX one time and phoned for the shuttle to be told "we don't have one anymore". I try to only use this property now when I have a car.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
As general information for those who have not overnighted at LAX recently, the process of getting picked up and taken to your hotel will remind you of Times Square at night. Very crowded and hectic, both on airport and off. All shuttles are now shared, blue, look alike, and have crawl signs listing the hotels they serve. Hope you are not at the last stop or you might find the shuttle packed and have trouble getting on.

Last edited by jayer; Jul 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:59 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Just stayed here this week. Not very impressed. With most rooms having outside entrances, this felt like a motel from the 1970s. Room was clean, but very dated. It was just a strange vibe. I was expecting more of a Hyatt Place experience and this certainly wasn't close.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by GB
Just stayed here this week. Not very impressed. With most rooms having outside entrances, this felt like a motel from the 1970s. Room was clean, but very dated. It was just a strange vibe. I was expecting more of a Hyatt Place experience and this certainly wasn't close.
I stayed there about three weeks ago and it was OK. I like it - there is a small strip mall which is 5 minutes walk away; the Metro is a five minute walk away from the hotel and it's only a few stops to the airport.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Stayed here last night and it is now a Hyatt House.
The furniture in the rooms has been upgraded, and the beds seem to be new also. Had a nice stay, despite being given a room near the Green Line with its consequent noise.

The TV in the living room was large with a smaller one in the bedroom.

Some small things need sorting - all the labels had worn off the alarm clock for example.

Staff as helpful and friendly as usual.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:08 am

Hyatt Place LAX question

Anyone have any experience using the Hyatt Place LA as a transit hotel at LAX? I have to overnight and it would be nice to use for getting closer to diamond, but note that it does not offer an airport hotel shuttle. Any other benefits or drawbacks?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:26 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by uppereastff
Anyone have any experience using the Hyatt Place LA as a transit hotel at LAX? I have to overnight and it would be nice to use for getting closer to diamond, but note that it does not offer an airport hotel shuttle. Any other benefits or drawbacks?
I think you mean Hyatt house (Summerfield Suites) - there currently is not a Hyatt Place near LAX.

To answer your question - I don't really consider the property an airport hotel because of the shuttle situation - there is a way to get there on public transit - shuttle bus to the train station (Green line?) then the property is pretty close to a train stop.

I'll merge your thread with the Master Review Thread on the property.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:52 pm

I like the hotel fine for the six or so weeks a year I'm presently staying there. That said, there isn't anything really phenomenal about it. It has an advatage (in my opinion) over the Century Blvd "airport" hotels in the there are walkable grocery stores and restaurants. Century Blvd is mainly Denny's, fast food and hotel restaurants; for a night, no big deal. There's also an outdoor, real pool.

A taxi to/from the airport won't break the bank, but would add significantly to your bill.

Overall, the airport hotels are pretty cheap (same or less than the Hyatt House, in my experience) so the taxi could be a real consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.