Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) El Segundo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond

There's no review here at FT, so I thought I'd drop some knowledge for the betterment of all GP members. AVOID THIS PLACE! This is a property you'd expect in a Choice Hotel chain, not a Hyatt.

I had a recent one night stay there, and I would never stay again:

1. Rooms not up to Hyatt's cleanliness standard
2. Awful beds
3. Rude staff.
4. No elevators.
5. Dirty furniture and carpets.
6. Smelly linens.
7. No airport shuttle -- Thank God for the Green Line next door!

The staff was clueless about Hyatt quality and brand expectations. They didn't have a clue what Diamond status means, nor did they even acknowledge that my business was appreciated. All I really got was a hard time.

Hyatt recently purged itself of some of the full service turkeys such as San Jose. But I'd take those over this!

If this is Hyatt's business model, it's a bad one. Even for a FFN stay, this is one property that should be avoided. Sorry to be so negative but this one doesn't deserve the Hyatt name.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've stayed at this property several times. I have to agree for the most part. I'd add that the desk and coffee table in every room I've stayed in looked like they had been bought at Target in the 1980s from the cheapest line available and never repaired or replaced. It's like the shabby stuff my parents were too cheap to replace in their guest room, but more battered.

Last edited by SJC1K; Jan 3, 2008 at 10:24 am Reason: Correct a misspelling.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Sounds about business as usual at that property.

See my post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...83&postcount=8

Couple of weeks back I decided to try SS El Segundo for a Friday night to get the bonus points.

It was around 11:30PM when I arrived and drive around the property. I am not big fan of motels that have outside corridors as this one. I had to use the doorbell to get inside the lobby.

When checking in I was requested to sign a NO PARTY WAIVER. I refused and the guy called his manager who was off duty. By that time I saw some other guests at this location with whom I felt incompatible with and just asked the guy to cancel the reservation. Then I was on my way to the nearby HGI.

No more SS's for me.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
chicaloca453:

Please elaborate about the Green Line! Does it go to the airport?

I know that this flies in the face of this post, but I'm afraid I have a **points** stay booked there and...

Thank you.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 3, 2007 at 11:47 pm Reason: Late hour... misspoke re "FFN"
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Oh Dear God! A points stay???????????? You'd be better off at the Century Plaza or using priceline for an airport property and avoiding this place.

At any rate, I will help you out with the Green Line. I was supposed to stand by at 7 a.m. for a flight to ORD. I left the hotel shortly after 5. The green line station (an elevated rail system similar to Chicago) is literally next door to the hotel. You walk out of the hotel and turn right. Walk up a sidewalk to the entrance. It's a 2-3 minute walk. I did see a sign that said one sidewalk would be closed beginning in October, so YMMV on how to get there. But it is next door.

You get on the Green Line (left track if you're facing the hotel) away from the Beach (Redando I believe). Get off at Aviation. It's 3 stops. Then, you have to wait on the G bus to take you to the airport. The train ride is fairly quick. It took 10 minutes at the most. Waiting on the G bus can take forever, especially on weekends. In sum, it took over an hour to get to the airport and I had to stand by on the 8:10 instead of the 7 because of how much time it took.

Mind you, if you have the time, $1.25 is a great deal to the airport (which is between 3.5 and 6 miles away depending on which hotel employee you ask). Taxi would be at least $15 (which is also what Super Shuttle wanted). But know that it can take over an hour to get to the airport and plan accordingly.

The G bus is the same bus you can take to change terminals. It will stop at all of them. It's a bit slow but easy to use.

All in all, the LA transit system is easy to use. The stop nearest the hotel is Douglas Street. There will be 2 more stops and then Aviation. Then, look for the black and white signs that say LAX Shuttle or something to that effect.

However, if you don't have the patience for that and you're wanting a budget airport hotel, try priceline. It will be $40-$50 well spent. I know if I had it to do over again then I'd stay at the Century Plaza which is about 7 miles from the airport and use super shuttle or else go Hilton, Marriott, or Starwood for the LAX area.

Hope this helped.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2

No more SS's for me.
Don't rule them all out. The one in Denver is fantastic. Some people like it better than the full service Hyatt nearby. Those are my only two SS experiences but I'd stay at Denver again in a heartbeat.

This is a bad one, though. And if that's what Hyatt wants to brand its name to, then I'm worried.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
First, 5000 points. It's just that it's the only (""Hyatt"") property anywhere near the airport, and for me the price is right.

Second, thank you for the info on the Green Line, now bookmarked. I've seen the station by the hotel, but had no idea that it offers a way to the airport. It may save a rental car day.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Do you mean you booked it for 5k or you have a promo code for 5k bonus. If it's the latter, please pm me with the code so I can try and get it.

Originally Posted by Firewind
First, 5000 points. It's just that it's the only (""Hyatt"") property anywhere near the airport, and for me the price is right.

Second, thank you for the info on the Green Line, now bookmarked. I've seen the station by the hotel, but had no idea that it offers a way to the airport. It may save a rental car day.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:00 am

No, it cost that.

Hey, wait a minute. You'd trade your principles for a measly 5,000 pts?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
No, it cost that.

Hey, wait a minute. You'd trade your principles for a measly 5,000 pts?

Definitely not but I would have GP Customer Service apply the bonus to my recent stay (which hasn't posted yet). The stay was less than a week ago, and the SS stays take forever.

So you wouldn't want to use a FFN (assuming you have them already) and stay at the Century Plaza and just pay the $12 or so for Super Shuttle?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:26 pm

I had a similar experience as holtju2. The receptionist was rude, and scolded me for pushing the wrong button at the entrance (the door was locked at 9:30pm, when the sign said it would be locked after 11pm).

The room was horrible. I decided to drive home and spend the night away from the hotel.

Returning the next morning to check out, the "Precious" girl behind the counter was so into herself, and didn't care about the customer. I would not recommend this hotel.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by orix
I had a similar experience as holtju2. The receptionist was rude, and scolded me for pushing the wrong button at the entrance (the door was locked at 9:30pm, when the sign said it would be locked after 11pm).

The room was horrible. I decided to drive home and spend the night away from the hotel.

Returning the next morning to check out, the "Precious" girl behind the counter was so into herself, and didn't care about the customer. I would not recommend this hotel.
BTW it was the first time I actually faxed a complaint to the Hyatt which I CC'ed to the property as well. I never heard back.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The downhill slide evidently continues sadly

Originally Posted by holtju2
BTW it was the first time I actually faxed a complaint to the Hyatt which I CC'ed to the property as well. I never heard back.
Sorry to hear that.However it reconfirms some of my own observations
It doesn't come as surprise here as Hyatt Guest Relations/Consumer Affairs has been falling for 18 months like nothing I have witnessed in twenty plus years at any hotel company let alone Hyatt.

Your experience pretty much wraps up the business state of affairs at Hyatt today.
Which isn't a Gold Passport issue but a Hyatt corporate problem as well as an individual property issue.
They have lost touch with their customers & the meaning of CRM
In your case they run a clear risk of destroying a valuable relationship.
This was the company I admired and looked up to as the Gold Standard for many years when it came to guest satisfaction........

My summer in 2006 with Hyatt produced two unacceptable stays with hostile behavior in Hyatt hotels.
Hyatts poor responses ended my decades of reasonably consistent loyalty.They did agree clearly however things should have gone better.
But of course actions speak louder then words.
Not even a letter or email apology and the hotel is free to carry on however it conducts business and or treats guests
In the case of one such sub par property it became another brand out of the Hyatt family of hotels which explains part of the poor treatment received in house.The anti Hyatt guest behavior was established long before the partnership fall-out

Hyatt went in my perception from the number one most trusted lodging company in the world to one that is at your own risk.Get lucky have a great stay
I have shifted my spending only to hotel companies that I can trust unconditionally.
Hopefull in time Hyatt may recover more fully.They still run a good program That however has nothing to do with the serious trouble they are courting.
Bottom line they no longer care what happens in the guest experience

Be especially aware of Hawthorn properties which is a partner property that has even less to do with Hyatt other then redemption and earning in the program.
Its up to the property to respond or not.There is no brand promise of any kind.
Smart savvy travelers will always vote with their feet and wallets where they are recognized and well taken care of thankfully there still remain many options.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Sorry to hear that.However it reconfirms some of my own observations
It doesn't come as surprise here as Hyatt Guest Relations/Consumer Affairs has been falling for 18 months like nothing I have witnessed in twenty plus years at any hotel company let alone Hyatt.

Your experience pretty much wraps up the business state of affairs at Hyatt today.
Which isn't a Gold Passport issue but a Hyatt corporate problem as well as an individual property issue.
They have lost touch with their customers & the meaning of CRM
In your case they run a clear risk of destroying a valuable relationship.
This was the company I admired and looked up to as the Gold Standard for many years when it came to guest satisfaction........

Smart savvy travelers will always vote with their feet and wallets where they are recognized and well taken care of thankfully there still remain many options.

Also had pretty lousy experiences with the Hyatt Consumer Affairs the last 2 years. For some stays, they just refused to acknowledge their guarantee, such as non-smoking or KING, and completely stop replying.

What do you think is the better hotel chain now? SPG or Marriott or ...?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Aircoco
Also had pretty lousy experiences with the Hyatt Consumer Affairs the last 2 years. For some stays, they just refused to acknowledge their guarantee, such as non-smoking or KING, and completely stop replying.

What do you think is the better hotel chain now? SPG or Marriott or ...?

My suggestions would be the following for those hotel companies with high brand and guest assurance standards.
Hilton, Priorty Club /InterContinental (Royal Ambassador especially) and Radisson (excellent properties overseas)
Non program and more obvious/ expensive Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz Carlton
100% Satisfaction guarantee in most brands stated above here. Even if not in writing.
I have been impressed as I used to be for many years with Hyatt.

As with any program it is important to know the better performing properties and find the best way to engage all opportunities the various programs have to offer.
SPG is reasonably good but with some possible reservations.
They seem to be on an uphill climb again despite a blow to their point currency value this year
I am also seeing outstanding performance in the SPG call centers in places after a lull in 2005.
Reports of Starwood Guest concerns seem to be presently met halfway or all the way as of late.I am closely watching. See encouraging signs.
Marriott is what I call satisfactory or industry average (fair) but usually responding and making the effort even if slow. Most of that is observed. I rarely stay with them but still trust them.

Opinions will always vary widely here on FT and one would need to know more about your overall travel.
Now that we have hijacked this poor thread my suggestion is post your questions in other FT forums and see what best may suit your needs. Would like to add (unrelated) while Hyatt Guest Relations continues on a downward spiral as of the past few years Gold Passport has turned in a respectable performance giving Hyatt some slack
Good luck in your choices and by all means excercise your options with companies who value your loyalty and satisfaction

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 8, 2007 at 11:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.