Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by musikdude
just checked in. i'm a diamond. front desk said "you only get one free breakfast per stay but i will give you two, one for each- it is our policy to only give one breakfast to diamonds". i am here on a two night stay and there are a total of 2 on the reservation. correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the FD clerk mistaken? shouldn't i be getting 2 free bkfst each day as a diamond???
That's absurd. GP T&C's state: "In Hyatt hotels that do not have a Regency Club or Grand Club lounge, daily complimentary full breakfast (tax and gratuity included) will be provided to the member and each guest registered in the room, maximum four (4) people."

When we were at the Palm Springs Suites last year we were blocked into a VIP suite (2 BR: 3 beds between them and a pull-out couch) as I contacted the hotel before our arrival and asked them if they had a room to accomodate 7 (yikes!). We were on a trip to Disneyland for our daughter's birthday and had our children and a few of her cousins along. Not only did they give us the suite gratis but they gave us 7 breakfast coupons, which I felt slightly awkward taking and which did not all get used.

If this is hotel policy then it is new and it is not in line with the program T&C's. Though the Palm Springs Suites can be a hit or miss hotel, we have received very good service there on the multiple one-night stays we've had there the past year or so and they have even gone above and beyond on some occasions such as the one mentioned earlier.

Last edited by Windward Side of Life; Jul 31, 2011 at 11:57 pm Reason: Correct number of total beds
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
That's absurd. GP T&C's state: "In Hyatt hotels that do not have a Regency Club or Grand Club lounge, daily complimentary full breakfast (tax and gratuity included) will be provided to the member and each guest registered in the room, maximum four (4) people."

When we were at the Palm Springs Suites last year we were blocked into a VIP suite (2 BR; 5 beds and a pull-out couch) as I contacted the hotel before our arrival and asked them if they had a room to accomodate 7 (yikes!). We were on a trip to Disneyland for our daughter's birthday and had our children and a few of her cousins along. Not only did they give us the suite gratis but they gave us 7 breakfast coupons, which I felt slightly awkward taking and which did not all get used.

If this is hotel policy then it is new and it is not in line with the program T&C's. Though the Palm Springs Suites can be a hit or miss hotel, we have received very good service there on the multiple one-night stays we've had there the past year or so and they have even gone above and beyond on some occasions such as the one mentioned earlier.
I spoke to a different FD agent later in the evening (via phone call) and they said they have "issues" with not everyone at the hotel applying the Diamond rules/benefits in a uniform matter. He was very nice and said he would have security slide some additional breakfast coupons under my door. When I woke up in the morning, they were not there, so I had to go to front desk and have a conversation with another FD agent and after explaining what happened, we were granted the additional coupons. Bit of a hassle, but no big deal. Breakfast was fine- about average, same as every other hyatt, etc).
Off the menu, since buffet is only on weekends.

Rest of stay at hotel was overall pleasant except for a few issues.

The pool water did not seem "right" in terms of the quality. It has a somewhat salty and almost "dirty" feel to it. It felt, to me, like the water is not being filtered correctly, etc. It is not that large of a pool and that might be part of the problem. There must be something that can be done to that pool water!

Issue number two...The hotel offers a courtesy car within a 3 mile radius. After walking to dinner at a restaurant several blocks away, I called the valet to arrange for a pickup at a designated time from my location (as my friend did not want to walk back due to back pain). Gave the valet guy the time and my cell number, in case of any problems, etc. At the agreed upon time, the valet was not there. I gave him 15 minutes and then called the hotel and they said "oh- he hasn't left yet, etc. sorry- he will be leaving in 15 min". Well, upon hearing this, I was kind of miffed because I did not get a call stating he was running late and I was being told it would be another 15 minutes at least. After a total of 45 minutes waiting, my friend and I took a cab back to the hotel. The courtesy car was still parked out front!!! No phone call, no apology from hotel, etc...So my friend, who was pretty ticked, call the FD and after a short conversation, we were offered a $50 credit upon check-out, which I though was fair (since we had paid about $10 for a taxi) and had that long wait.

Final issue, trying to checkout and make sense of my bill...
My room rate was a pre-paid non refundable rate for the two nights. No problem with that part. When I made the reservation, I was offered one of those "E-upgrades/options". I picked the one that gives you $50 F&B credit for $30 paid upfront. When I checked in, I was told "E-option was granted". So therefore I am thinking "great, got $50 F&B credit to spend". I only charged about $60 F&B total to my room, so upon checkout I am expecting to be paying the $30 charge (for the $50 credit) plus the difference, which should have been like $10 more, for a total of about $40.

Since my room & tax was pre-paid, and I charged nothing else besides my $60 worth of F&B, I was expecting to just owe this $40 at checkout. And since I was being given a $50 courtesy credit for the valet issue, I should have a NEGATIVE balance at checkout or at least a Zero balance (which I would have been happy with).

Needless to say, my folio printout was so wrong I almost had to laugh.
There were charges for the 2 nights (even though I had PREPAID room and taxes). I was charged $30 for a room upgrade (which should have been the $30 for $50 F&B charge), which is crazy since I am a Diamond who would never pay for an upgrade in advance . There wasn't the $50 F&B credit, which should have been on there since that is what I signed up for using the e-option. The bill said $312!! Should have been ZERO!!!

The FD manager on duty was very nice and tried to clear things up but I don't think she was following the math correctly. I left the FD with 3 different copies of my ever-changing folio, knowing that once the charge(s) hits my credit card in a few days, I will have to call the hotel and/OR GP desk to fix things once and for all.

And for a final laugh, the points posted to my account already but they are so off (not in my favor) that I don't see how they came to that figure!!

Is it that hard to offer a correct bill? And don't offer e-options to guests if you can't bill for them correctly. I think some guests, who aren't paying attention, might be getting overcharged!!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Great place--very impressed and why I love Hyatt

I thought this was an outstanding hotel, especially around service. I checked in on Sunday for three nights-one paid night and two on GP points. We were upgraded to a 2 room suite with a balcony facing the pool and mountain. It was a huge room with a huge (although very dated tile) bathroom. Room was a little dark due to lack of natural light and the general lighting, but it was not too troubling.

Check in was a breeze. Christine at the front desk is sensational. One of the best experiences of service I've ever received. She consistently recognized me by name all three days, and when I mentioned in passing that there didn't seem to be any USA Today's left, she told me she would get one for me--and brought it to me by the pool Wow.

As a Diamond, we received free breakfast each day. Portions were huge and service very good. Restaurant was never busy.

Pool area is excellent. Great lounge chairs and nice looking. Pool water was warm despite the cooler weather. It appears to be a salt water pool.

Location can't be beat. Right in the middle of everything. Shuttle is convenient, quick and gets you anywhere within a 2 mile radius.

Adrienne at the loung/restaurant was excellent as well. GREAT attitude and excellent service.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Had a nice 1 night paid stay on 11/26. Front desk was well versed on Diamond, provided breakfast coupons, and indicated I was being given the best room available (top floor mountain view).

Sunday breakfast buffet was very good.

Only hicup was the resort fee showed up on my bill. Front desk apologized and corrected it quickly at check out. Another nice stay here.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
<bump>

Any recent reviews? My partner and I are going to be in LA and are considering a 1 night road trip to Palm Springs in late August. The Cabana suite looks like fun, but I fear it may be too hot?

Any advice/suggestions welcome, particularly any gay bar recommendations.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:51 am

Anyone know if this property has begun charging the $15 resort fee for Plat and Diamonds?

The waiver policy used to be stated very clearly on the reservations page; but I noticed today its missing.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Anyone know if this property has begun charging the $15 resort fee for Plat and Diamonds?

The waiver policy used to be stated very clearly on the reservations page; but I noticed today its missing.
I stayed there several weeks ago and was not charged the resort fee (and, for the first time, didn't need to request that the charge be removed). Not sure about Platinums, though.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 9:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

An Ambassador pleasure to assist!
Just to reassure a quick email to a team member on property confirmed nothing has changed with the policy exempting Plats and Diamonds the disliked and dreaded resort fee
It’s a great policy and I applaud it ^
It's won almost all my business away from Grand Champions and I prefer the location
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Just to reassure a quick email to a team member on property confirmed nothing has changed with the policy exempting Plats and Diamonds the disliked and dreaded resort fee
It’s a great policy and I applaud it ^
It's won almost all my business away from Grand Champions and I prefer the location
Thanks for the quick update!

I completely agree about the benefit of the resort fee policy here; and it was going to influence my decision (since I'm no longer the Hyatt loyalist I once was). Glad to hear nothing has changed; its a well run property.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:48 am

Thanks for the quick update!

I completely agree about the benefit of the resort fee policy here; and it was going to influence my decision (since I'm no longer the Hyatt loyalist I once was). Glad to hear nothing has changed; its a well run property.
I'll assume the lack of meaningful promotions is what made you a non Hyatt Loyalist?Just curious
It's a great program and fine group of hotels when it comes to the full service sector certainly
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Just booked this hotel... 166 a night for Deluxe Double Room... Got offered NOR1 upgrade to VIP suite for 130 USD a night... Took it as I thought it would be nice for the three of us... More comfortable. Of course, I can still cancel it!

What do you think?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Just booked this hotel... 166 a night for Deluxe Double Room... Got offered NOR1 upgrade to VIP suite for 130 USD a night... Took it as I thought it would be nice for the three of us... More comfortable. Of course, I can still cancel it!

What do you think?
The Deluxe Double is already a regular suite, actually a long tube with the bathroom dividing the living room from the bed room and balcony. The VIP Suites are located between the two parts of the building close to the elevators and come with a significantly bigger living room. I did not stay in one of them after the renovation, but before the renovation, it was not worth an additional payment of $ 130 a night.

This property is known for false promises and lackluster service. The Hyatt resort in Indian Wells has been renovated this summer, will be more expensive, but is the better property, especially if the Regency Club is open.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:26 am

Updated Review & other thoughts

What do you think?

Greetings and now for the long winded answer
If it’s important to you and it helps knowing for sure you will have a waitlisted and hopefull upgrade at a future cost by all means go for it
I'm not a fan of the whole upgrade possibility program paying for something that hotels typically will upgrade top tier members for free based on ability at check in.
All one has to do is ask nicely to the appropriate individual at check in.For those not comfortable asking this is great for the hotel

Unless the hotel is in very high occupancy in peak high season months and even then that doesn’t mean it’s unavailable if it’s mostly a large group in house without elite status.
At this property even the non VIP suites are bigger than most Embassy Suites so personally it would make even less sense to me.
The VIP suites here have a slightly larger dining table, bigger living room and bathroom with bidet and separate shower stall so the suite is more spacious.
There isn’t a second bathroom. However it won't give an ounce of privacy any more than the standard suites do. Certainly the extra space is a luxury.
We all have priorities on how we spend our $$$.
I'd rather take my chances at check in and blow the extra bucks in a spa taking a relaxing massage or going out to a great dinner
and of course some may prefer to confirm their bigger suite in advance

What's more important to me is that I have a suite mountain side (VIP Suites do) as the Palm Canyon side of the street can on the wrong night be noisy.
Of course the Palm Canyon side is better for people watching
I find the hotel companies that sell these upgrades in advance to top tier members partially insulting however it’s a great revenue scheme for them.
And if one has no tier status it could be beneficial in the right situation.
Regarding my good friend and long time fellow posters FD1971 comments I would say the hotel has improved somewhat with regard to service over the past 24 months
(kinda sorta up and down but stable enough)
I personally find the service here satisfactory all things considered and the location my personal preference.
But like all stays experiences wil vary! I have over 20 years staying at this property and lived through it when it was a dated upscale bomb shelter with rock hard beds!
Its looking mighty good today!
The more recent front office manager is a breath of fresh air compared to her long time predecessor.
She is a seasoned industry professional and passionate about pleasing guests and actually liking them sincerely.She goes the extra mile to keep the guest happy and returning

My only slam against this property is the food and beverage at lunch and dinner have fallen to new lows(thats being polite)
Their new smart looking dining room is going to waste with no improvement in site
In high season on a Saturday night not a single guest team member or host could be found! I can come up with 100 good reasons.
Room service was simply disgusting regardless of the expense.
I was embarrassed for my guests who included an IBM executive and his wife who like I did find the food vile close to inedible cold, rubbery & flavorless
Worse the hotel and Hyatt are in denial not wanting to bring the talent board to bring the food service up to acceptable Hyatt standards.
Not sure why the good Hyatt folks don't see value in making this a desirable destination dining spot over the long run

Oddly breakfast just makes it here/ok/doable but not special and the team hospitable and caring.
But it could use some serious help in the baking department which is commercial at best.
The team members here have always been pleasant to me here and I have no issues at all that would stop me from staying here at present happily.
I will at FD 1971s advice certainly try a stay at Grand Champions in the months ahead as I’d love to see the new improvements and see a hopefully revitalized property.
However with one caveat I suppose I'll suck up the resort fee something the Hyatt Regency Suites to their brilliant credit waives for its Diamond members ^

Have a great stay! Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 3, 2012 at 11:46 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Got offered NOR1 upgrade to VIP suite for 130 USD a night... Took it as I thought it would be nice for the three of us... More comfortable. Of course, I can still cancel it!

What do you think?
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
If it’s important to you and it helps knowing for sure you will have a confirmed upgrade by all means go for it.
I'm not a fan of the whole upgrade in advance program paying for something that hotels typically will upgrade top tier members for free based on ability at check in.
[...]
I'd rather take my chances at check in [...] and of course some may prefer to confirm their bigger suite in advance
[...]
I find the hotel companies that sell these upgrades in advance to top tier members partially insulting however it’s a great revenue scheme for them.
There may be some confusion about the Nor1 upgrade offer. A hotel chooses to participate in the Nor1 scheme. This gives them the ability to market paid upgrades to customers immediately after booking. However, the paid upgrade is NOT a confirmed upgrade (if it were, people could save hundreds or thousands by simply booking a regular room and always upgrading after booking). Instead, the upgrade offer works by committing the customer to pay for the upgrade if the upgrade is available at checkin. The hotel is not committed to grant the upgrade at all, and the customer has no confirmation that his upgrade is secure. The only thing that's changed is he has made a promise to pay for something the hotel can offer later at its discretion.

Let's say the hotel offers a suite upgrade for $100 extra after booking. The customer accepts the upgrade offer. Even though the hotel has offered an upgrade and he has accepted, his upgrade is not confirmed. At checkin, one of the following will happen:
1) The hotel grants the upgrade. The customer is now obligated to pay the $100 extra. The customer cannot decline to pay the upgrade fee and just take his regular booked room. This is important, for example, if the suite is smaller than expected, your spouse got sick and couldn't join you after all, etc. According to the terms of the Nor1 upgrade program, there is no upgrade opt-out at checkin.
OR
2) The hotel does not grant the upgrade. The customer doesn't have to pay anything extra. This possibility is the reason that the upgrades are offered for so much cheaper than the confirmed rates - you have no confirmation that the upgraded accommodations will be available.

The Nor1 upgrades are really a bad idea for most elites as the upgrades offered are generally those that are given for free anyway on checkin. If you opt-in to a Nor1 upgrade offer, you're really just promising to pay for an upgrade, that, if available, you might have gotten for free anyway.

[Note that Nor1 does offer some "upgrades" that are confirmed - these are usually items not subject to availability constraints like breakfast or internet packages. But most offerings, like a room facing a particular direction or early checkin/late checkout are still based on availability. If you accept the $20 early checkin offer and show up early, the hotel can still decline the offer. You don't have to pay anything, but you still showed up early and have no place to stay.]
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
There may be some confusion about the Nor1 upgrade offer. A hotel chooses to participate in the Nor1 scheme. This gives them the ability to market paid upgrades to customers immediately after booking. However, the paid upgrade is NOT a confirmed upgrade (if it were, people could save hundreds or thousands by simply booking a regular room and always upgrading after booking). Instead, the upgrade offer works by committing the customer to pay for the upgrade if the upgrade is available at checkin. The hotel is not committed to grant the upgrade at all, and the customer has no confirmation that his upgrade is secure. The only thing that's changed is he has made a promise to pay for something the hotel can offer later at its discretion.

Let's say the hotel offers a suite upgrade for $100 extra after booking. The customer accepts the upgrade offer. Even though the hotel has offered an upgrade and he has accepted, his upgrade is not confirmed. At checkin, one of the following will happen:
1) The hotel grants the upgrade. The customer is now obligated to pay the $100 extra. The customer cannot decline to pay the upgrade fee and just take his regular booked room. This is important, for example, if the suite is smaller than expected, your spouse got sick and couldn't join you after all, etc. According to the terms of the Nor1 upgrade program, there is no upgrade opt-out at checkin.
OR
2) The hotel does not grant the upgrade. The customer doesn't have to pay anything extra. This possibility is the reason that the upgrades are offered for so much cheaper than the confirmed rates - you have no confirmation that the upgraded accommodations will be available.

The Nor1 upgrades are really a bad idea for most elites as the upgrades offered are generally those that are given for free anyway on checkin. If you opt-in to a Nor1 upgrade offer, you're really just promising to pay for an upgrade, that, if available, you might have gotten for free anyway.

[Note that Nor1 does offer some "upgrades" that are confirmed - these are usually items not subject to availability constraints like breakfast or internet packages. But most offerings, like a room facing a particular direction or early checkin/late checkout are still based on availability. If you accept the $20 early checkin offer and show up early, the hotel can still decline the offer. You don't have to pay anything, but you still showed up early and have no place to stay.]
The words confirmed should not have been in my morning vocabulary. Thank you for the clarification and post.Waitlisted for a cost
Because I never use this ever I can't even think of waitlisting for this privilege I will amend my post to be correct
To many Diamond confirmables on the brain which reminds me how I want to allocate whats left this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.