FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/615242-hyatt-regency-london-churchill-review-master-thread.html)

Ducatibiker Mar 23, 2006 1:14 am

Very good point Richard ! Hotels should tell you something on their web site or in the confirmation of noisy work or noisy situation. I hate to get to the pool and it is closed for renovation. There is nothing worse than concrete hammer drilling for waking up call - especially when you put in your reservation that you want a quiet room !

rfrost Apr 14, 2006 8:29 am

Just wondering if anyone has stayed there since they began work and how it was? Am considering bank holiday Monday stay, if they realize it's a holiday and bring the rates down.
Following up on SethLevy's tip (thank you!) I found and booked a great rate at the Hilton Park Lane (99GBP including VAT!) for my one night stay last week. The property's been the subject of varying comments on the Hilton board (a lot of which went to uneven treatment of HH Diamonds, which didn't affect me), and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an ideal location for my particular comings and goings that day, and I was kind of curious about it. Was not impressed--ungracious front desk, did not get the King-bedded room I'd reserved (though it DID have a park view) and was given misinformation by the concierge re Gatwick Express schedule. Loved the rate, but not inclined to return.

RichardInSF Jun 24, 2006 8:39 am

Renovation at Hyatt Churchill - Including Early Reviews of Renovated Rooms

They have cleverly chosen to shut down rooms vertically for renovation. As you stand in Portman Square and look at the hotel, currently the right half, all floors, is under renovation. There is a partition at each elevator lobby to separate the construction area from the guest area.

In my second stay in two weeks, I have not been bothered by a single construction sound. Admittedly, I am at the far end away from the construction which also makes it better.

In my opinion, the renovation work is NOT a reason to stay away from this hotel. Go ahead and book!

meducate Jun 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Presidential Suite - Sweet

I just checked in for a 2 day stay for business and I was presented with a key to a room on the 9th floor - a part of the Presidential Suite! Two sliding glass doors opening to a narrow baclony, humongous sleeping area with a king bed, nice sitting area/living room with a beautiful wooden desk. Bottle of Syrah and apricots with a note from the GM.

Beautiful master bath with large tub and separate stall shower.

Clearly marked outside as Presidential Suite!!! Now THAT is service!

Not bad!!

Will edit later if it gets any better!! ;)

RichardInSF Jun 25, 2006 3:13 am

I have no idea about the exercize room and don't intend to try to find out!!! :) No problems with access to the RC.

SethLevy Jun 25, 2006 8:04 pm

Just checked out this morning (June 25). No noise problems. Fire alarm went off on Thursday, all had to leave the building for 30 minutes.

Air conditioning needs work.

There is a lot of dust in guest rooms. Many london hotels were sold out or had only expensive rooms left, was able to book hyatt, even though it listed as sold out, using points and stay certificates.

tfung Jun 26, 2006 4:46 am

I also stayed at the Churchill last month, and there was no noise at all during my stay... Funny thing was that the Regency Club seems just as full as when the hotel was fully operational... The staff were very good as usual, and they all seemed quite excited with the renovations... I tried to ask them what will happen to the Regency Club when the start renovation on that side of the hotel, and none of them seemed to know...

rfrost Jun 26, 2006 11:26 am

I spent a night there recently, but being something of a pessimist by nature, did it on a weekend when I figured there was minimal risk of noise. I did talk with one of the RC staff members about the noise and she said some days she heard nothing, other days it was fairly loud. She said when they close the other side, they will move the RC down to the second floor while the work is being done.
I had a very nice (albeit brief) stay.

Infant Jun 27, 2006 12:16 am

Agreed.

I stayed here recently (9th floor IIRC) and had a very pleasant stay. The renovation did not cause any inconvenience at all.

Rene

RichardInSF Jun 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Just checked out this morning (June 25). No noise problems. Fire alarm went off on Thursday, all had to leave the building for 30 minutes.

Air conditioning needs work.

There is a lot of dust in guest rooms. Many london hotels were sold out or had only expensive rooms left, was able to book hyatt, even though it listed as sold out, using points and stay certificates.

A/C worked like a champ for me and I didn't have any dust problems, but as I noted, the rooms I had were as far from the construction as it was possible to be without leaving the hotel. I also like the Portman Square location, only GBP6-7 taxi fare to/from Paddington and the Heathrow Express yet still in the very heart of London.

tfung Aug 25, 2006 10:52 pm

how is the progress of the renovations? Going to be in London mid-October. Wonder if the first phase of the renovation would be finished yet...

tfung Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm

well, I called the hotel directly and the lady on the phone told me that the first half will be finished in 2 weeks time, and the 2nd half will start renovations 2 weeks later... so hopefully I can try out their new rooms when I visit in October! :)

oh yeah.. pictures of the new rooms are up on hyatt.com already:
http://london.churchill.hyatt.com/hy...escription.jsp

lalala Aug 28, 2006 2:16 pm

I see they kept the same curtains.

broadwayboy Aug 28, 2006 2:39 pm

Will all the rooms and club have been completed by Jan 2007?

pdb Aug 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost
... I did talk with one of the RC staff members... She said when they close the other side, they will move the RC down to the second floor while the work is being done...

I suppose that could be a reason for not having any online photos of the RC.