FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/615242-hyatt-regency-london-churchill-review-master-thread.html)

lalala Jan 25, 2005 2:26 pm

I had two short stays this weekend. I can not tell you how much I appreciated the Regency Club staff. They refrigerated Taller Half's cheeses before my my late afternoon flight. They even have decent coffee in their machine, hard to find with those new fangled cappucino machines.

The rooms I had were either spacious or if not, still comfortable. The beds are fabulous.

I look forward to my stays in February and March.

lala

lkm098 Feb 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill, some experience...

I have stayed recently in Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill. I used 18,000 points for a Regency Club Room, which I found pretty nice. Located on the 9th floor, no noise. Excellent breakfast on the Club floor. What really was dissappointing, is the timing to check-in and check-out. :td: Only couple of guys at a reception and waiting times are awefull. Otherwise, Hyatt in London is nice. Great location, few steps from the Oxford Street and Marble Arch. :-: Though, the best in this hotel are the beds (at least in a Regency Club Room). Excellent :)

lalala Feb 16, 2005 6:22 pm

You can check out and in with the regency club concierges, so that should make things faster.

and welcome :)

PSGlenn Feb 17, 2005 7:35 pm

I recently stayed at the Churchill as well. Overall, a pleasant experience.
The RC water and fruit in the room was great, especially when they replinished it after a few days.

I agree about the front desk issue. If you haven't been to the hotel before you don't know that the man behind the desk to the right is the concierge (no sign) and the others are either working with customers or busy looking at their computer screens.

Also, an earlier thread shared how 'wonderful' the RC staff was. Well, they were polite and did their jobs but I found them rather cool and standoffish. If I had an inquiry, they would answer it but I always felt they acted rather put out by my asking a question regarding anything from a direction to a church schedule.
(Example: They have Wigmore Hall brochures in the RC. After reviewing it, I was interested in perhaps attending a performance. When I asked the concierge 'where Wigmore Hall was and was it far from the hotel?' The response I received was " It's on Wigmore Street". I had to ask several specific questions to get to the fact that 'Wigmore Hall is on Wigmore Street which is the street that borders Portman Square on the south. The hall is a few blocks to the east". A good concierge would have give more complete information based on the initial inquiry.)

I still miss The Carlton Tower!!!!! :(

SethLevy Feb 20, 2005 3:16 am

I have stayed there several times, always on points or FFNs. Note, if you are a DIamond, never use 18k for RC, use 15K, they will always upgrade you.

Check-out is very slow in the lobby. RC staff are not always present on the 8th floor. I have always had to check-out in the lobby. Doorman never helps with bags, and I have had to get my own taxi many times.

However, the beds are great (but I really wish they would get regular duvets, they wrap two sheets around a duvet, and use the two sheets as the cover, it can get messy at times.

the diamond amenity is water (2 bottles, a bottle of red (cheap) wine and fruit. I have only recevie the amenity (and I really did not care) about 50% of the time. If you arrive early and take a nap with the do not disturb sign onthe door, they will not leave it and they never will come back with it.

Plus, always given early check-in, always upgraded, good beds and excellent location. ALso never had a problem getting pointor FFN av ailability. Hotel will unblock rooms if you send them an e-mail.

I still maintain for points it is worth every point. I would never pay my money to stay there, rates are to high, especially given the competition. (check out the Marriott Park Lane-simply amazing at the same Hyatt rates,ifyou e-mail them and ask them to match Hyatt.com rate, they will.)

Explore Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Just back.....

As Diamond, assigned to an 8th floor Regency Club room using FFN, even though the hotel mixed up the dates on my arrival.

Quite satisfied with the evening (6-8 pm) and morning (7-11 am) spreads in the Regency Club. Not so fab in the mid-afternoon: cookies and apples only, plus coffee/tea and a number of soft drinks and juices.

Satisfied with the Diamond amenity: full bottle wine (albeit very recent 2003 Cab), extensive fruit, full bottles of both still and sparkling water (also available in lounge).

The staff in RC and elsewhere in Britain can be goofy. It's just part of the culture, as immortalized by John Cleese in his onetime "Fawlty Towers" TV show. And those guys/gals may not be trained to be full concierges - the guy downstairs might - underline, might - be better.

pdx42 Feb 28, 2005 7:03 pm

Churchill Changes

I stayed at the Churchill several times when it was Intercontinental - and liked it. I felt the location was good and the neighborhood fairly nice and quiet. The last time I was in London - I walked from the main entrance through the lounge and out the side door to get a sense of any changes Hyatt has made since they took over. Obviously, I didn't check out the rooms - but has anyone noticed any significant changes since the change of ownership? The rooms were always comfortable but not overly luxurious by any measure. Just curious about whether the hotel is due for a major renovation - or whether that's happening?

kawoh Mar 17, 2005 12:55 am

internet?

hi - is there wireless internet at or near this property?

how much is it?

and how much do they charge for local calls ? and are they timed?

i have two nights coming up there next w/end.

tinnub Mar 18, 2005 11:15 am

I am in London at the Churchill right now. Internet is available in room for 6 pounds/hour and 15 pounds for 24 hours. There is net in the lobby but I am sot sure of the cost. They do charge for phone calls and they are timed. Seems real high.
Staying with points and FFN this wekend and used FFN for two nights last weekend. Last weekend received the RC floor and service in room was suberb. This weekend they said no RC rooms on Thurs. or Fri. and was given non RC room. There is a significant diffeerence (water and fruit not replaced, no chocolates with turndown, etc.) They apologized and gave breakfast cert for one morning. RC is very nice and I may "sneak up" anyway. Enjoy your trip.

mauld Mar 18, 2005 12:25 pm

You shouldn't have any problem in 'sneaking up' to the RC, it is just to the right as you get off the elevators. I'll be back at the Churchill in late May--where I'm paying a discounted 166 rate for 2 nites and was able to get Hyatt to extend the time period on my FFN for one night. I've always been able to get an RC room, and last time I was given a suite, while on a full FFN stay. Hope I get as lucky this time around ;)

AndrewC Mar 19, 2005 1:19 am

I stayed at this hotel on a FFN this last week.

As a Diamond, we were treated excellently. The RC in this property is, IMHO, the best of any Hyatt we've visited. Rooms were nice, and the service gracious.

The rates seem quite steep - I'll be staying here again but I think I'll but some Elite stay certs!

divaof travel Mar 19, 2005 5:20 am

Just a word of warning if you have a car. I stayed here last November with a car, and the hotel is either within or very near the "restricted" zone where you need a special sticker to drive. I only .found out when Hert sent me four tickets at about $170 each last week

777 global mile hound Mar 21, 2005 4:29 pm

Can anybody tell me how far this property is from the theater district and Trafalgar Square?
And what means of access/transportation there are.
I am thinking of canceling my reservation at the Trafalgar Hotel and rebooking all of my nights at the Hyatt based on the mostly positive reviews.
Thanks to all in advance.

SanDiego1K Mar 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Can anybody tell me how far this property is from the theater district and Trafalgar Square?

The hotel is roughly one block north of Oxford and Park Lane, or Marble Arch, if that landmark serves you better. I lived a block from there for my two years in London. There is frequent bus service down Oxford Street to Picadilly and beyond.

However, as a theatre junkie, I do prefer staying in the Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden area. There are better restaurants and more sightseeing. Oxford Street is a bit tatty IMO.

777 global mile hound Mar 23, 2005 11:45 pm

Agree !!

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The hotel is roughly one block north of Oxford and Park Lane, or Marble Arch, if that landmark serves you better. I lived a block from there for my two years in London. There is frequent bus service down Oxford Street to Picadilly and beyond.

However, as a theatre junkie, I do prefer staying in the Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden area. There are better restaurants and more sightseeing. Oxford Street is a bit tatty IMO.

Thank You so much for your helpful post/ asssitance.
I too wish to stay in the Trafalgar Square ,Covent Garden area but after the raves on the Hyatt there I am thinking of going with Hyatt and rebooking my whole stay there....... I used to stay at 47 Park when Westin managed it (Now Marriott)years ago so I do know Oxford Street.
Is the bus cool enough during the summer or is it a people steamer ?