FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/615242-hyatt-regency-london-churchill-review-master-thread.html)

SanDiego1K Mar 23, 2005 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Is the bus cool enough during the summer or is it a people steamer ?

The bus has always been very comfortable when I've taken it - and I go by bus rather than tube in general to go around central London.

777 global mile hound Mar 24, 2005 12:00 am

It is appreciated

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The bus has always been very comfortable when I've taken it - and I go by bus rather than tube in general to go around central London.

What would you say is the approx time to the Covent Garden area ?

SanDiego1K Mar 24, 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
What would you say is the approx time to the Covent Garden area ?

I can walk it in 30 minutes. By bus, it is about 15-20 minutes. That part of London is sufficiently congested, a bus will get you there almost as fast as a taxi.

Whether you walk or take the bus, you go down Oxford, then down Regent to Piccadilly - and from there can walk to the theatres on Shaftesbury or Leicester Square. The same bus will go on to Trafalgar Square and the Strand, if your theatre is in that area.

777 global mile hound Mar 24, 2005 8:42 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I can walk it in 30 minutes. By bus, it is about 15-20 minutes. That part of London is sufficiently congested, a bus will get you there almost as fast as a taxi.

Whether you walk or take the bus, you go down Oxford, then down Regent to Piccadilly - and from there can walk to the theatres on Shaftesbury or Leicester Square. The same bus will go on to Trafalgar Square and the Strand, if your theatre is in that area.

Sounds like it may be quicker to walk then wait for the bus or pay for a taxi that could be more then the room in that traffic :)
Thanks again for the heads up Cheers

broadwayboy Mar 24, 2005 10:28 am

I was there last weel for 3 nights on FFN. The rooms at club floors were fully booked, so I was given a deluxe room with a view (park) on the 6th floor. Not much of a view, really and the room is very tired looking (I was told renovation on guestrooms will start late this year). Access to lounge was given.

The sucky thing about being on the non club floors is that no amenities is given. I receive neither a fruit platter nor wine - and I can not stand the very colorful toilettries they give in non-club floors. What also sucks is they replace the Molton Brown toilettries in the health club with the rather yucky smelling toilettries from the regular rooms.

But thankfully weather in London was GLORIOUS last week.

Originally Posted by Steph58
Looks like everyone gets upgraded to a suite on FFNs but me. Normally I would never even bother to ask with FFNs, but I'd read here it was a common occurrence so I sent an e-mail prior to my stay the end of Sept. Mentioned that it was my mother's 74th birthday, and I even offered to use my Diamond suite upgrade cert. Received a reply that they would upgrade us. When we arrived they absolutely wouldn't do it--said not on FFNs. I had the cert but not the e-mail or name of the person who confirmed. This was the last stop at the end of a 21-day marathon trip through Europe, so I didn't press the issue since by that point I was exhausted. Received a room on the RC floor with 2 very comfortable twin beds and view of trees in the park across the street. Room was nice enough and big enough for 2--like they say, we weren't in the room much anyway. Nice RC and very helpful staff. Also, paid for a 60-minute card for internet access on their computers in the lobby. For some reason, the time never got deducted each time I used it, so I considered that a perk. My mother enjoyed the fruit basket--especially that hairy looking fruit from Thailand.

rfrost Mar 27, 2005 9:10 am

There've been some fairly colorful bottles of tolietries in my club floor rooms on my last two stays, so I suspect private labelization has arrived there in full force.
On the bus issue discussed above, the nearest bus stop on Oxford Street is served by one bus that ends its route at Piccadilly Circus, and two more that stop there and continue on to (or beyond) Trafalgar Square and Aldwych, so service is very frequent. On a busy Saturday afternoon, however, it could take a good 20 minutes JUST to get to Oxford Circus, so if you're in a hurry, it may not be for you.
As for comparisons with Covent Garden, Oxford Street is also a busy area (much less so at night), and doesn't generally get the hordes of drinkers in the street. I think it's a bit rundown. Portman Square itself is very quiet, and if you like to go eat late, there are not a lot of good choices in the area.
For the poster who's booked at the Trafalgar, I assume that's the newish Hilton, which I haven't stayed at, but have been shown. They are VERY different from each other. The Hilton's kind of self-consciously modern and somewhat hip; standard rooms are small and minimalist. The Churchill's kind of a dowager--a bit dowdy and staid, with a large Middle Eastern clientele. I've only stayed on the club floor, but I'm guessing my rooms there (which have generally not been very big) were standard size, which would make them bigger than the Hilton's. I don't like the concierges on the main floor, and as has been previously noted, checkout downstairs can be a zoo.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 27, 2005 4:14 pm

Thank goodness. A Hyatt that cares.

We are off to London at the end of April 2005 for my wife's B'Day on FFNs. I was so pleased to see a post like this. This after just having done the dance with the front office at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. We are in on BA in F so this should make us 100% plus happy. Thanks all for the posts. Regards

sggolf Mar 28, 2005 7:49 am

Stayed at the Churchill a few weekends ago. Got a nice room on the 8th floor. RC club was full and attendant offered coupons for breakfast downstairs but she let us eat in the boardroom. Took taxis everywhere as the Central line was out of order...The weather was beautiful that weekend. The staff was very nice even the checkout staff downstairs...

kawoh Mar 29, 2005 4:37 pm

hyatt london churchill

stayed there a couple of days ago.

was upgraded to the 9th floor, all rooms facing the street are suites, with the rooms facing the back of the building are usual rooms. I got a ususal room, facing the queens suite or something (it looked onto the balcony of that suite) with a slight view.

hotel is pretty nice and great value on a FFN (which I was on). Toiletries were nice, room was tight but OK. Queen size (or king?) bed, workdesk, as a diamond I received a bottle of 03 french red wine, and a bowl with 2 bannanas, red grapes, green grapes, an apple, and a plum, a plate, napkin and knife. Was nice.

Bathroom was nothing flash, but had marble. 2 new pairs of slippers and robes in the wardrobe. Internet is 15 pounds per 24 hour period (not 12-12, but any 24 hours). Gym is nice, renovated with a large plasma screen about 42", 3 joggers, a bike, stepper, weights up to 10kg each, weight machines. There are free bannanas and apples and chilled water.

Hotel location is as stated about 1 1/2 blocks away from Oxford St, closest station is Marble Arch which is a 5min walk.

Would suggest if you want internet, to sign up for a tmobile wireless in the US, ie - any united lounge you can set it up before you leave for US$39.99 for 1 month (not a contract, recurring), and you can roam free at any BT Openzone. The mcdonalds just next to Marble Arch station has wireless internet and plenty of space with a bt openzone - so you can use it there if you've subscribed - was great, excellent coverage. you can also use it at most starbucks around london and various other places (ie most hilton lobbies also have access).

It's close to the shops of oxford st (if you like the crowds and shopping). It is about a 15 min underground ride to Piccadily. Isn't great for theatre in terms of location but it isn't far. It's in a nice relaxing location away from the hustle of oxford st. if you get a good rate compared to others, definitely worth a stay here, esp if diamond.

If you prefer piccadily/trafalger square - I would suggest, whilst it's not a hyatt, the Le Meridien Piccadily - it's a solid 4 - 4.5* property literraly around the corner from piccadilly circus. It has huge roman pillars outside the entrance, and Le Meridien Moments has their own "faster free nights". http://www.lemeridien.com/visa - pay with visa and for 2 stays, you'll get 1 free weekend night (basically 1,000 moments points). You'll earn about 1,150 moments points for 2 paid stays there. A weekend at the Le Meridien Piccadily is 1,600, a weekday is 1,800 on redmeption. But the Le Meridien gatwick is only 800 on a weekend (fri/sat/sun) and 1000 on a weekday. But for 2 stays there, you could redeem at either the le meridien chicago, LA or Miami for 1,200 on a weekend - which would be enough or 1000 for the le meridien toronto or only 600 at the le meridien singapore - which is basically 1 stay at the le meridien piccadily = 1 free night at the le meridien singapore on orchard rd, free.

the lounge is nice, cold cuts, pastries (muffins, croissants, etc), yoghurts (nice french ones), bircher muesli, ham, turkey, smoked fish, pepperoni, devon, heaps of fresh fruits cut - passionfruit, kiwi, cantalope, oranges, etc. choice of drinks, cerals, toast.

Evening - unfortunately I missed, but they serve also then. Didn't check during the day. Lobby is nice and the bell boy/door men are great, never had to open the door when i entered once - and I dress casual / unswish :)

Enjoy the hotel, it's great. Even better on a FFN. Bring back FFN in April!! I have 7 nights I'm holding off on booking !

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 29, 2005 5:01 pm

Can someone please comment on transport from LHR?

We are kinda conservative so I would appreciate comments on transport from LHR to Hotel. Heathrow Express or prefer tube. Thanks

gregorygrady Mar 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by divaof travel
Just a word of warning if you have a car. I stayed here last November with a car, and the hotel is either within or very near the "restricted" zone where you need a special sticker to drive. I only .found out when Hert sent me four tickets at about $170 each last week

I too am interested in transportation to/from/around the Churchill. I'll be in Southampton (~90 miles SE on London) next week on business and if I finish early I'm gonna try to make it to the Churchill on the weekend. I'll have a rental car but am wondering if a car at the Churchill is more trouble than it's worth. Is there any need for a car in London or would it be more convenient/easier to drop my car rental back at LHR on Friday and just take the Heathrow Express to Paddington (and a cab to Churchill) and then the Tube around London for sightseeing, etc.? Parking is $50 a night? Is there any street parking anywhere near there? I may want to just keep my rental car since I'll already have it but rather than paying $50 or $100 for parking I'd rather dump the car a few blocks (or even a half mile) away and then pick it back up when I'm leaving for LHR. Also what's the deal with this "restricted zone"? Is it a huge hassle to have a car at this hotel? It sort of seems like it is from others posts.........

sggolf Mar 29, 2005 8:55 pm

Here's more information on the "congestion charging" or the fee required to be paid if you drive your car in the "restricted zone".

http://www.cclondon.com/index.shtml

kawoh Mar 30, 2005 2:16 am

car/transport/airport

car:

you do not need a car in london, you can adequately get around on the underground and british rail and buses. most londoners rely on this, and it's generally good, occassionally you get a hiccup on the line, but it's good nonetheless. the jubilee and piccadilly lines i've found are the most reliable - the jubilee because it's newer, and piccadily lines because it generally has to be reliable more than others as it goes through to heathrow.

airport:

the underground station close to the churchill is marble arch, the next closest is bond st which are on the central line (red). I would suggest you take the underground on the piccadily line and then change through to get to Marble Arch. It shouldn't take you more than about 50 mins on the underground. It is a little trek from terminal 3 to the underground (about a 5-7 min walk). 50 min ride, with a change of lines in central london, and then a 5 min walk from marble arch. you'll need to cart your bags up some stairs upon arrival at marble arch. (just two small flights of about 20 steps each). The cost - buy a day travel card (valid after 930am) for 6 pounds. That will get you free travel throughout the underground for the rest of the day. The fare on it's own I think is about 4.70 or so. So it's worth paying a little more.

alternatively, you could take the heathrow express (30 mins) - correct me if i'm wrong but it's about 15 pounds to paddington station, then you'd need to pay for an underground (about 2-3 pounds) or cab it (cab would cost you about 5-7 pounds if the traffic is ok). So all up expect to be forking out 25 pounds or about 22 pounds per person v. 6 pounds per person. And it will take you just as long or save you about 15 mins. If you're an older, more "conservative traveller" and don't mind the cash and carting bags around stairs, take the heathrow express then cab it from central london, or just cab it from heathrow to town

transport:

the underground as stated is just a short, interesting, safe, 5 min walk to Marble arch, or a 10-12 min walk to bond st station.

divaof travel Mar 30, 2005 5:07 am

Originally Posted by sggolf
Here's more information on the "congestion charging" or the fee required to be paid if you drive your car in the "restricted zone".

http://www.cclondon.com/index.shtml

Thanks for this information. I would not rent a car at all if I were just going to London. I rented a car because I have in-laws in various parts of England, and I was back and forth to London.

So in addition to $50/night parking the hotel is actually in the congestion zone. However, residents in the congestion zone seem to be exempt from the fine. I would argue that hotel guests are "temporary residents" but somehow I don't feel it works that way.

RTWSTARALLIANCE Mar 30, 2005 7:55 am

Thank you for the directions. Can someone point me to a place that has directions from Marble Arch? Or simple left - right so to speak walking directions. Thank you