Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM
I didn't think trying to keep the price to under $700/nt was cheap but I guess for Dubai, it is!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 5:06 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We were there over the weekend using up my last 3 FFNs - and used DL miles to try out EK's F (only got the 345 for the return though).

Very pleased with the hotel. Received an e-mail confirmation a few days before included a confirmation of upgrade to GC level and offer for pickup from the airport (which I declined since it was probably simpler to use EK's chauffeur drive). Diamond amenity in the room included a bottle of Red Wine, box of chocolates and a box of dates. Overall the staff was very pleasant including the GC staff. Negatives for this property are the gym/spa staff had a bit of an attitude and the internet access is rather expensive 60 dirhans (about $17) for 30 minute card (complimentary usage of laptop in the GC though).
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by peteropny
... the internet access is rather expensive 60 dirhans (about $17) for 30 minute card (complimentary usage of laptop in the GC though)...
Also the internet content is filtered in UAE. No access to more entertaining sites without using an overseas proxy.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:44 pm
pdb

Update on Internet Access and Charges therefore

Can anyone with recent experience report on the current internet access info at the GH Dubai--e.g. cost of in-room access. Also, is the in-room access via cable or wi-fi? Is there complimentary wi-fi in the GC? Are the internet charges waived for the suites? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I can confirm that there is free Wi-Fi in the GC Lounge. I can't say anything regarding other areas.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Also the internet content is filtered in UAE. No access to more entertaining sites without using an overseas proxy.
How does one do that?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 4:32 am
pdb

Originally Posted by ACfly
How does one do that?
You can access websites through another computer outside of UAE (e.g. a desktop in your office or home) using www.logmein.com, as an example.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:20 pm

Grand Hyatt Dubai

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Dubai in February 2008, It is one awesome property. Simply loved it!!!

I asked for the executive club and the agent at the front desk said I will need to
pay Dhs 700/night. But it is worth it, a higher floor, lot of bottled water, fresh fruits, Dates and morning breakfast with the freshest juices. Plus in the evening no host reception with Johnny Walker, Absolut etc and lot of munchies.
To top it off they will pick you up and drop you off at the airport in a BMW 7 series.They have nice creek view rooms (I chose that one). Also they have some peacocks in the garden, nice birds.

I can't wait to go back!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
what is standard upgrade for Diamonds from Grand King room and does in include club access?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Richey66
what is standard upgrade for Diamonds from Grand King room and does in include club access?
From my experience in 4/07, we got a King room (city facing - not creek) with Club access. The most impressive part was that they confirmed the upgrade about a week in advance and e-mailed me about it to offer complimentary pickup at the airport (which we declined since we were in F on EK - which included a free transfer anyways). Airport transfer (both ways) is included with rooms on Club level.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:59 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by peteropny
From my experience in 4/07, we got a King room (city facing - not creek) with Club access. The most impressive part was that they confirmed the upgrade about a week in advance and e-mailed me about it to offer complimentary pickup at the airport (which we declined since we were in F on EK - which included a free transfer anyways). Airport transfer (both ways) is included with rooms on Club level.
that's very good, hoping for the same treatment as a newly minted Diamond^

PH didn't have any FFN nights, so I'm going to be here at the GH DXB.

Is there anything (such as markets, restaurants) within walking distance of the GH DXB ? (looking for non-hotel shops/restaurants)

Also in the PH DXB thread there were statements to the effect that one could not get a "normal" taxi at higher end hotels and that the taxis present at these hotels had higher meter rates. Any confirm ?

--
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Is there anything (such as markets, restaurants) within walking distance of the GH DXB ? (looking for non-hotel shops/restaurants)

Also in the PH DXB thread there were statements to the effect that one could not get a "normal" taxi at higher end hotels and that the taxis present at these hotels had higher meter rates. Any confirm ?
Wafi mall isn't far - but its probably about a 10 minute walk and the area isn't really designed for walking. We took a taxi there twice - cost was IIRC about 10 AED. We only took a taxi 2 other times - once back from the Mall of the Emirates at a cost about what RTWSTARALLIANCE paid.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:30 pm

I don't mean to discourage you, but I had a one night stay at GH Dubai last month. In my book, it's a a dump. NEVER AGAIN!!! The room I had looked like it had not been refreshed since it first opened. The decor is old and tired, the room smelled musty. The bathroom is large, but the shower drain did not work well, so I had to shower with an inch of water on the floor.

I regretted very much not extending my stay at Park Hyatt for one more night and blamed my curiosity for wanting to try GH.

One other bad experience was during check in, I was 'offered' a Club Room for additional charge. I had to see the Room Manager to explain that as a Diamond, I was entitled to a Club Room if it was available.

Park Hyatt is way much better than GH. They're no way in the same level, or even close. Can't you contact PH directly and see if they can offer you some rooms on FFN?

And judging from photos on the website, Hyatt Regency looks even nicer than GH.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
that's very good, hoping for the same treatment as a newly minted Diamond^

PH didn't have any FFN nights, so I'm going to be here at the GH DXB.

--
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I don't mean to discourage you, but I had a one night stay at GH Dubai last month. In my book, it's a a dump. NEVER AGAIN!!! The room I had looked like it had not been refreshed since it first opened. The decor is old and tired, the room smelled musty. The bathroom is large, but the shower drain did not work well, so I had to shower with an inch of water on the floor.

Park Hyatt is way much better than GH. They're no way in the same level, or even close. Can't you contact PH directly and see if they can offer you some rooms on FFN?

Just my 2 cents.
Based upon those 2 cents I will certainly try to contact the PH directly.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:48 am
pdb

FWIW, my experience, in June, at the GH was excellent. Club level room was impeccable. Club had great variety of offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.