Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by mecabq
I stayed here last week and they upgraded me to a Prince Suite for some reason (I wasn't using a certificate). An utterly huge, and fairly nice, room (but in typical Dubai fashion, a lot of things didn't work well). One benefit that I enjoyed was the stack of better-than-usual magazines, including the Economist, with two copies of each title for good measure.

I think that I like this property better than the Park, all things considered. The rooms are not as elegant of course, and I miss my friend Blaise Mautin (although the Prince Suite gave many 6-ounce bottles of Penhaligon toiletries, which are not as lousy as the usual White River Falls), and it's hard to beat the terraces at the Park. But between the Grand Club -- one of the better ones in the system -- the myriad great food and beverage options, and the location, I prefer it for a longer stay. Perhaps I am not alone; in my last handful of trips to Dubai, the Park rate has been lower than the Grand.

They also gave me complimentary 7-series transportation to the airport, which the Park did once but which seems to not be the norm.
mecabq, I highjacked your response about the Grand Dubai from the suite upgrade master thread to post a reply here, I hope you do not mind.

I cannot agree more with most of your comments. White River Falls are nothing to write home about, but the lemon-scented Penhaligon toiletries are really nice. We received several 100 and 200 ml bottles, even for turndown service and I also enjoyed a copy of the Economist and Business Traveller Asia ( with a review of the Park Chicago ) provided in the room.

Fresh flowers were provided twice during our stay, as well as a bottle of red and white wine and welcome letter by the GM ( a Dutch citizen, who also worked at the Regency Cologne ) Diamond Amenity at the Regency Dubai used to be a small ( 10 inch ) stuffed camel, which was a little bit more creative...

Staff was trying hard, but lacked competence several times...ice not delivered, master key left in room after cleaning etc. Labour is cheap and not really loyal, so one cannot blame Hyatt too much for not training the staff better. BMW 7 series transfer to DXB was also provided free of charge. Europcar desk in the lobby provided great service as well.

Grand Club is one, if not the biggest system-wide. Quality still very good ( benchmarking it with many American properties ) but not nowhere near the quality offered some years ago. Some dishes were excellent though, peppered crust tuna or veal come to mind. Bakery items for breakfast were downright pathetic, though.

Breakfast until 11 and 12 on weekends plus cocktail hours from 6 to 9 and cheese selection from 9 to 12 are leading examples how such a club should be run, also in case of beverages offered, e.g free alcohol ( open bar including quality spirits, wine and sparkling wine )

Very nice property to use a suite upgrade.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Hi All,

I just checked in this morning to the Grand Hyatt Dubai. I burned 2 Diamond upgrade certificates to upgrade to a suite for my 10 night stay.

The hotel seems pretty nice at the moment, the suite is 88 square meters (900 sq ft) and has a wonderful bathroom (could use a Jacuzzi though)...

The minibar is complamentry for those staying in a suite, but they no longer offer Champagne in the minibar, did some flyertalkers abuse this privilage on a previous stay?

Anyways, I gotta head off to my meetings. If anyone has any questions, I will be here for another 10 days. If any other FT'ers are staying in Dubai, shoot me a PM and we can grab a drink.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by thesilb
Nonalcoholic sparkling date juice...but there was plenty of free French champage restocked daily to the minibar (minibar = free in suites).
Any chance we can confirm this is still the case? 2010 November?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:29 am

As of September 2010, no more Champagne in the minibar in suites.

I am currently staying in a suite...

Cheers,

Timo
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by timo469
Hi All,

I just checked in this morning to the Grand Hyatt Dubai. I burned 2 Diamond upgrade certificates to upgrade to a suite for my 10 night stay.

The hotel seems pretty nice at the moment, the suite is 88 square meters (900 sq ft) and has a wonderful bathroom (could use a Jacuzzi though)...

The minibar is complamentry for those staying in a suite, but they no longer offer Champagne in the minibar, did some flyertalkers abuse this privilage on a previous stay?

Anyways, I gotta head off to my meetings. If anyone has any questions, I will be here for another 10 days. If any other FT'ers are staying in Dubai, shoot me a PM and we can grab a drink.

Cheers,

Timo

you on a paid stay or using diamond suite upgrade?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:09 am

I used one of my four suite upgrade certificates.

Cheers,

Timo
in Suite 655
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just got back from a one night stay. The staff was very friendly and seemed to go the extra mile on all of our requests. Unfortuantely they missed on one of the bigger ones...that being our wake up call!

Besides that we really enjoyed our stay. The lounge was excellent. Very nice spread during breakfast...my wife loved the hummus. The evening hors d'oeuvers were very nice. I was surprised by how good the sushi maki and tuna nigirii was. The beaujolais they had available was also excellent.

A nice bottle of South African Pinotage and a huge bowl of fruit was waiting in our room when we arrived.

The BMW 7 series transfer worked like a charm...apparently they offer it to all Diamond members.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I have just spent a week at the GH Dubai and was impressed.

The standard sized Club rooms were spacious rather than huge but comfortable with a large bathroom. The continental breakfast was fine and the evening snacks with drinks (6-9) was mostly very good, although the variety of dishes was a little inconsistent, at least for my carnivore colleague!

Quality and helpful staff.

I would return.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by timo469
As of September 2010, no more Champagne in the minibar in suites.

I am currently staying in a suite...

Cheers,

Timo

gee it was only a little 200ml pop bottle of moet!!
but im upgrading cause of that!
In house now
called down and the gummy bears and the other lollies are included

yippeee
went to the pool today

well its not the PH DXB!!!
if it wasnt so hot id definitely be at the PH

Last edited by tinkybelle; Jul 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: Hyatt_DIA, ANA_DIA
Smile Week of August 21 stay

Used suite upgrade and upgraded to Ambassador suite.
The hotel itself is indeed magnificent but not so different from other "grand" hotels in the world. There are many expensive equipment in the room such as "two" sets of Bang & Oflusen' LCD/DVD/CD system. No champaigne found in the mini-bar. Indoor poor (with jagzy) is pleasant, specifically at this super hot season. Chauffer service from the airport was provided free of charge. It was a nice Mercedes S 350 limusine. When on board, cool water and towels were served. Considering the amount of money I have spent, the hotel treated me very very well. Thank you very much.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
Points upgardes etc.

Anyone with Diamond status stayed here the last time on points?
What room do I get when booking standard with points?
Is airport transfer still complementary for diamonds?
Thank you for pointing that out for me.
regards
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
Arriving time

How do you book your nights?
flight will be in dubai on 1.30 am, recieving bags and beeing at the hotel will be around 3.30 am I guess...I think I have to pay extra for that right?
If we are arriving at the 5.12 at 3.30 am I have to pay or use points also for the night from 4.12 to 5.12 right?
Advise please
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
That is how it typically works. The only time I would attempt a (very) early check in without the previous night res is if I was arriving after 8 am. As a matter of fact, I did this exact thing at GH Dubai a couple of years ago and I was in my room by 8:30 - no questions asked. There is no hard and fast rule about this but one should be preparred to wait until official check in time if (s)he were to attempt an early check in.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: KiwiCollection VIP, A|Club Plat, HH Gold
First of all I wanna share an incident, which - I hope - was an exception:

As a Diamond, who spent 207 nights in Hyatt Hotels last year, my friend used some of her points for a complimentary night in the Grand Hyatt Dubai on her birthday!!! She booked a club room and on arrival they had a regular room with the crappiest view you can have at that property prepared for us. She complained, that she booked a club room which was confirmed and of course costs more than a regular room. They told us that all club rooms are sold out to money-paying customers and since our room is paid with points, the money paying customers are priority. (Imo, not a very nice way to treat one of Hyatts top 100 customers of 2011). We went to the standard room then and my friend asked to talk to the GM. About an hour later they had a club room prepared for us and another hour later delivered a complimentary small birthday cake.

F&B in the club lounge is alright. There is not a lot to choose from, but quality and service is good.

The hotel, especially the rooms, really need extensive modernisation and refurbishment. The furniture is really old with lots of usage marks and totally out of fashion (if that has ever been fashionable).

Location used to be good when property was build, but now isnt anymore. Good for stop overs, if you wanna be close to the airport.

Overall: I know the hotels in and around Dubai very well and would not recommend the Grand Hyatt, because there are better hotels, in better locations and for same or even less money.

PS: There is a German Octoberfest every year at the Grand Hyatt (public, you dont need to be a hotel guest), which is very authentic and VERY popular (book early in advance at the German Chamber of Commerce). If you happen to be there at around that time, definitely worth a visit
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We had a fantastic stay at the Grand Hyatt Dubai in June. Full review here. We used a suite upgrade certificate, which was good value. The car service is not bad either - 400 AED for transfer to Al Maha in S-class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.