Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz Prez's Circle
Breakfast

Any globalist breakfast experiences of late? Is that food remarkable or just average?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Yarhead
Any globalist breakfast experiences of late? Is that food remarkable or just average?
It’s meh. You get a daily credit to use at the market on the lobby level, though the lines are often long in the morning. No Grand Club current exists for Diamond, err, Globalist at the moment.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, the place has been a dump for many years.
I have visited this property over a hundred times since 2000 until just before Covid. Love to hear your definition of a dump.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I have visited this property over a hundred times since 2000 until just before Covid. Love to hear your definition of a dump.
Even before the pandemic, the experience at this hotel largely depended on the room that was assigned. People with status that stayed here often probably knew how to request an acceptable room and IMO that could make or break your stay there.

Besides that, there were often elevator issues and the cleanliness of the place was never great with garbage left in the hallways for hours on end. So yeah, even for those of us that tolerated the place and had a decent experience, with the physical layout of the rooms impossible to change and the physical plant stuck back in the decade when the hotel was originally built .. yeah, a lot of people consider it a "dump". That said, some of us, I guess you included, opted to figure out how to get a decent room in a decent part of the hotel at a reasonable price and after they expanded the RC and started checking for room numbers at the door, the RC was decent for a domestic RC, but still often overcrowded. Now that's gone, with some rumors of it possibly returning.

Doesn't that pretty much sum it up?

-David
drod likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:31 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Even before the pandemic, the experience at this hotel largely depended on the room that was assigned. People with status that stayed here often probably knew how to request an acceptable room and IMO that could make or break your stay there.

Besides that, there were often elevator issues and the cleanliness of the place was never great with garbage left in the hallways for hours on end. So yeah, even for those of us that tolerated the place and had a decent experience, with the physical layout of the rooms impossible to change and the physical plant stuck back in the decade when the hotel was originally built .. yeah, a lot of people consider it a "dump". That said, some of us, I guess you included, opted to figure out how to get a decent room in a decent part of the hotel at a reasonable price and after they expanded the RC and started checking for room numbers at the door, the RC was decent for a domestic RC, but still often overcrowded. Now that's gone, with some rumors of it possibly returning.

-David
Indeed. Well said
Without a club or a restaurant it would be tough for me to consider atm as the benefit in my perception is 0
other than the right upgraded suite/room just as you shared
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Totally agree that the RC and may I add the gym were the stars. Not many US clubs can match what they offer, and the gym is of decent size with a variety of equipment. I probably benefited from being Diamond/Glob all those years and knowing what rooms I liked (rooms facing the back XX30s-XX50.
And like you, I will only return after the RC reopens... crossing my fingers it will be soon.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 2:56 pm

Totally agree that the RC and may I add the gym were the stars. Not many US clubs can match what they offer, and the gym is of decent size with a variety of equipment. I probably benefited from being Diamond/Glob all those years and knowing what rooms I liked (rooms facing the back XX30s-XX50.
And like you, I will only return after the RC reopens... crossing my fingers it will be soon.
I'd happily take a restaurant to have breakfast in even if the club doesn't reopen.But no lines for me slinging out the microwaved nuked egg mc muffins
That's a pass for now.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yep, absolutely spot on. My one stay here is was in a paid "suite" that was simply a moderate sized room, with horrible, beat-up furnishings, a tiny closet of a bath, and all kinds of maintenance issues. Trash piled up in the hallways was never cleared. And this was before Covid.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Love to hear your definition of a dump.
Dirty, badly-maintained physical plant. Cheap room furnishings. Tiny bathrooms. Generally crappy views. Loud rooms. Balky, cranky, small, unreliable elevators. Service levels cycling through diffident, lackadaisical, unreliable, incompetent, and hostile. Cursed location: central, but crowds and mess everywhere.

Sounds like a dump to me.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Dirty, badly-maintained physical plant. Cheap room furnishings. Tiny bathrooms. Generally crappy views. Loud rooms. Balky, cranky, small, unreliable elevators. Service levels cycling through diffident, lackadaisical, unreliable, incompetent, and hostile. Cursed location: central, but crowds and mess everywhere.

Definition of older Hyatt Place properties
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep, absolutely spot on. My one stay here is was in a paid "suite" that was simply a moderate sized room, with horrible, beat-up furnishings, a tiny closet of a bath, and all kinds of maintenance issues. Trash piled up in the hallways was never cleared. And this was before Covid.
Thank you for admitting your experience is based on ONE stay. With over 100 stays, I can assure you this is not the norm. My deepest apologies this happened to you.

Originally Posted by Pickles
Thanks for collecting the bits of negative comments and summarizing here. I guess you never stayed.
Remember this is not the OMNI thread where conspiracy theories are taken as fact.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for admitting your experience is based on ONE stay. With over 100 stays, I can assure you this is not the norm. My deepest apologies this happened to you.

Thanks for collecting the bits of negative comments and summarizing here. I guess you never stayed.
Remember this is not the OMNI thread where conspiracy theories are taken as fact.
I have stayed multiple times before COVID and since it reopened. The description is not inaccurate. The place is subpar for a Hyatt and has been for a long time. The only thing it has going for it are extremely low rates over the winter and convenience for those who need a place in midtown / near Grand Central (at the cost of being in midtown / near Grand Central...).
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've stayed there many, many times, maybe dozens. I've also stayed at most other Hyatts in NYC. This particular Hyatt ranks at the very bottom of my multiple Hyatt experiences in NYC. The only reason I stayed there was because I was attending a conference on site or the rates were so attractive that I just held my nose and put up with the place. So you could say I got what I paid for. But it's still objectively a dump. Not quite the (dearly departed) Roosevelt, but close. Same Mean Streets vibe of the worst of NYC.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I have stayed multiple times before COVID and since it reopened. The description is not inaccurate. The place is subpar for a Hyatt and has been for a long time. The only thing it has going for it are extremely low rates over the winter and convenience for those who need a place in midtown / near Grand Central (at the cost of being in midtown / near Grand Central...).
Plenty of hotels around midtown near Grand Central to choose from during covid that were dirt cheap. Hope is not some kind of hotel Stockholm syndrome you're experiencing that bring you back.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thank you for admitting your experience is based on ONE stay. With over 100 stays, I can assure you this is not the norm.
Personally, I'm not a masochistic or otherwise into self-inflicted suffering. One bad experience is more than enough for me.

And btw, you are massively outvoted here on whether my stay was indeed "the norm." Just goes to show that not everyone has the same level of standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.