Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by strickerj
That makes sense too. I actually stayed here back in 2001 on a school trip. It's sad to read how it's gone downhill.
Really wanted to stay here in the weeks ahead but for 300 dollars a night that horrible
grab and go market place (sorry not my thing or lines )is a big no go sadly
I opted for a mix of The Conrad Midtown,The Park Hyatt and a low end Marriott property all of which have good breakfasts
Lounge,restaurants,room service or I’m out otherwise
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:31 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I'm there right now and have to sadly report the lounge is still closed. You now get a 15$ voucher for the food court... great.

There is really nothing Grand about this hotel anymore. Check-In area has been reduced in size with four desks left, half of the lobby is blocked and empty. The Check in process was meh at best, in addition double bedroom suite was not ready at 16:00. Was told I'd get an E-Mail once ready, which I did not get. Went to give luggage, the attitude of some employees seems to match the state of the hotel, I probably wouldn't be motivated working there either... Couldn't even find out if breakfast is a thing. It's as if they are not even trying. You can see some ressemblences of former glory shining through a bit, but the aftertaste is all that's left.

Came back after dinner to get the keys, luggage was not brought up to the room due to Covid rules. Ended up hauling it up myself, which is no big deal really. Was easier trying to locate any Bellboy or other member of staff.

Rooms are nice, but have seen better days. Minibar is empty, one of the cupboards is falling apart. It feels like they are missing some furniture, the living room is really empty and has lots of blank corners where I guess stuff used to be? Overall still not too bad and for 350$ per Person per Night for the double bedroom it's okay I guess. Next time I'm in New York I'll probably try another hotel.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Came back after dinner to get the keys, luggage was not brought up to the room due to Covid rules.
Huh? You can fly cross-country without a mask, but they won't bring your bags up to the room? Calling bs on the "covid" excuse.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh? You can fly cross-country without a mask, but they won't bring your bags up to the room? Calling bs on the "covid" excuse.
We had an Uber Driver that would not load his trunk with our luggage claiming he could get Covid
touching luggage 😷😳😮
He stood there glaring at us like get to work
So we did it ourselves!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
We had an Uber Driver that would not load his trunk with our luggage claiming he could get Covid
touching luggage 😷😳😮
He stood there glaring at us like get to work
So we did it ourselves!
Bet, he still wanted his tip for working during a pandemic.
Kacee and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I booked a two night stay here while attending the BRT last weekend. Hadn't visited since 2017 when the property was still the GH and I am disappointed to see what it has become.

I checked in around 12pm and there was still a separate Globalist line which let me skip about six or seven people waiting in the regular line. The agent was able to get me into a room without me having to wait (28th floor), though it was tiny as the rooms have always been when I've stayed in the past. Agent told me the lounge and restaurant are gone, though I could get breakfast at the shop just off the lobby. I was also told about a $15 food/beverage credit which I qualified for as Globalist. I was, however, told I could not use the breakfast benefit on the day of check-out which made no sense. In almost fifteen years of staying with Hyatt, most of that as Diamond/Globalist, I've never been denied breakfast on the day of check-out. I did the post stay survey and mentioned this, though the reply the hotel sent me totally ignored my comments. I also sent a note along to Hyatt corp. about this to make sure they aren't wrongly denying Globalist's their benefits.

The room was on the 28th floor which is accessible by a small bank of elevators at the far end of the lobby. Waits during my stay weren't too bad, but it could easily be long if there are a lot of people waiting to go up/down. The weekend also turned out to be pride fest, so NYC was packed. My floor didn't seem too crazy (thankfully), so no need for earplugs, etc. at night. On my final afternoon, I stopped by the market to spend my $15 and got a Clif Bar, bag of M&Ms and small bowl of berries. Total cost was just under $15 (a rip off, imo, but obviously NYC pricing). Just checked my Hyatt CC statement and noticed I was charged for the items. I've sent off an email to the Hyatt rep who emailed me after I did the survey and hopefully they'll refund it quickly.

Access to Grand Central Station is obviously a huge benefit as you can go through a side door vs. having to go outside and deal with everybody in front of the property. The front of the hotel smells like a mixture of marijuana and urine and was occupied by a number of transients while I walked to/from the hotel when not taking the subway.

Overall, I am disappointed to see the hotel lost the GH flag and hope whatever is supposed to replace it is decent. I decided to use points as my usual rates were way too pricey (23K points/night), though I certainly don't think the hotel is worth 23K/night.

Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I booked a two night stay here while attending the BRT last weekend. Hadn't visited since 2017 when the property was still the GH and I am disappointed to see what it has become.

I checked in around 12pm and there was still a separate Globalist line which let me skip about six or seven people waiting in the regular line. The agent was able to get me into a room without me having to wait (28th floor), though it was tiny as the rooms have always been when I've stayed in the past. Agent told me the lounge and restaurant are gone, though I could get breakfast at the shop just off the lobby. I was also told about a $15 food/beverage credit which I qualified for as Globalist. I was, however, told I could not use the breakfast benefit on the day of check-out which made no sense. In almost fifteen years of staying with Hyatt, most of that as Diamond/Globalist, I've never been denied breakfast on the day of check-out. I did the post stay survey and mentioned this, though the reply the hotel sent me totally ignored my comments. I also sent a note along to Hyatt corp. about this to make sure they aren't wrongly denying Globalist's their benefits.

The room was on the 28th floor which is accessible by a small bank of elevators at the far end of the lobby. Waits during my stay weren't too bad, but it could easily be long if there are a lot of people waiting to go up/down. The weekend also turned out to be pride fest, so NYC was packed. My floor didn't seem too crazy (thankfully), so no need for earplugs, etc. at night. On my final afternoon, I stopped by the market to spend my $15 and got a Clif Bar, bag of M&Ms and small bowl of berries. Total cost was just under $15 (a rip off, imo, but obviously NYC pricing). Just checked my Hyatt CC statement and noticed I was charged for the items. I've sent off an email to the Hyatt rep who emailed me after I did the survey and hopefully they'll refund it quickly.

Access to Grand Central Station is obviously a huge benefit as you can go through a side door vs. having to go outside and deal with everybody in front of the property. The front of the hotel smells like a mixture of marijuana and urine and was occupied by a number of transients while I walked to/from the hotel when not taking the subway.

Overall, I am disappointed to see the hotel lost the GH flag and hope whatever is supposed to replace it is decent. I decided to use points as my usual rates were way too pricey (23K points/night), though I certainly don't think the hotel is worth 23K/night.

Geez I’ve had some large rooms here… Maybe corner rooms, especially large. I can’t imagine staying here without the lounge… And there’s never been anything special here besides being a mid priced Hyatt property at which you get benefits if you’re a diamond/globalist.
MSPeconomist and cfabar1 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was also told about a $15 food/beverage credit which I qualified for as Globalist. I was, however, told I could not use the breakfast benefit on the day of check-out which made no sense. In almost fifteen years of staying with Hyatt, most of that as Diamond/Globalist, I've never been denied breakfast on the day of check-out.
I stayed at Hyatt Grand Central (HGC) and 5th Ave Centric a few times this year, and decided to stick with Hyatt Grand Central due to its room size. Centic room is tiny compares to HGC. Despite better sit-down breakfast option at the Centric, I find it waste my time in the morning rushing to the meetings, and the GHC grab'n go option suites me better and location is within 5 min from my usual meeitng places in NY. Hyatt Centric on 39th/5th is clearly a better property, but in the end, location and time point me back to the HGC.

I have never been told that I could not have breakfast on the date of check out. I was just there two weeks ago and had no issues. I had been told I could not have breakfast on the date of check in when I requested early morning check in a couple of times in the past. I will be back again in 10 days and see if this is indeed a policy change.

FYI, earlier in the year, the $15 was limited to be used for beverage only. That was a terrible policy. Enough people complained and now $15 is back to coer both beverage and food.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 30, 2022 at 1:08 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I booked a two night stay here while attending the BRT last weekend. Hadn't visited since 2017 when the property was still the GH and I am disappointed to see what it has become. …
Thanks for the review. I’ve sometimes thought of this hotel for a MR or 1 night pied-a-terre after dinner or theater as the location would make it easier than driving into the city. Almost every review has me chastising myself for that thinking.

If I may, what is “BRT”?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Thanks for the review. I’ve sometimes thought of this hotel for a MR or 1 night pied-a-terre after dinner or theater as the location would make it easier than driving into the city. Almost every review has me chastising myself for that thinking.

If I may, what is “BRT”?
dhammer53’s Brooklyn Reality Tour!

Brooklyn Realty Tour (BRT) Saturday June 25, 2022
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I doubt the replacement hotel ever happens. They really should just secure some tenants and get this place going again. NYC is in such a tepid place right now. Any meaningful renovation/demolition I think will be a long time away.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Im making switch from Bonvoy to Hyatt - booked here for Thanksgiving week. Even with the lack of lounge and breakfast, corner suite was 350/nt. Since college son is joining us, feels like this space and location is pretty good value. Am I wrong?

The Grayson looks interesting, if I get a suite upgrade on my Globalist run I may try there instead. But this location seems like a good backup plan.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Agent told me the lounge and restaurant are gone, though I could get breakfast at the shop just off the lobby. I was also told about a $15 food/beverage credit which I qualified for as Globalist. I was, however, told I could not use the breakfast benefit on the day of check-out which made no sense.
Seems like agent might have just had it flipped? Perhaps it was the $15 f/b credit that can't be used on the day of check-out, whereas the breakfast benefit is daily? (That would at least theoretically be justifiable or even sensible as a policy, assuming a night auditor etc. has the task of applying the $15 credits...)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Im making switch from Bonvoy to Hyatt - booked here for Thanksgiving week. Even with the lack of lounge and breakfast, corner suite was 350/nt. Since college son is joining us, feels like this space and location is pretty good value. Am I wrong?

The Grayson looks interesting, if I get a suite upgrade on my Globalist run I may try there instead. But this location seems like a good backup plan.
The corner suite is very small for a suite Its worth it to get a larger suite for 3 people IMHO.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
The reviews here are so bad, I'm surprised Hyatt hasn't made this a Cat 4 to maximize WoH redemptions.

As a reminder, this hotel only reopened because of NYC's absurd retroactive-Covid-pay law, which would have cost the owner big money had it remained closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.