Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Grand Central New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm here right now and though I am not crazy about my room (king deluxe on the interior well), it is quiet.

They promised to move me tomorrow, which is great.

The check in clerk was courteous and friendly and gave me the name of a good spa, which I am happy with.

The Regency club staff was pleasant, the coffee was fresh and the brownie was excellent.

I hope my room tomorrow is lighter than this one is today.

lala
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Stayed in the GHNYC on many occasions in late 2005, usually for two to three weeks at a time, and found it to be a fine establishment, with friendly staff.

The only issue I ever had was with one particular room, where the room safe didn’t work, and it took about 4 calls to the front desk over a period of two days, finally culminating in me sitting with a security guard to ensure that it was reset properly

The staff in the Regency Club deserve a special mention. My Mom and Dad, from Ireland, stayed in the GHNYC just after Easter using my GP Points, and they absolutely loved it. They always said they got a very warm welcome from all the staff.

I'd suggest you don't let this one bad experience put you off
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Trip Visit

I'm checking-in to this hotel tomorrow evening, so I'll post my thoughts when I get back.

I'm staying on the Regency Club floor ...and I assume the RC will be open on Sunday AM. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I'm checking-in to this hotel tomorrow evening, so I'll post my thoughts when I get back.

I'm staying on the Regency Club floor ...and I assume the RC will be open on Sunday AM. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me
They closed the RC on weekends after 9/11, but now it's open for 7 days.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: Various
My experience at GH NYC was not so stellar, but acceptable.

Positive:
Central/Convenient to many areas of Central Manhattan
Subway and Train Station are virtually next door
Great Regency Club Offerings

Needs Improvement:
Rooms size (Even R/C rooms) are pretty tight, same as many NYC hotels
Bathroom size pretty tight
Front Desk Staff/Line Que not very organized (guest waiting anywhere and jump in front of others)
Restaurant selection/prices weak
Concierge not really on their game/knowledge factor
Value for use of Hyatt Points (15k per nt are a better value elsewhere)
Most rooms have tiny windows and not much of a view

My thoughts on next visit to NYC? If I don't require being in the center of NYC, Hyatt Jersey City will be my best choice, why?

Rates/Points values much better
Served by NJ Subway, which is a direct link to Manhattan & WTC
Same subway serves Newark (EWR) with hardly any hassle in less than 30 mins
Modern/Tech-like hotel with solid furnishings/amenities
Staff 3 x or better with attitude, service etc
Most rooms have a stellar view
Noise factor is much lower
Unfortunately no regency club
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:41 am

Thumbs down Ebony Wiggins In the RC is Bad

I've returned from my weekend getaway to the GHNYC.

The room was pretty much what I expected --small, NYC standard room ...with an inferior bathroom. The bathroom was so small they didn't even have a toilet paper dispenser -just a roll lying on its side under the sink. (And for those that think the Boston Financial Center bathrooms are bad, they really need to check out this place.)

I booked a Regency Club room on the 31st floor. You needed your key to access this floor, but there was nothing special in terms of ammenities or room features. There were no flatscreen TVs, minibars, or special toiletries in the bath --just your regular Portico stuff. Valet parking, at $48/day, was decent... they grabbed my car right outside of the front door ...and had it waiting for me within 10 mins of calling for it at check-out.

And while I paid for a Regency Club room, and was given a Regency Club info card at check-in, Ebony Wiggins the concierge in the Regency Club room, refused to give me entry. She said while I paid for a Regency Club room (which she said comes with its own ammenities), I would have to give her $100 on the spot to gain admission. I don't know what ammenities my room had, but her blocking my admission to the RC room after I paid a RC rate is triggering a letter to Hyatt & to the hotel manager.

I was surprised by the clientelle in the RC though --lots of barefoot adults and children wearing pajamas (or simply long t-shirts and underwear) munching on breakfast.

Rather than challenge my entry, Ebony should have been doing a better job of enforcing the dresscode.

Will I be returning to this Hyatt? Absolutely not. If I need GP points, I'd stick to Jersey City or the other NJ Hyatts. If I need a room in New York, I'll stay at the Hilton properties. I've found that the Hiltons give me better rooms, better service, and better overall value. And even at the NY Hilton, while I've been asked to show my Diamond card for lounge service, they never denied me entry.

For a mediocre room, tiny bathroom, and run-in with Ebony, this place was not worth the money paid.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
And while I paid for a Regency Club room, and was given a Regency Club info card at check-in, Ebony Wiggins the concierge in the Regency Club room, refused to give me entry. She said while I paid for a Regency Club room (which she said comes with its own ammenities), I would have to give her $100 on the spot to gain admission. I don't know what ammenities my room had, but her blocking my admission to the RC room after I paid a RC rate is triggering a letter to Hyatt & to the hotel manager.
Very strange! I stayed at the GH NY over 10 times the past 2 years.. and I have never booked a RC room. Instead, as a diamond member I was always given access to the 31st floor through my keycard. Not once was I ever asked to show my card or any proof that I was eligble to use the RC.. It was given if I can get myself onto the 31st floor, that I was allowed to use the RC...
Old Jun 18, 2006, 4:02 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed at this hotel 2-3 times a year for 20 years -- never has the RC ever asked for ID.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:11 pm

[QUOTE=Weatherboy]
I was surprised by the clientelle in the RC though --lots of barefoot adults and children wearing pajamas (or simply long t-shirts and underwear) munching on breakfast.

I was there this weekend, too....were you there for the children with the piercing shrill screams this morning? It went on for about ten minutes before they strolled out.

It was a bit better Saturday. I came in around 8, and it was fairly quiet until 830, or so. I must admit to being kind of casual, i was wearing yoga pants and a tshirt (shoes, too), and visited after a ride up to the fitness center. I didn't stay up there, it was filled with half drunk-half sober guys attending a bachelor party, or wedding...all trying to show off with the free weights.

lalala will probably comment, too. We were across the hall from each other.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:39 pm

I have always found this place a bit of a dump and the last stay was FFN .I certainly wouldnt pay to stay here anymore.I did get a room On RC floor as diamond and did get into the club with no problems. but I found it a very inferior club and I also thought the RC attentants to be un attentive at best,
certainly NOT a flagship Hyatt and I always recommend my friends NOT stay there.
I always put them in the Astoria so I get no flack.
I have never been given anything more than a normal room and was very miffed when a good friend of mine who is silver got a suite on RC on a FFN.
they should be looking after their diamond members as MOST Hyatts do.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
You're Leaving Out Way Too Many Details

And you removed Ebony the Roadblock how? Much as I tire of the endless "compensation point" threads, this one might just qualify.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:40 pm

I Didn't

Originally Posted by jayer
And you removed Ebony the Roadblock how? Much as I tire of the endless "compensation point" threads, this one might just qualify.

I didn't remove the roadblock. Rather than create a scene when I knew she was wrong (she outright refused me in regardless of what I told her), I wrote down her name and left. In my notes to Hyatt (NYC & Corporate), I asked Hyatt to credit me the difference between a regular room and a Regency Club room.... its the least they can do.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:30 pm

I didn't remove the roadblock. Rather than create a scene when I knew she was wrong (she outright refused me in regardless of what I told her), I wrote down her name and left. In my notes to Hyatt (NYC & Corporate), I asked Hyatt to credit me the difference between a regular room and a Regency Club room.... its the least they can do.
You should have asked for more than just the rate difference!!! How in the world could she possibly justify denying you when PAID a RC rate? What was she thinking!!??? She must have just been mistaken or something, but you should certainly get the rate refund at the very least. Did you end up going in the RC at all, either the evening service or the cont. breakfast? I certainly would have had this Ebony lady call down to the front desk for them to straighten her out......
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

I can't believe this happened to you. The first I thought was that she was trying to shake you down, but that would have to be incredibly stupid to try to do that, particularly to a diamond who most likely knows the rules.

Do you know if she's a conceirge? Perhaps she was filling in for the weekend.

In any event, look for a PM from me. While I think the letters your sending are good, there has to be more that can be done to address this situation. It's completely unacceptable.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:38 am

deleted

Last edited by SkeptiCallie; Oct 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.