Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are there still (as yet unannounced) GP Program Changes yet to come ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

The above title says it all!

Last week at the Jersey City Hyatt I challenged the front desk guy as to why the food and beverage charges on my bill had been branded with the dreaded asterisk (*) and thus deemed as "ineligible" for GP points.

The guy explained that a bunch of new changes were being made to the Gold Passport Program that were scheduled for implementation on 15 March; and that he had the previous day attended a briefing session explaining the new changes. He also showed me a large folder containing copies of the Power Point presentations used in his briefing.

I explained that I was aware of some upcoming changes, but my information had not included any proposed changes regarding CHARGES that are eligible or ineligible for GP points.

He gave me a copy of one of the PP pages showing the following:

Ineligible Charges

* In-room movies
* Food and Beverage
* All taxes
* Laundry and Valet
* Banquet charges
* Business Services
* Meeting or function room charges
* Gift shop or retail purchases

He allowed me to quickly scan the rest of his folder. In addition to the above, there seemed to be other changes that were new to me. I don't wish to comment on these other changes as I was in a hurry to get to the airport and may I have mis-understood what I saw.

Perhaps others have more information

Last edited by Bondiboy; Mar 1, 2005 at 5:10 pm
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond; HHonors-Silver, Marriott- Gold
Originally Posted by Bondiboy

Last week at the Jersey City Hyatt I challenged the front desk guy as to why the food and beverage charges on my bill had been branded with the dreaded asterisk (*) and thus proclaimed "ineligible".

The guy explained that there were a bunch of new changes being made to the Gold Passport Program and that were scheduled for implementation on 15 March and that he had just (the previous day) attended a briefing session explainging the new changes to the staff of the hotel. He also produced a large folder of papers which were copies of the Power Point presentations used in his briefing.

I explained that I was aware of a number of upcoming changes, but I was not aware of any proposed changes regarding CHARGES that were eligible or ineligible for GP points.

He then showed me (and gave me a copy of) one of the PP pages showing the following:

Ineligible Charges

* In-room movies
* Food and Beverage
* All taxes
* Laundry and Valet
* Banquest charges
* Business Services

He allowed me to quickly scan the rest of his folder and in addition to the above, there seemed to be other changes that new to me. I don't wish to comment on what I saw because I may have mis-understood what I saw; and unfortunately, I was in a rush to get to the airport.

Whoa! The discussion on this is probably going to fly. Can we get the GoldPassport Concierge to comment on this???
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I noticed something odd about something else...

I was checking Hyatt rates online for potential trips, and I noticed that there are no longer a $50 cancellation fee.

IMHO, this is at least something positive. ^
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

As I mentioned in the FFN FAQs thread - last week I noticed that the telephone charges (both long distance and local) were lower but also had the then dreaded * notation.

The above list of ineligible charges' biggest change is food & beverage - which was next to a sure thing before. The rest of the list was typically ineligible anyways (with some exceptions).

Before we all get bent out of shape here, please remember that the strict concept of eligible charges as we've discussed here extensively doesn't really apply anymore since both award and PL stays are not supposed to generate a stay credit no matter what.

However, I do hope that Karen will comment on these changes soon.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Peteropny,

Will await your advising us!

Perhaps you can start a header at some point about what is and is not eligible?

If Hyatt really does away with food and beverage service as eligible charges for points -- this should be moot for FFNs, etc, going forward as reward and other sorts of now inelgible stays will not trigger same -- there is just no incentive to eat at the hotel restaurants.

I never understood Hilton's take on this re PLN stays, and if true, Hyatt appears to be going them one better, as I think one still gets credit from Hilton on award stays for such charges!!

Could you also ask about SPA charges at places where we used to earn such points, as well??

Better for us to know now, than later!

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Question Yikes!

If true, I simply do not understand why Hyatt or any hotel company would choose to disincentise their guest from using the hotel's services. I've always wondered why in-room movies never counted either, as they are almost pure profit for the hotel. ???? Simply doesn't make sense. Particularly as someone else noted, they're fixing the software to not count PLN, FFN, Award stays anyway...so what gives

Anyone care to explain or rationalize their thinking for me?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:22 pm

Maybe something to do with the new computer software?

I agree with what FTs said in this thread - that (a) it is does not feel right for Hyatt not to give points credit (as opposed to stay cred)for Food and Bev etc and (b) it matters little since after March 2005 there will no longer be the spectacle of people earning stay credit on award stay or Priceline simply by spending on F&B etc.

My guess is hence the amalgam of (a) and (b) above. We thought the new changes (no stay credit on priceline and award etc) are to be implemented by new software - But can it be it is not really a new software but is more so a new formula of point earning with the result that there are very few things that can qualify as incidentals, making it difficult/impossible for award Priceline stays to count as stays?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Incy Wincy - good analysis - I was going to say the same thing - but I've PMed Karen and asked her to look at this thread and comment quickly before we assume and discuss things that may be way off base - and I agree totally that not giving points for bar and restaurant is a big disincentive for people to actually use those places - especially given that many (if not most) hotel restaurants aren't typically a good value (price / quality) anyways.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
However, I do hope that Karen will comment on these changes soon.
I wouldn't bet on her responding so soon. In the past 2 weeks, I've sent numerous emails direct to her about some missing stay/credit issues, and have not had one single reply. I don't see Karen posting on this board that often either; Julia seemed to be much more active in the past. Can anyone verify that Karen is still with Gold Passport?????
Old Mar 1, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond; HHonors-Silver, Marriott- Gold
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I wouldn't bet on her responding so soon. In the past 2 weeks, I've sent numerous emails direct to her about some missing stay/credit issues, and have not had one single reply. I don't see Karen posting on this board that often either; Julia seemed to be much more active in the past. Can anyone verify that Karen is still with Gold Passport?????

In the meantime, let's keep speculating/assuming. That's always fun. Though I certainly do like Incy Wincy's analysis of the situation.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: HHGold; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; AA Platinum; NWA Gold
I just checked also my account and found out that my 1000 points in lieu of diamond amenity was just cancelled on my stay of 2/25/05. stay of 2/27 was not credited.......what's going on with hyatt jersey city.

Originally Posted by Bondiboy

Last week at the Jersey City Hyatt I challenged the front desk guy as to why the food and beverage charges on my bill had been branded with the dreaded asterisk (*) and thus deemed as "ineligible" for GP points.

The guy explained that a bunch of new changes were being made to the Gold Passport Program that were scheduled for implementation on 15 March; and that he had the previous day attended a briefing session explaining the new changes. He also showed me a large folder containing copies of the Power Point presentations used in his briefing.

I explained that I was aware of some upcoming changes, but my information had not included any proposed changes regarding CHARGES that are eligible or ineligible for GP points.

He gave me a copy of one of the PP pages showing the following:

Ineligible Charges

* In-room movies
* Food and Beverage
* All taxes
* Laundry and Valet
* Banquet charges
* Business Services

He allowed me to quickly scan the rest of his folder. In addition to the above, there seemed to be other changes that were new to me. I don't wish to comment on these other changes as I was in a hurry to get to the airport and may I have mis-understood what I saw.

Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
As NJUPINTHEAIR and others have said, I'll be going out to eat more often while traveling. The pure mediocrity of the food was slightly justifiable with points. QDoba Denver Tech Center and McCormick and Schmicks here I come.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Peteropny,

....I never understood Hilton's take on this re PLN stays, and if true, Hyatt appears to be going them one better, as I think one still gets credit from Hilton on award stays for such charges!
I think you are mistaken, Hilton was one of the first. I used to stay about 20 times per year at Hilton until one day when staying on a priceline rate they not only denied my request for the Hhonors benefits, but I could not even get Hilton points for eating in their restaurant. I then decided why bother with the loyalty program.

Since then my Hilton stays went from 20 - to 1 (no Hyatt) and Hyatt went from 0- 25.

I think this is not wise by either chain.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:52 pm

Well I am holding out hope that JC is a fluke regarding points for food. For some months now they have been asterisking charges at their bar, but not restaurant charges. Maybe this hotel is just weird.

I guess I'll take the snacks and wine for the amenity at JC now--no point in accepting the N1 amenity (1000 GP pts) if they aren't going to credit it.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
I think you are mistaken, Hilton was one of the first. I used to stay about 20 times per year at Hilton until one day when staying on a priceline rate they not only denied my request for the Hhonors benefits, but I could not even get Hilton points for eating in their restaurant. I then decided why bother with the loyalty program.

Since then my Hilton stays went from 20 - to 1 (no Hyatt) and Hyatt went from 0- 25.

I think this is not wise by either chain.
NJUPINTHEAIR is actually correct. Although you cannot get incidental points + stay credit for PL stays at Hilton, you can still get incidental points + stay credit for AWARD stays at Hilton.

I don't think this is wise either and I too will cut back on my eating at Hyatts from now on (of course I'll eat there at least once more using the 1,000 bonus point Dining Cert I just received in my Diamond Renewal packet). But eating at most Hyatts was really stretching it, at most hotels the food isn't as good as other local eating establishments. I only ever justified eating at Hyatts due to the convenience and the GP points.

However as others have posted, I also agree that this very well could just be a way to eliminate gettting stay credit for PL/award stays. If Hyatt only gives GP points + stay credit for the ACTUAL ROOM CHARGE, then there will be no way to get credits on PL/award stays. Although the more I think about it, the more I think this can't be the case because it seems that this strategy would backfire for Hyatt. No they wouldn't give as many free rooms away during FFN promos (and they wouldn't give as many people status either), but I'd think the drop in dining + spa charges by disgruntled customers who wouldn't get GP points would be a much greater loss for Hyatt. But then again, what do I know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.