Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Long Island (Wind Watch) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Long Island (Wind Watch) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
By the way, it may be worth it to rename the thread the "Hyatt Regency Long Island" as I believe that is what the hotel is now called. Just a mod suggestion.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:13 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Just had a nice stay here as a Hyatt Diamond member using a Diamond Suite Upgrade to a One bedroom suite.

As a Category 2 property, I think this hotel is a great deal for cash and points at $55 plus 4,000 points per night. If you're short a few nights/stays for Hyatt Diamond status and live in the NYC area, consider heading out to long island for a night for mattress run.

The hotel offered me good Diamond recognition including a full breakfast buffet or order off the menu breakfast. The only downside is there is no Regency Club at this property, but other than that it's a solid property.

Feel free to check out my full review with pictures of the suite.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Had a stay here last night. Uneventful and treated pleasantly throughout but they did give me a hard time at checkout regarding premium internet. They initially charged me, I asked for it to be taken off since it is now free for Platinum/Diamond. They were adamant that this was not the case but took it off as a courtesy to me. Then, I showed them the GP website, they acted surprised, then said that the "where available" language on the website meant that the property had a choice to offer this or not. Huh? I just asked the front desk woman to look into it further so that my next stay wouldn't have these issues.

Otherwise, its a nice property with a good bar/restaurant.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays here, thinking of a potential weekend stay for early October. Also, I stayed at the Hilton Long Island last weekend so if anyone who has stayed at both can rank it in comparison that would also be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Miesque; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:48 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I was here a bunch of times in Mar, Apr & May for short stays.
Hotel is clean & rooms are in good condition. The hot tub by the indoor pool has been broken forever.
I don't golf but the hotel is adjacent to the Hamlet.
Weekdays was the well dressed business crowd. Weekend crowd was very very different. Lots of kids & chaos in the indoor pool (outdoor pool was closed for season) - throwing footballs, jumping, splashing. I have small, but fairly brave, kids & one of them was not comfortable going into the pool on one occasion. Not sure what the crowd will be like during summer.
There was a wedding on most weekends in the spring.
Different front desk staff almost every time I stayed. Most are very new. All very nice & polite but very few knew anything about Diamond benefits. My diamond amenity points failed to post on half of my stays.
Most of my stays were largely utilitarian so I didn't care about room type. I never asked for, nor was I ever offered, a suite upgrade. Many of my stays were upgraded to 'better views' or the 'hypoallergenic' room which some consider an upgrade. I was always put on a high floor.
I think you'll need a car or an Uber as there's nothing within walking distance to the hotel. I don't know what the hotel shuttle policy is.
I had some billing problems that should have been easy to fix but instead took several calls to resolve. Very frustrating to have to keep following up & rechecking.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:05 pm

Quick update for those who may be considering this property. It may be the best option in the mid Long Island area, but don’t take that as a recommendation. It hits all of the checklist items to carry the Hyatt Regency flag but doesn’t exceed in any of them.

In my opinion, if this was a Hilton, it would be a Doubletree. Yes, it has a full service restaurant and a modest fitness facility with a pool, but it doesn’t wow, the staff don’t go out of their way, and the rooms are a bit outdated (seems like 10-12 years based on the thread’s prior notes).

On the the plus side, they seem to know all of the above, and are priced reasonably most of the year. And when you consider the area is pretty much all Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inn type properties, this quickly stands out. I wish management would do a bit more for frequent or high status (Globalist) guests, but that can be said of many properties.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by AMPfromBNA
Quick update for those who may be considering this property. It may be the best option in the mid Long Island area, but don’t take that as a recommendation. It hits all of the checklist items to carry the Hyatt Regency flag but doesn’t exceed in any of them.

In my opinion, if this was a Hilton, it would be a Doubletree. Yes, it has a full service restaurant and a modest fitness facility with a pool, but it doesn’t wow, the staff don’t go out of their way, and the rooms are a bit outdated (seems like 10-12 years based on the thread’s prior notes).

On the the plus side, they seem to know all of the above, and are priced reasonably most of the year. And when you consider the area is pretty much all Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inn type properties, this quickly stands out. I wish management would do a bit more for frequent or high status (Globalist) guests, but that can be said of many properties.
Just checked in last night. This property is pretty tired and could stand renovation. Yes it's reasonably priced; my corporate rate is about the same as the usual FairmptonGrinn suspects nearby and it's the only full-service hotel in the area. Hotel food usually isn't that good but sometimes I'm beat at the end of the work day and don't want to go out, like tonight! There's no restaurants nearby and you really need a car.

The HVAC in my room is really loud and I had them send the engineer on duty up but after listening to it he said they are all about the same, so no reason to change rooms. The compressor/heat pump/whatever it is kicks on even when the blower isn't running which is weird. The bathroom sink only has hot water in the morning. I'm not here long enough to make a big deal out of it. The four pillows are all different; one's a hard lump, one is squishy foam, one is nice and the other is flat as a board. But the mattress is comfy and unlike a lot of places the bedding isn't ridiculously hot and heavy -- I love going somewhere like Vegas or Miami in the summer and finding a heavyweight thick duvet on the bed... y'all I can't turn the AC down far enough to deal with that!

Updates: 1) I didn't have hot water last night nor earlier tonight, but I do now. 2) the bar food is pretty good.

Last edited by born sleepy; Jan 13, 2020 at 7:36 pm
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I know this thread is a bit dated and this isn't the most frequented hotel but thought I'd throw in some comments as I've been here three times now for short stays.

People have been pretty fair/accurate in their assessment. It's a nice property and very reasonably priced for what you get. They are not going to wow you with much but you will be pleasantly surprised that this is a Cat 2. I've basically had a stay in every type of room here (double, king, suite). They recognize Globalist well and have very good front desk service. If they make a mistake or inconvenience you in any way, they will catch it and correct it to your advantage. They had a lock that had an issue before I arrived that they identified so they gave me an extra room connected. They also erased all charges even though I had bought a little extra - front desk couldn't really tell why but they told me not to worry about it and that it'd be no charge regardless.

Breakfast is definitely overpriced for cash value but as Globalist I don't care much. It's basically your basic continental buffet but with slightly better service and quality. It's quite quiet there and every time I went there were not a lot of guests. Never had neighbors and parking lot was always empty. One great aspect of this is pretty much anyone can park for free so my friends were able to park their cars for the night when we went.

Can confirm everything above is correct about bedding and the HVAC. It's a little loud but it tends to turn off after some time. Beds are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.